Singapore Expats

Driving Requirements in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 13 Feb 2010 12:20 am

rachelsyuan wrote:Is a Singapore driving license valid in the United States?
Yes. As long as you are just a visitor. Otherwise you need to convert per state law.

carlesmarx

Re: Class 2 license

Post by carlesmarx » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:03 am

I'm just like you now :)

Did you get it? Class 2 for motorbikes I mean.

Thanks!
63n1 wrote:I have already passed my BTT, but due to a multitude of unfortunate events, haven't applied for a driving license yet. Lack of time, system down at the traffic police office (I didn't think these things could happen in Singapore :o ), etc etc...

I used to ride a 500 cc motorbike back in my home country (for almost 5 years). Would it be possible to convince the authorities to issue me a Class 2 license, instead of 2B? Do I have to necessarily produce documents testifying my ownership of a >400cc motorbike? Cuz I don't have any on me right now. My current license is about 10 years old; would this be convincing enough?

Don't really see myself puttering around in a <200 cc bike for a year and a <400 cc bike for another year :cry:

laisay

Scrap Value

Post by laisay » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 8:32 am

Dear All, does a 18-year old BMW318i still fetch any scrap value? Thanks.

Strong Eagle

Re: Scrap Value

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 9:16 am

laisay wrote:Dear All, does a 18-year old BMW318i still fetch any scrap value? Thanks.
What is the status of the COE on this car? If you have the plate number and owner NRIC, you can go to the OneMotoring website and get the rebate and scrap values.

laisay

scrap

Post by laisay » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 9:23 am

COE expiring soon. Does the body fetch any value? Thanks

laisay

scrap

Post by laisay » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 9:39 am

Just to add to my earlier post. I am looking at buying an old car (18 yrs) for $5.5k. COE expiring in 6 months time but seller says that it can be scraped for $4k now. How does that work? Thanks.

Strong Eagle

Re: scrap

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 5:33 pm

laisay wrote:Just to add to my earlier post. I am looking at buying an old car (18 yrs) for $5.5k. COE expiring in 6 months time but seller says that it can be scraped for $4k now. How does that work? Thanks.
The amount you would get is the COE rebate for unused COE time. For example, if you paid $20,000 for a COE, it means it costs you $2000 per year, and you would get a $1000 refund for six months remaining.

So, if you could get $4K for scrapping, and pay $5.5K for the vehicle, you are essentially paying $1.5K for the car, and $4K to run it on the road for COE costs for the next 6 months.

I bought a car for $3000 with 18 months COE left. I essentially got the car for free.

There are differences between scrapping and exporting and you need to go to the OneMotoring website to get the details. Also, can the COE be renwed? A car for $1500 is pretty cheap... you might want to renew COE.

mroskams

Post by mroskams » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 9:58 pm

Hello everyone!
Strong Eagle wrote:
The alternative is to buy a big bike and ride it on your current license but again you must prove that you can ride big bikes in order to get insurance. You then ride for multiple months and appeal for a class 2 on the grounds that you have already been riding one.

So, get proof you can ride big bikes. In fact, get proof you can ride bikes at all or you won't even qualify for a class 2b conversion.

I have just moved to Singapore for 2 years, got here about 2 weeks ago. I passed my full motorbike licence in the UK about a month ago. I am looking at buying a 400cc bike, I do not want bigger as although I have experience on a moped, I am still new to bigger bikes.

My question though is that on this page...

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... ersion.htm

it states that:

Foreigners

A foreigner above 18 years of age and holding a Work Pass/Dependent Pass/Student Pass may drive in Singapore with a valid class 3, 3A or 2B foreign licence, for a period of not more than 12 months. A Singapore driving licence is required after 12 months.

Does this mean that regardless of my full UK bike licence (which is shown on my licence card as category A for British licences) I can only ride 2B over here? Or is it giving the 'minimum' requirements to be able to drive either a car or bike, but you can actually drive bigger if your home country licence permits.

Strong Eagle, you say above (and in other posts I have searched in) that to convert a foreign licence to something higher than 2B you can ride a big bike during your 1st year then use this experience to persuade them at the licence place, but based on what the traffic website above says I would like to be 100% sure that I am allowed to ride a bigger bike and my insurance will be valid. Just because I can get insurance I don't feel confident it is all ok. I am sure they will still sell you a policy but somewhere in the small print it will say that you 'must have the correct licence otherwise the insurance is invalid'. Just another way to make more money!

I also sorta checked through bike hire websites. I found a website that will hire a 400cc bike out provided you have a home country licence written in English (or translated) which covers you to ride that category of bike. If you can hire a bike in category 2A or 2 to ride here, I presume you can own one and ride it here on the same principle (for 12 months).

I appreciate any help / reassurance you can offer! :)

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:08 pm

mroskams wrote:...got here about 2 weeks ago. I passed my full motorbike licence in the UK about a month ago... although I have experience on a moped, I am still new to bigger bikes.

Does this mean that regardless of my full UK bike licence (which is shown on my licence card as category A for British licences) I can only ride 2B over here?
because of your inexperience, you probably will get only 2B (200cc and below).

2A is possible during conversions - especially for japanese nationals because they are limited to 400cc and below in japan (the above 400cc class is more difficult to obtain in japan) but probably not likely in your case due to your inexperience.

class 2 is probably an impossibility, again due to your inexperience. mopeds don't count for anything in singapore. even if they are derestricted and bored beyond 49cc.

the roads and riding conditions in singapore are a little different... riding a <250cc bike will probably suffice for your local commuting needs.

ride safe.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

mroskams

Post by mroskams » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:20 pm

taxico wrote:

2A is possible during conversions - especially for japanese nationals because they are limited to 400cc and below in japan (the above 400cc class is more difficult to obtain in japan) but probably not likely in your case due to your inexperience.

class 2 is probably an impossibility, again due to your inexperience. mopeds don't count for anything in singapore. even if they are derestricted and bored beyond 49cc.

the roads and riding conditions in singapore are a little different... riding a <250cc bike will probably suffice for your local commuting needs.

ride safe.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that I might struggle to get a conversion but I will try that after about 10 months when I have experience on the 400. What I am really wanting to make sure for definite is that I can legally ride within my first 12 months a class 2A bike (which will be bought, transferred and insured fully for me and my UK full bike licence). I have already enquired about the insurance and it is a lot more expensive as I am in my first 12 months riding but this is my own problem I will just have to pay up! But I want to be legal!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:37 pm

mroskams wrote:
taxico wrote:

ride safe.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that I might struggle to get a conversion but I will try that after about 10 months when I have experience on the 400. What I am really wanting to make sure for definite is that I can legally ride within my first 12 months a class 2A bike (which will be bought, transferred and insured fully for me and my UK full bike licence). I have already enquired about the insurance and it is a lot more expensive as I am in my first 12 months riding but this is my own problem I will just have to pay up! But I want to be legal!
You can legally ride, and will be able to buy insurance. When you get here, touch base with an NTUC office. You'll find you'll only need your license from UK, an inspection sticker, and money.

The same conversion website also says:
Conversion for a higher capacity or open category motorcycle licence is normally not granted unless there are documentary proof of training, testing, ownership of bigger motorcycle and insurance policy indicating that you have gone through proper training and testing regime and have had at least one year riding experience on the road.

Since you will have taken training, you cover one part of the equation. If you ride your scooter for the better part of a year, you'll cover the rest. If you are very young, you might not get a conversion but if you are older, I don't see a problem.

mroskams

Post by mroskams » Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:39 pm

Strong Eagle, thanks for the reply.

I thought that would be the case, just like to be absolutely sure. I would hate to get busted for not complying without even realising!

I will rack up the experience over the next 10 months then convert. If I can only get 2B then so be it, I will sell the 400 and downgrade. One year later I will be back in the UK and on something even better! Hopefully I will be lucky and get 2A. I am 27, so not young, but not what I would call old haha!

Appreciate the help!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 15 May 2012 2:43 am

How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic87776.html

jgarnett

Post by jgarnett » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 1:21 pm

I have a Cambodian Drivers License. Can someone tell me of this is an accepted IL for conversion?

PNGMK

Re:

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 10:00 am

jgarnett wrote:I have a Cambodian Drivers License. Can someone tell me of this is an accepted IL for conversion?
By the looks of your nick - probably not as you're not Cambodian (a Cambodian may be able to convert but I suspect they won't allow an expat to convert - however I doubt a Cambodian license is acceptable in either case).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!