Singapore Expats

Quarantine for Pets in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
intbound

Flying cat from US to SIN in cabin

Post by intbound » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 8:22 am

We're considering a move to Singapore and have a 14 yr old cat. Due to her age, I'm uncomfortable placing her in the cargo area. Are there any airlines that will allow me to take my cat in the cabin with me from San Francisco to Singapore?

Ratpick_2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Ratpick_2000 » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:24 am

Some will allow pets under 10KG - including cage. But none I think that fly to Singapore.

Try Air Canada - I believe they still allow it. The cat will still require 10 days quarantine at this end FYI

Good luck

intbound

Post by intbound » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:37 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. I checked Air Canada's website and it looks like that may be an option. Thank you again! Lots to plan!

sonrisa

bringing dog from USA help

Post by sonrisa » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:36 pm

I have read this forum and am confused on my next step for transporting my dog to SG from USA. I have contacted the Pet Hotel, is that the quarantine place in SG? Is that the only one or are there others? Will the Pet Hotel help me with all the paperwork or are they only the place where he will stay for quarantine?
Is there a 10 day option for him?
We will be flying Delta, any experience with flying pets through them?

Ratpick_2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Ratpick_2000 » Fri, 04 Mar 2011 10:31 am

Don't use Pet Hotel - they are awful (and have a puppy farm onsite). Try speaking to Pet Movers - they are the best of an average bunch. They have a lot of experience of shipping pets into Singapore and will arrange everything at this end. They will require an airway bill number and flight details and can arrange after receipt.

(In order not to offend any sensibilities, the views expressed above are mine and mine alone)

The pet agent will arrange transport of your pet from the airport to the Government sanctioned quarantine facility (Sembawang) and the pet will remain there for the duration of the quarantine period. Visiting hours are limited to 2 hours per day in the afternoon. Sembawang is the ONLY quarantine facility on the island.

A word of caution - the claim from Sembawang Quarantine is that they need 3 months advance notice in order to book a quarantine space - in reality we found this to be completely untrue - the whole time our dogs were there (30 days) the place was about 1/4 full.

Good luck - PM if you need further details regarding the importation procedure and I'll try to assist as best as possible.

RE the 10 day quarantine - US imported pets have to go through the 10 days quarantine, no exceptions.

deep_84

Bringing cats to Singapore

Post by deep_84 » Mon, 28 Mar 2011 6:26 am

Hi all
i am currently residing in Ireland. My husband and I will be moving to Singapore in Aug this year. We have two cats, mainly indoors. I think they might not need quarantine. My concern is...will they be allowed in HDB flats?
They are well trained cats. It will be very hard to not bring them with us to Singapore.

Please advise on this matter.

Thanking in advance.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Mar 2011 7:01 am

The simple and most complete answer is NO.

HDB does not allow cats. And dogs are limited by both size/breed & number.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10326p.nsf ... enDocument
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

deep_84

Post by deep_84 » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 4:45 am

Thanks so much for the speedy response.

Very heartbreaking though :(

Big Brown

10 day vs 30 day

Post by Big Brown » Tue, 24 May 2011 12:23 am

Hi everyone. I'm condering moving a dog and cat from US to Singapore. One thing I'm confused about is whether the quarantine period is 10 days or 30 days. I always thought it was 30 days for the US, but i've read 10 days in a few other posts.

Can anyone elaborate on the difference? Obviously would love for it to be only 10 days but not sure what qualifies the animals for that.

Thanks very much!

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Re: 10 day vs 30 day

Post by poodlek » Wed, 25 May 2011 11:42 am

Big Brown wrote:Hi everyone. I'm condering moving a dog and cat from US to Singapore. One thing I'm confused about is whether the quarantine period is 10 days or 30 days. I always thought it was 30 days for the US, but i've read 10 days in a few other posts.

Can anyone elaborate on the difference? Obviously would love for it to be only 10 days but not sure what qualifies the animals for that.

Thanks very much!
If you're coming from the USA you have the option of doing only a 10 day quarantine, but there are different requirements (ie. extra shots, etc) you have to follow. You can find the requirement options (USA is Category C) http://www.ava.gov.sg/AnimalsPetSector/ ... eterinary1 here.

Kymber

Airlines that allow dogs in Cabin?

Post by Kymber » Mon, 30 May 2011 2:39 am

Hello all,

Are there any airlines that allow dogs to travel in the cabin from San Francisco? I saw further down the string a suggestion for Canada Air, but are there any others? Has anyone had 1st hand experience with this?

Also, will airlines make any special exceptions for California registered service animals?

I don't think my dog's service animal qualification will help at all with the quarantine, however it sounds like he qualifies for 7 days only :)

Thanks in advance,

tarasbullba

Post by tarasbullba » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:14 am

Coronado51 wrote:
poodlek wrote:
RugbyLad wrote:Did anyone bring a pet from Ireland/UK/NZ/Oz by flight with one ore more stops?
There is requirement from AVA to have a non-stop flight: There absolutely no non-stop flights from Ireland to Singapore. Minimum is one stop (e.g. in London). did anyone had an experience how to hire this convoy? How much it would cost etc?

Cheers.
My pets flew with KLM Cargo from Toronto-Singapore via Amsterdam. I paid for them to be taken out of the crates and fed/watered/exercised on their layover to reduce their stress. I'm not sure how this fit into the above quoted rule, but it was no secret in their paperwork and it wasn't questioned. Perhaps you could contact KLM Cargo with this question as they have a much broader understanding of international live animal transport than I do. In my experience they were very professional and knowledgeable.
Hi poodlek,

I will also be moving from TO to Singapore in the next few months. Would you be so kind to provide more information around the following?
-Flight costs
-Did you use a professional pet relocation company from Toronto, if so who?
-Did you fly with your pets on KLM too?

Thank you.
Hi poodlek and Coronado51,

I'm also looking to move a pet (bulldog) from Toronto to Singapore, and was wondering if you could provide any info and/or comments re: professional pet relocation companies in Toronto and Singapore. I'm either going KLM cargo for the flight (with the paid service walk / water / feed in Amsterdam) or Lufthansa (with their Animal lounge in Frankfurt). I want to do everything with the best care - since he's a bully he's prone to more issues than most on flights (even though he's very small and not at all overweight).

Thanks in advance for your help!

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 12:13 pm

tarasbullba wrote:
Coronado51 wrote:
poodlek wrote: My pets flew with KLM Cargo from Toronto-Singapore via Amsterdam. I paid for them to be taken out of the crates and fed/watered/exercised on their layover to reduce their stress. I'm not sure how this fit into the above quoted rule, but it was no secret in their paperwork and it wasn't questioned. Perhaps you could contact KLM Cargo with this question as they have a much broader understanding of international live animal transport than I do. In my experience they were very professional and knowledgeable.
Hi poodlek,

I will also be moving from TO to Singapore in the next few months. Would you be so kind to provide more information around the following?
-Flight costs

Thank you.

I'm also looking to move a pet (bulldog) from Toronto to Singapore, and was wondering if you could provide any info and/or comments re: professional pet relocation companies in Toronto and Singapore. I'm either going KLM cargo for the flight (with the paid service walk / water / feed in Amsterdam) or Lufthansa (with their Animal lounge in Frankfurt). I want to do everything with the best care - since he's a bully he's prone to more issues than most on flights (even though he's very small and not at all overweight).

First off, check to be sure your pet's breed is allowed into Singapore. Some breeds of dogs are either banned or restricted, and certain kinds of bulldogs are on the list. I can't say off hand, but you can check on the AVA website for details.

tarasbullba

Post by tarasbullba » Sun, 16 Oct 2011 1:08 am

poodlek wrote:
tarasbullba wrote:
Coronado51 wrote: Hi poodlek,

-Flight costs

Thank you.

First off, check to be sure your pet's breed is allowed into Singapore. Some breeds of dogs are either banned or restricted, and certain kinds of bulldogs are on the list. I can't say off hand, but you can check on the AVA website for details.
Thanks poodlek for your response,

He's an english bulldog, so there's no ban or restriction in this case. What I'm wondering is did you use a professional pet moving service in Toronto or Singapore or both (or did you do everything yourself) - and if so, what services did they provide?

For instance, we're trying to get him in on C1 / 10 day quarantine by the end of the year, but our vet is saying 2 months for the rabies serology test (which I believe we need prior to booking quarantine, which has to be 3 months in advance = not enough time), and I was wondering if a professional pet service in TO or Singapore could help. Any advice you can provide would be very much appreciated.

I'd pm you but I can't yet with my low post count - at the same time I'd rather not post a bunch adding nothing to the forum just to get my count to the right level. Thanks.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 19 Oct 2011 4:03 am

tarasbullba wrote: Thanks poodlek for your response,

He's an english bulldog, so there's no ban or restriction in this case. What I'm wondering is did you use a professional pet moving service in Toronto or Singapore or both (or did you do everything yourself) - and if so, what services did they provide?

For instance, we're trying to get him in on C1 / 10 day quarantine by the end of the year, but our vet is saying 2 months for the rabies serology test (which I believe we need prior to booking quarantine, which has to be 3 months in advance = not enough time), and I was wondering if a professional pet service in TO or Singapore could help. Any advice you can provide would be very much appreciated.

I'd pm you but I can't yet with my low post count - at the same time I'd rather not post a bunch adding nothing to the forum just to get my count to the right level. Thanks.
AFAIK, you don't need anything other than the pet's basic particulars to book the quarantine space. I did everything between Jan-April 2010, and the rabies serology wasn't taken until mid February. I had mine expedited, which cost an extra $200 per pet I believe, but you have time.

For shipping I used a company here which was a waste of time and money, but I also used Sea-Air Int'l via the KLM Cargo office at Pearson, which was terrific. I believe the lady who I worked with was named Dominque (?) I'll check on that if it's important to you.

Go to the AVA website and see about booking the quarantine space immediately, as they ask for 90 days notice, although I happen to believe they don't really need that and will accommodate requests after the 90 day limit. Because of a cock-up on the part of the PetMovers here in SG my import date had to be shifted two weeks before we left to three weeks later, so they effectively accepted my reservation 5 weeks out.

What part of TO are you in?