Singapore Expats

Quarantine for Pets in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
tarasbullba

Post by tarasbullba » Wed, 02 Nov 2011 9:52 am

poodlek wrote:
tarasbullba wrote: Thanks poodlek for your response,

He's an english bulldog, so there's no ban or restriction in this case. What I'm wondering is did you use a professional pet moving service in Toronto or Singapore or both (or did you do everything yourself) - and if so, what services did they provide?

For instance, we're trying to get him in on C1 / 10 day quarantine by the end of the year, but our vet is saying 2 months for the rabies serology test (which I believe we need prior to booking quarantine, which has to be 3 months in advance = not enough time), and I was wondering if a professional pet service in TO or Singapore could help. Any advice you can provide would be very much appreciated.

I'd pm you but I can't yet with my low post count - at the same time I'd rather not post a bunch adding nothing to the forum just to get my count to the right level. Thanks.
AFAIK, you don't need anything other than the pet's basic particulars to book the quarantine space. I did everything between Jan-April 2010, and the rabies serology wasn't taken until mid February. I had mine expedited, which cost an extra $200 per pet I believe, but you have time.

For shipping I used a company here which was a waste of time and money, but I also used Sea-Air Int'l via the KLM Cargo office at Pearson, which was terrific. I believe the lady who I worked with was named Dominque (?) I'll check on that if it's important to you.

Go to the AVA website and see about booking the quarantine space immediately, as they ask for 90 days notice, although I happen to believe they don't really need that and will accommodate requests after the 90 day limit. Because of a cock-up on the part of the PetMovers here in SG my import date had to be shifted two weeks before we left to three weeks later, so they effectively accepted my reservation 5 weeks out.

What part of TO are you in?
Thanks for your help poodlek. I'm around Queen West. I received a Quarantine Reservation Code from the AVA but they mention that the spot is not held until they receive the serology test, etc, though I'm not worried about this based on what you (and others) have posted about them not being too busy. I've also contacted Sea-Air (actually was trying to get through to KLM and/or Lufthansa Cargo due to their good reputations for this and they both only go through Sea-Air for pet transport from Pearson) and am likely to go with them (through Amsterdam via KLM cargo), but I have a couple of questions regarding how the dog gets picked up at Changi if I'm leaving on the same day. According to Sea-Air, they need to receive an "okay to forward" from the receiver in Singapore shortly before they will load the pet on the plane. How would you manage this if you're leaving after your pet? Is this where Petmovers came in? If you wouldn't mind shooting me your email or phone via pm we could move this conversation off the forums - would that be okay?

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 02 Nov 2011 1:29 pm

tarasbullba wrote: According to Sea-Air, they need to receive an "okay to forward" from the receiver in Singapore shortly before they will load the pet on the plane. How would you manage this if you're leaving after your pet? Is this where Petmovers came in?
AFAIK, the "okay to forward" is the import license which is issued only after all the stipulations have been met. Since this includes getting flea/tick treatment and medical clearance from a federal (Canadian) vet within a few days of arrival (in SIN) it is issued pretty much right before you leave. I think I remember being told that Sea-Air needed a copy of the import license at least 24 hours before departure to confirm their reservation. So you see it's a tricky juggling act with careful timing to get everything done in the last few days before departure.

As I remember it, our pets went straight from their last vet appointment four days before departure to the federal vet, who signed off on their health, then forwarded copies of everything to the AVA who issued the import license within 24 hours, then forwarded the copy of the license to Sea Air Int'l.

I asked about your location because the federal vet closest to us was near the airport, but I'm not sure if there's another one closer to you than that. Probably not, I'm guessing.

When you email me I'll forward you my emails from Sea-Air to see what I did.

As far as the pick up from Changi, yes, I used PetMovers for this, but I am reluctant to recommend them. Perhaps another forumer could help out with another recommendation here. Failing that, if you have a direct contact at the SAQS, they may be able to offer some help there. If I remember correctly, it was about 3-4 hours after the pets arrived before they were transferred to SAQS from Changi, I think because they were waiting for their vet inspections.

Joisey

Post by Joisey » Wed, 09 Nov 2011 4:53 am

Hello, I may be moving from the US to Singapore sometime in the next few months and I have a 9 yr old black lab mix that I'm worried about. I have a friend who's dog had a really bad experience on a much shorter flight and I want to do anything I can to avoid that. It sounds like PetMovers can help the process but what I am most concerned with is dehydration and other potential complications from the 18+ hr flight (plus sitting in the create before & after). I realize everyone says it is more stressful for the owners than for the dogs but I am still concerned.

I would be interested in hearing anybody's views on different pet relocation services.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 13 Nov 2011 4:20 pm

FYI, petmovers relocation service is to apply for your import permit, pick up your pet at Changi, deliver to SAQS, apply for dog license and deliver to your home when the quarantine period is over. They do not deal with airlines and will not arrange your pets' overseas travel.

For my pets' passage from Toronto I flew them with KLM Cargo via Amsterdam where they had a 14 hour layover and were brought out of their cages for some R&R. This obviously extended their overall trip significantly but it broke it into two more manageable chunks. In the end they arrived safe and sound, no worse for wear. I'm guessing you're on the west coast since you said the trip would be 18 hours, so I'm not sure you'd want to send your dog via Europe, but maybe you can try to find a KLM pacific route. When I did my research they had by far the best reputation for handling live animal cargo.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Thu, 16 Feb 2012 9:34 am

Hi -

I'm from US and moving to Singapore this summer. I've had to research a number of pet relocation services in order to satisfy due diligence requirements for my partner's HR department (they're paying for our cat's relocation).

I'm not trying to be an advert for the company, but after a lot of research, I've chosen petrelocation.com. They seem to be very well versed in moving cats from US to Singapore, their website is easy to navigate, and their staff is friendly and very helpful. We've chosen door-to-door service for our cat, and while the cost is expensive, it is not appreciably more than quotes from other organizations.

I hope this info is helpful, and since I'm still not totally sure about posting etiquette,I'll apologize in advance if this post isn't totally appropriate....

Good luck to all with your move(s)!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:26 am

uscate,

You can do us all a favor! After your pet relocation/quarantine is all finished, a full critique of the shipper/quarantine facilities would be useful for all of our readers now & in the near term future.

Thanks,

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:34 am

Will do! I'm thinking happy thoughts for an uneventful relo for Lillian, our 14 pound somewhat temperamental feline....

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:07 pm

uscate wrote:Will do! I'm thinking happy thoughts for an uneventful relo for Lillian, our 14 pound somewhat temperamental feline....
Looking forward to it! The most difficult part for us was by far the paperwork. I'm sure the pets didn't much enjoy their journey, but it was certainly uneventful. Good luck!

fenwaythewonderdog

Post by fenwaythewonderdog » Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:20 pm

Hi all- I'm new to the forum and really appreciate all the insights I've gained so far from the posts!! We have a very active 3.5 year old goldendoodle we want to ensure arrives safely from US to Singapore. From what I've read so far I've seen KLM recommended and petrelocation.com. Any other tips? I also like the idea of cheduleing a long layover in at least 1 stop to allow him to get out and eat/drink normally ... great suggestions so far in this post -- any others? Thanks much We have 2 months before moving so we are moving forward quickly!

samsharp

Quarantine for Pets in Singapore

Post by samsharp » Fri, 08 Jun 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks for the information it was really helpful..

The Travel Bug

Cats

Post by The Travel Bug » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 5:13 am

Hi, we are moving out to Singapore/JB in the fall. I have been doing a lot of research and it seems as if we’ll have to live in JB purely because of the cost.

We do have 3 cats and we are specifically asking if anyone has travelled with their pets to JB and/or Singapore. What are your experiences? From what I can see, Singapore has 1 month quarantine. Malaysia says they have anywhere from 1 week to 6 months quarantine. Has anyone flown into Malaysia with their pets and if so, how long did your quarantine end up being? I need to figure the best way to bring all 3 cats in.

Thanks! :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 5:26 am

How do you intend to live in JB and presumably work in Singapore. I.e. residency/work-pass? I hope you've researched that thoroughly.

p.s. I thought the above is potentially a bigger issue right now than pet quarantine hence my OT reply! :)

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 3:10 pm

We just relocated our cat from the US. Here’s a synopsis of our adventures in form filing - I mean relocation....

Forms - First of all, if you’re allergic to forms (as I am), my advice is to hire an agency that does this for a living....Singapore has a myriad of rules and regs that must be adhered to TO THE T, or everything falls apart and you can end up with either a delayed departure or a 30 day quarantine stay (or both). I learned this the hard way, when my departure for Singapore was delayed by several months because my cat’s initial rabies shot was a “live”

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular

Post by stuckmojo » Thu, 30 May 2013 7:43 pm

I am trying to figure out the various licences needed for the dog (an old female Rottweiler) and I am quite confused as to what I need to do.

- It states that the dog must be licenced, and then needs various things such as "obedience training", "2,000 SGD bankers' guarantee" and "insurance".

I assume these must be done after you get the licence, isn't it? Otherwise how can you take the dog home?

Since I am from the UK, there is no need for quarantine, so that's a big plus.

Any ideas of the costs (the MINIMAL) possible costs to get the tick in the "obedience training" box?

The dog is absolutely non-aggressive, totally passive and obedient. She is actually scared of the cat.

Thanks for reading.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 May 2013 8:25 pm

You will also have to muzzle her each time you walk out of your door with her as well.

3. What rules & regulations do dog owners have to be aware of?
For the purpose of rabies control all dogs above the age of 3 months have to be licensed by AVA. By law, a dog has to be under leash control when it is in a public place. In addition, some big breed dogs such as the Bull Mastiff, Bull Terrier, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd (and related crosses), Rottweiler and Perro de Presa Canario must be muzzled when in a public place.
http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/ava/apps/fcd_faq ... PaKA%3d%3d
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers