Singapore Expats

Driving Requirements in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: Re:

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 10:15 am

PNGMK wrote:
jgarnett wrote:I have a Cambodian Drivers License. Can someone tell me of this is an accepted IL for conversion?
By the looks of your nick - probably not as you're not Cambodian (a Cambodian may be able to convert but I suspect they won't allow an expat to convert - however I doubt a Cambodian license is acceptable in either case).
Replying to posts from Oct 10, 2012? Dewars fogging up the goggles?

mayrolllate

Re: Driving Requirements in Singapore

Post by mayrolllate » Tue, 27 Oct 2015 9:45 am

Has anyone gone through the process of getting an SG driver's license if you already have one from another country (for 15 years)? I would like to obtain an SG license if possible and am curious to hear about personal experiences going through this process. Thanks in advance

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:54 am

Book a basic theory test at any of the three driving centers... it will usually take a couple of months to get an appointment. Buy a Singapore motoring book at any bookstore. Study it well. Arrive at driving center at appointed date and time. Take computerized test. You will know the results immediately. If pass, walk over to traffic police window with money, test results, photograph. Permanent license arrives in a couple of weeks.

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 27 Oct 2015 12:54 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: If pass, walk over to traffic police window with money, test results, photograph.
This bit took me about 4 hours due to queues. And they don't take cash, I paid using my NETS cash card, can't remember what the other options were.

mayrolllate

Post by mayrolllate » Tue, 27 Oct 2015 12:58 pm

Great - thank you both

cadetpilot

Post by cadetpilot » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 7:23 pm

If you are staying in Singapore for a short period, i.e. you hold a short-term social visit pass, you do not need to convert to a Singapore licence to drive in Singapore.
You must possess a valid foreign licence and an International Driving Permit (IDP) issued by an authorised body in your own country, example the Automobile Association (AA). If an IDP is not available, an official translation of your foreign licence in English is required.
Drivers from ASEAN member countries only need to possess a valid driving licence issued by their licensing authority in order to drive in Singapore without an IDP.
To continue driving in Singapore after 12 months of staying here (from the date of your last entry into Singapore), you must obtain a valid Singapore driving licence.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 8:18 pm

cadetpilot wrote:If you are staying in Singapore for a short period, i.e. you hold a short-term social visit pass, you do not need to convert to a Singapore licence to drive in Singapore.
You must possess a valid foreign licence and an International Driving Permit (IDP) issued by an authorised body in your own country, example the Automobile Association (AA). If an IDP is not available, an official translation of your foreign licence in English is required.
Drivers from ASEAN member countries only need to possess a valid driving licence issued by their licensing authority in order to drive in Singapore without an IDP.
To continue driving in Singapore after 12 months of staying here (from the date of your last entry into Singapore), you must obtain a valid Singapore driving licence.
So you can copy some text from a gov. site and past it without acknowledging the source so it appears as yours. Bravo.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 8:35 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Good cut and paste, space cadet!

For anybody who might shiv-a-git, no independent thought processes were used in the making of this irrelevant post.

cadetpilot wrote:If you are staying in Singapore for a short period, i.e. you hold a short-term social visit pass, you do not need to convert to a Singapore licence to drive in Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

angelofhell215

Post by angelofhell215 » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 8:32 am

Hi all,

I'm Malaysian, on EP, just recently converted my driving license to SDL, am I still allowed to drive a Malaysia's car in Singapore?

thank you.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 9:02 am

angelofhell215 wrote:Hi all,

I'm Malaysian, on EP, just recently converted my driving license to SDL, am I still allowed to drive a Malaysia's car in Singapore?

thank you.
AFAIK, It's not linked to your driving license but residential status.

After: http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en ... ycles.html
You are not allowed to use or keep any foreign-registered vehicles in Singapore if you are a:

Singapore Citizen
Singapore Permanent Resident (PR)
Resident of Singapore
Long Term Visit Pass Holder or Dependant Pass Holder
Work Pass Holder who is also a resident of Singapore
Student Pass Holder
Training Employment Pass or Work Holiday Pass

However, any person who holds a Work Pass issued by Ministry of Manpower, who is also not a resident of Singapore, may drive a foreign-registered vehicle in Singapore only if ALL these conditions are met:

He is the registered owner of the vehicle.
He resides outside Singapore.
He has a valid insurance certificate and road tax to use the vehicle on Singapore roads.
The vehicle is kept or used outside Singapore for a total period of 6 hours or more every day.
The vehicle has an Autopass Card to validate its entry/ exit at Woodlands and Tuas Checkpoints and to pay for VEP/ toll charges.

So if you live in Singapore you can not drive a foreign reg. car in Singapore.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Driving Requirements in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 10:03 am

x9200 wrote: So if you live in Singapore you can not drive a foreign reg. car in Singapore.
Enough Malaysians with Singapore EP or PR, living across the causeway and working in Singapore, do drive Singapore cars, I guess for the VEP cost alone.

mikew
Location: Singapore, Australia, Andorra (mainly - it's complicated!)

Post by mikew » Sat, 22 Dec 2018 2:54 pm

My drivers license is from Andorra, where they don't have an international drivers license. I believe I need "an official translation" in English - but don't know who needs to do this. Can it be any certified translator, or does it need to be one that Singapore recommends?

Haruki
Regular
Regular

Post by Haruki » Tue, 05 May 2020 6:19 pm

mikew wrote:
Sat, 22 Dec 2018 2:54 pm
My drivers license is from Andorra, where they don't have an international drivers license. I believe I need "an official translation" in English - but don't know who needs to do this. Can it be any certified translator, or does it need to be one that Singapore recommends?
I don't think you'll need a translator if your license is already in English, but according to this site
(https://www.guidemesingapore.com/busine ... ng-licence), it seems like you can get an official translation from your Embassy, High Commission, or Singapore registered translation companies.

TropicalExpat
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by TropicalExpat » Tue, 04 Aug 2020 11:09 am

Apologies - found the answer to my stupid questions elsewhere on the forum