Singapore Expats

Quarantine for Pets in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 1:43 pm

RugbyLad wrote:Did anyone bring a pet from Ireland/UK/NZ/Oz by flight with one ore more stops?
There is requirement from AVA to have a non-stop flight:
that the dog or cat had not been landed at any intermediate port outside the country of export. In the case of an aircraft, if the dog or cat was landed, the dog or cat had been conveyed in a crate and remained within the precincts of the airport at which the aircraft landed (Prior permission from AVA is
required should there be a change of aircraft carrying the animal)
There absolutely no non-stop flights from Ireland to Singapore. Minimum is one stop (e.g. in London). did anyone had an experience how to hire this convoy? How much it would cost etc?

Cheers.
My pets flew with KLM Cargo from Toronto-Singapore via Amsterdam. I paid for them to be taken out of the crates and fed/watered/exercised on their layover to reduce their stress. I'm not sure how this fit into the above quoted rule, but it was no secret in their paperwork and it wasn't questioned. Perhaps you could contact KLM Cargo with this question as they have a much broader understanding of international live animal transport than I do. In my experience they were very professional and knowledgeable.

mpretty

Post by mpretty » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 2:19 pm

Thank you very much, Poodleck. I'm going to try to send you a private message :D

mpretty

Post by mpretty » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 2:25 pm

Has anyone flew from Madrid to Singapore with pets? I have been looking for information and it seems that there is not direct fly, we have to stop at least once, maybe in London. What happen with pets in the stops? Is there any specialized company in pets to take care of them? or they go with the lugagge?? :(

I'm sorry about the questions, it would be the first time for me in moving with pets, and I'm very nervous

mpretty

Post by mpretty » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 2:29 pm

Sorry, I forgot one important question.

Do you give pills to the pets? in order to be more quiet, not nervous (sorry about my english), because if not, they could be very worried about the changes....But I don't know if that would be bad for their health (because it´s a long fly...)

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 5:34 pm

mpretty:

Check with KLM Cargo about shipping your pets and layovers. They have a very good reputation for shipping live animals. My pets had a 14 hour layover in Amsterdam (between Toronto-Singapore) and were cared for by KLM's "Pet Hotel"

They did not need any sedatives or any other pills to calm their anxieties and they were fine. The cats did shed a lot of hair for the first week or two being in Singapore but that could have to do with either the weather or the stress of travel. If you think your cats will need to be sedated I recommend talking that over with your local veterinarian.

mpretty

Post by mpretty » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks a lot for the information.
I´ll talk with my veterinarian to ask about the pills. The small cat is very easily scared, and I don´t know if she would do better with some kind of soft sedation.

I´ll look for KLM's pet hotel, I don`t know if they work in Spain

Thanks again!

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 5:53 pm

mpretty wrote:Thanks a lot for the information.
I´ll talk with my veterinarian to ask about the pills. The small cat is very easily scared, and I don´t know if she would do better with some kind of soft sedation.

I´ll look for KLM's pet hotel, I don`t know if they work in Spain

Thanks again!
KLM is a very large Dutch airline. I am sure they have an office in Madrid. Try to find the local KLM Cargo website and go from there. The "pet hotel" (this is what they called it, I don't know if it is the official name) I believe is only in the Amsterdam airport. Depending on how/when your pets are shipped they may not need to stay there. Best to ask your local KLM Cargo agent...making sure it is the Cargo division not the regular passenger division.

rickjames

Post by rickjames » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 1:24 pm

supernena wrote:I used Mitchville and found them very professional and they put my mind at ease. Went to see my cat at quarantine yesterday and was also quite impressed with the facilities and the people working there.

I believe I read earlier that you flew from Beijing? Did Mitchville assist in the document preparation in China before you left? Or just provide the Singapore side (application/license/quarantine etc)? If only Singapore side, did you not use an agent in china?

Also, did you take your pet as excess baggage or in cargo?

(I'm coming from Shanghai- so just curious).

Also- I've read that now they need a blood sample 30 days before..is this a new requirement? Does anyone have any experience in regards to whom you send the results of this test to in Singapore? Or do you just enter with the proper test results/documentation?'

Thanks!

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 1:43 pm

rickjames wrote:
supernena wrote:I used Mitchville and found them very professional and they put my mind at ease. Went to see my cat at quarantine yesterday and was also quite impressed with the facilities and the people working there.

I believe I read earlier that you flew from Beijing? Did Mitchville assist in the document preparation in China before you left? Or just provide the Singapore side (application/license/quarantine etc)? If only Singapore side, did you not use an agent in china?

Also, did you take your pet as excess baggage or in cargo?

(I'm coming from Shanghai- so just curious).

I think the blood test you're referring to is the rabies titre, which you need to submit with your application for your import permit. You need a valid import permit in most cases to book transit for your pets, and you need to do that at least somewhat in advance, so

Also- I've read that now they need a blood sample 30 days before..is this a new requirement? Does anyone have any experience in regards to whom you send the results of this test to in Singapore? Or do you just enter with the proper test results/documentation?'

Thanks!

I think the blood test you're referring to is the rabies titre, which you need to submit with your application to the AVA for your import permit. You need a valid import permit in most cases to book transit for your pets, and you need to do that at least somewhat in advance, so it should be done probably before 30 days prior to the import date. Do you have a link or can you copy/paste what you read about that?

supernena

Post by supernena » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 2:21 pm

I did this from Shanghai actually. Mitchville helped me with the Singapore side and I did the Chinese side with:

Dr Jenny Yu
Jialiang K-9 Kennel, Shanghai Inc. (Established in 1980)
Shanghai United Animal Hospital
1858 San Lu Road, Pudong, Shanghai 201112, China
手机 Mobile: 86-1350 1764 319
电话 Tel: +86-21-64110049, 34110089
传真 Fax: +86-21-64110869
web: www.jialiang.com
email: [email protected]

She helped me get my cat to Shanghai and out. She is actually partners with Mitchville so they can work together to coordinate the whole process. It is not cheap but I found it to be worth it.

Good luck

rickjames

Post by rickjames » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 2:31 pm

The dog/cat must have a blood sample taken and tested for acceptable rabies antibody levels at
least one (1) month after the above vaccination and within six (6) months prior to export.

it's from the AVA import conditions for dogs from Zone D countries (China).
IV VETERINARY CERTIFICATION, section iii

Thanks for the info! I've read a lot about Dr. Yu in Shanghai before...just wondering, did you feel like you really needed her or could have done it on your own?

supernena

Post by supernena » Tue, 19 Oct 2010 2:45 pm

The blood test you def. need her (or someone) as they have to send the sample to Europe and it takes about one month. The process was:

1. get rabies vaccine
2. Wait 30 days
3. get blood test taken
4. wait about one month
5. get blood test results.

The rabies vaccine has to be done at the official clinic as they have to give you a special record booklet in order to export. Assuming everything goes smoothly, you then take the cat to the official vet (it is on xujiahui lu) for the health certificate. You have to take all of the cats documents there. Here they give you a receipt and 5 days later you go and pick up the certificate. This is the certificate that you need for the cat to board the plane, get out of China and get into Singapore. Keep in mind that you will have to have the cat sent as excess baggage as the asain airlines do not permit animals in the cabin. You could probably do this on your own (especially if you speak chinese), however having lived in China for some time, and given the fact that my cat is like my child, I thought it better to contract someone just in case things did not go smoothly. You have to keep in mind that this is what Jenny does and she has contacts and guanxi everywhere.......So if something were to go wrong she is highly likely to be able to fix it quicker and easier that I could.

Coronado51

Post by Coronado51 » Fri, 05 Nov 2010 12:12 am

poodlek wrote:
RugbyLad wrote:Did anyone bring a pet from Ireland/UK/NZ/Oz by flight with one ore more stops?
There is requirement from AVA to have a non-stop flight:
that the dog or cat had not been landed at any intermediate port outside the country of export. In the case of an aircraft, if the dog or cat was landed, the dog or cat had been conveyed in a crate and remained within the precincts of the airport at which the aircraft landed (Prior permission from AVA is
required should there be a change of aircraft carrying the animal)
There absolutely no non-stop flights from Ireland to Singapore. Minimum is one stop (e.g. in London). did anyone had an experience how to hire this convoy? How much it would cost etc?

Cheers.
My pets flew with KLM Cargo from Toronto-Singapore via Amsterdam. I paid for them to be taken out of the crates and fed/watered/exercised on their layover to reduce their stress. I'm not sure how this fit into the above quoted rule, but it was no secret in their paperwork and it wasn't questioned. Perhaps you could contact KLM Cargo with this question as they have a much broader understanding of international live animal transport than I do. In my experience they were very professional and knowledgeable.
Hi poodlek,

I will also be moving from TO to Singapore in the next few months. Would you be so kind to provide more information around the following?
-Flight costs
-Did you use a professional pet relocation company from Toronto, if so who?
-Did you fly with your pets on KLM too?

Thank you.

ThistlePebbles

Shipping Regulation

Post by ThistlePebbles » Sun, 07 Nov 2010 6:35 am

Hi all,

I am a newbie as well and been search on this forum to help "ease" my mind about bringing my two dogs to Singapore from Toronto.

I am still in the process of securing a flight for them and I am hoping if someone can confirm if the dogs have to be traveling in separate crates or can two small dogs be shipped in the same crate. I am getting conflicting information online and there are two different IATA sources with one quoting that only puppies can be shipped in the same crate while the other stating that two dogs from the same household under 20lbs can travel in the same crate.

Does anyone has experience with shipping two dogs in one crate to Singapore?

Thank you.

Ratpick_2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Ratpick_2000 » Tue, 14 Dec 2010 3:29 pm

Hi all,

I am a newbie as well and been search on this forum to help "ease" my mind about bringing my two dogs to Singapore from Toronto.

I am still in the process of securing a flight for them and I am hoping if someone can confirm if the dogs have to be traveling in separate crates or can two small dogs be shipped in the same crate. I am getting conflicting information online and there are two different IATA sources with one quoting that only puppies can be shipped in the same crate while the other stating that two dogs from the same household under 20lbs can travel in the same crate.

Does anyone has experience with shipping two dogs in one crate to Singapore?

Thank you.
Hello Thistle. I have two Spaniels who recently arrived with me from Dubai - via the UK for a couple of months. I looked into the issue of travelling together in the same crate at length, and whilst it is technically feasible, I was strongly advised not to even consider the option. Primarily because despite how friendly and loving the dogs are with each other, and how much you think they would prefer the experience to be shared, dogs can and will have the tendency to scrap with each other. On a long, stressful flight there is no one to look after them - dogs can become irritable quickly and there is nothing to stop them fighting.

So from my own experience I would urge you not to let them travel in the same cage/ crate. It's an extra $800 and worth the outlay to ensure peace of mind.

Hope this helps