Singapore Expats

Quarantine for Pets in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Zimm erman

Bringing my dog

Post by Zimm erman » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 8:41 pm

Afternoon/evening all.... first time poster - so go easy on me;
I have been reading through the forums and getting a bit confused.

If I come from the UK, does that mean my dog doesnt have to go into quarantine - is this correct?

From what I have seen/read so far, if I come from the UK my dog CANNOT travel in the cabin.

I believe that when flying from France you CAN take your dog in the cabin with you.

When changing flights en-route to Singapore, the local law applies.
So I am guessing if I was flying via another country that didnt allow dogs in the cabin i.e. Dubai - then I couldnt do it?

I dont think I would like my dog to travel in the hold (is it not too cold and noisey)? Let alone being left alone for 18hrs or so (how do they go to the bathroom)? How big are their cages?

So I am looking at the other options.
I would consider driving/train to France and then flying from france (with him in the cabin with us).

What I need to know is can I actually get from France to Singapore?
Do Singapore authorities allow pets to arrive in the cabin?

Is it possible to sail to Singapore?
Would it then be possible for the dog to stay with us for the journey?

All help/advice is welcomed.

Thanks

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:00 pm

Zimm_erman

Don't think you're gonna have much choice but to put your dog in cargo...

Don't think I ever heard of a long haul flight accepting dog in the cabin ( in France from what I know it's mostly short or medium haul flights and with destinations that have easy going through customs procedure for animals)

Coming from UK, if you respect the guidelines, you can actually manage to avoid quarantine for your animal.

France is not on the list... if you take the plane in France, Singapore is going to consider your dog as coming from France and therefore 30 days quarantine...

You might get an authorization to stop over in France without falling in the categories of quarantine, but only if the company can certify that your dog was the only one on board etc. the guidelines to follow in order to avoid quarantine keep getting longer and more complicated.

Basically make sure with the vet your dog can get through the stress of the flight...

and then do it the proper way, you have the chance to do it coming from UK... it's not a given for everyone who has a pet...

this way, you arrive in Singapore, clear the customs and walk out of the airport with your dog...

I have no doubt in my mind that your dog will get over a 18 hours transport much more easily than a 30 days quarantine on top of it.

Zimm erman

Post by Zimm erman » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:39 pm

:(

My mrs wont be keen on that (and im not entirely if I am honest).
How can they manage 18hrs caged?

My dog is a nervous wreck at the best of times.

I know that you can fly from say Paris to America (with Delta) with them in the cabin. Just need to find a way of getting him to Singapore.

Is 30 days in quarantine so bad?
Granted the solitude would be bad (and from a personal point of view it would be bad).... but it seems the conditions are good, you can also exercise them and visit everyday.

Are they kept in a room or a cage (of what proportions)?

Its quite possibly a deal breaker for my Mrs if I am honest.

If they are in the hold - are you able to walk them or do a toilet break when you change planes? i.e. Singapore airlines swap in Dubai?

supernena

Post by supernena » Mon, 03 May 2010 11:25 am

I will be moving to Singapore in August with my cat. Can anyone recommend a relocation service or a pet shipping service to handle the details? Thank you

Joelhoon

Re: dog now in quarantine station

Post by Joelhoon » Tue, 11 May 2010 8:46 pm

chinagirlkim wrote::) My dog Baxter is now in his second week of quarantine with the small animal quarantine center here in Singapore. It is a very clean facility and the staff is very helpful. We were moving from China and once I hired a pet mover in Beijing to help with the transport and quarantine reservation the process started to move in the right direction. I go visit him every other day and book a 15 minute time in the dog run. The station is about a 25 minute taxi ride from Orchard area. They also have basic grooming facilites that you can book a 30 minute time slot.

Our family will be happy when the 30 day time period is up but am happy with the facility and staff.
Hi, i am currently at Beijing and planning to sent my Chiwawa back to Singapore this coming Oct.
Your case seems went very well, could you share your pet mover agent?

Jonomo

Post by Jonomo » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:03 am

Yes ... someone please recommend a reputable pet relocation agent. I tried Pet Movers and they are terrible. I'm hoping there's someone else available.
J

supernena

Post by supernena » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:18 am

I used Mitchville and found them very professional and they put my mind at ease. Went to see my cat at quarantine yesterday and was also quite impressed with the facilities and the people working there.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 3:33 pm

Zimm erman wrote::(

My mrs wont be keen on that (and im not entirely if I am honest).
How can they manage 18hrs caged?

My dog is a nervous wreck at the best of times.

I know that you can fly from say Paris to America (with Delta) with them in the cabin. Just need to find a way of getting him to Singapore.

Is 30 days in quarantine so bad?
Granted the solitude would be bad (and from a personal point of view it would be bad).... but it seems the conditions are good, you can also exercise them and visit everyday.

Are they kept in a room or a cage (of what proportions)?

Its quite possibly a deal breaker for my Mrs if I am honest.

If they are in the hold - are you able to walk them or do a toilet break when you change planes? i.e. Singapore airlines swap in Dubai?
My four pets came from Canada in cargo and they were fine. They did have a long layover in Amsterdam where they were allowed out of their crates to relax, eat, exercise and pee, but this was a service provided by the airline. I recommend using KLM to ship your dog if you can't get him on as carry on. It is doubtful you'll be able to get your dog out of the cage in the airport yourself, but you'd have to verify that with the airline.

As for the SAQS, it is a beautiful facility, each pet has its own air conditioned room, about 6'x10' with a 6'x6' outdoor patio which you can sit on when you visit them. My two dogs stayed with each other in the same room and the two cats stayed with each other too. The cat rooms are significantly smaller, maybe 4'x7' but they have a nice ledge where they can sit and look out the window. The cats were visited and brushed every day and they were happy as clams. The SAQS staff all knew my dogs by name and the dogs were clearly happy with them, they always greeted them when I took them out for exercise on my visits.

Also, depending on which country you're coming from, you may be eligible for a 10 day quarantine instead of 30 days. We opted for that to save money (I think the facility costs S$36/pet/day so it really adds up when you have four!) but barring the cost I wouldn't feel bad about keeping them in for 30 days. The worst part is just missing them at home.

fatuitas

Relocating, cat importation for cat who has vaccine reaction

Post by fatuitas » Sat, 28 Aug 2010 12:47 am

I"ve posted this on another thread as well as am a bit desperate about the latest development! One of my cats to be imported to S. from Canada had an allergic reaction after his rabies shot a couple of weeks ago. The vet told me he should not have another as it may be lethal. Does anyone know to whom I could appeal the regulation requiring a rabies shot on arrival to the quarantine station? He will have to be in for 30 days since cannot have another shot that wd reduce the say to 10 days, and all other importation requirements would be met (microchipping, etc.). I thinking I will see if extra titering (blood sampling for anitbodies) might be persuasive in getting this requirment (for the rabies shot on arrival) lifted... But I need to find out how to go about getting some kind of exemption, yikes! (Note: I've checked out UK rules but that's really long quarantine, same with Oz)

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Relocating, cat importation for cat who has vaccine reac

Post by poodlek » Sat, 28 Aug 2010 1:13 am

fatuitas wrote:I"ve posted this on another thread as well as am a bit desperate about the latest development! One of my cats to be imported to S. from Canada had an allergic reaction after his rabies shot a couple of weeks ago. The vet told me he should not have another as it may be lethal. Does anyone know to whom I could appeal the regulation requiring a rabies shot on arrival to the quarantine station? He will have to be in for 30 days since cannot have another shot that wd reduce the say to 10 days, and all other importation requirements would be met (microchipping, etc.). I thinking I will see if extra titering (blood sampling for anitbodies) might be persuasive in getting this requirment (for the rabies shot on arrival) lifted... But I need to find out how to go about getting some kind of exemption, yikes! (Note: I've checked out UK rules but that's really long quarantine, same with Oz)
Did the kitty have a benadryl shot prior to the rabies injection? Was it a combo shot (like they do for yearly boosters) or just rabies alone? My cat had a near lethal reaction to a rabies shot a couple years ago, but since then we have taken these precautions and he was ok to get the necessary shots to come here. He did have about 12 hours of vomiting after the last one, but nothing like the anaphlyaxis he had that one time. Also, our animals did not have to have a shot upon arrival. They had their yearly booster, followed by the titer test 30 days later, and another booster after the acceptable titer results came back but no less than 30 days before their import, which qualified them for the 10 day quarantine. There were no shots or anything administered upon arrival, just a check up by a vet.

fatuitas

Post by fatuitas » Sat, 28 Aug 2010 2:36 am

thanks! It looked from reading the AVM info that they wd get another shot on arrival even if they had received a 2nd shot prior to arrival. I wd much rather he got the 2nd shot with his 'home' vet - and avoid 20 days of quarantine, as he cd be supervised while it was happening. Home vet is rather alarmist too... Thanks for the encouragement!

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sat, 28 Aug 2010 12:12 pm

fatuitas wrote:thanks! It looked from reading the AVM info that they wd get another shot on arrival even if they had received a 2nd shot prior to arrival. I wd much rather he got the 2nd shot with his 'home' vet - and avoid 20 days of quarantine, as he cd be supervised while it was happening. Home vet is rather alarmist too... Thanks for the encouragement!
Regarding the C1 (Ten day quarantine option for countries like Canada) the rabies requirements are as follows:

Category C1
(1) The dog/cat must have valid vaccination against rabies using an AVA-approved inactivated vaccine at least four (4) months prior to export. This refers to a valid primary vaccination and/or up to date booster(s) according to the vaccine manufacturers’ recommendations. The
dog/cat must have a blood sample taken and tested for acceptable rabies antibody levels at least one (1) month after the above vaccination and within six (6) months prior to export.
(2) Following the date of sampling for serology, the dog/cat must be vaccinated again. This additional vaccination must not be less than one (1) month prior to export.

This means if you've kept up with your regular yearly boosters as long as you've had the cat (or for at least the last two years) that qualifies for the "primary vaccination" which means you qualify for "at least 4 months prior to export." Since you've just had a booster two weeks ago, you'll have to wait another two weeks to get the rabies titer (serology sampling). After the blood test is taken, you can get the second booster shot, and assuming the titer test comes back with at least a minimum level (it will, certainly) you can apply for import no less than 30 days after the second rabies shot.

I had the same impression and worries as you when I was going through this, but I think that impression came from outdated or misdirected info I got from PetMovers here in Singapore. There were several instances of that from them unfortunately. Just to be on the safe side, when I had prepared all the paperwork for each of my animals, each pet with its own manilla folder, I wrote on the front of the cat in question's folder in red sharpie the precautions needed to be taken (the correct dosage of benadryl and 12 hours of supervision) if they did choose to give an additional shot upon arrival (which they didn't anyway). I included a copy of the receipt from the emergency clinic showing the procedures he needed to treat his anaphlyaxis, and the brand of combo shot that did it to him. [/i]

RugbyLad

Post by RugbyLad » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 6:36 am

Did anyone bring a pet from Ireland/UK/NZ/Oz by flight with one ore more stops?
There is requirement from AVA to have a non-stop flight:
that the dog or cat had not been landed at any intermediate port outside the country of export. In the case of an aircraft, if the dog or cat was landed, the dog or cat had been conveyed in a crate and remained within the precincts of the airport at which the aircraft landed (Prior permission from AVA is
required should there be a change of aircraft carrying the animal)
There absolutely no non-stop flights from Ireland to Singapore. Minimum is one stop (e.g. in London). did anyone had an experience how to hire this convoy? How much it would cost etc?

Cheers.

mpretty

CATS FROM SPAIN

Post by mpretty » Fri, 17 Sep 2010 6:10 pm

Hello, I´m new in this forum. I´m María, and I´m from Madrid, Spain.

I will probably have to move to Singapore in few months (because of work), and I have two cats. They have passport and vaccines (includin rabia).

I have heard that they had to be in quarantine, at leas 10 days.

I´d like to see the cages in wich they have to live all these days. I´m not happy for that, I love them very much and I thing it will be very dificult for they to be in a cage........
do you have photografs of the cages??? I have visited the web site of the place but no photographs for cats found.

Thanks and please, excuse my english. :oops:

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Re: CATS FROM SPAIN

Post by poodlek » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 1:39 pm

mpretty wrote:Hello, I´m new in this forum. I´m María, and I´m from Madrid, Spain.

I will probably have to move to Singapore in few months (because of work), and I have two cats. They have passport and vaccines (includin rabia).

I have heard that they had to be in quarantine, at leas 10 days.

I´d like to see the cages in wich they have to live all these days. I´m not happy for that, I love them very much and I thing it will be very dificult for they to be in a cage........
do you have photografs of the cages??? I have visited the web site of the place but no photographs for cats found.

Thanks and please, excuse my english. :oops:
The cats are not kept in cages at the quarantine. They are kept in air conditioned rooms with nice windowsills for them to sit and look out at the world. It is very clean and humane. I would not worry about the quarantine at all. You can request to have them roomed together, also. My two cats sat and cuddled all day long while they were in quarantine.
It is strictly forbidden to take photos inside the quarantine but I sneaked a couple. I do not want to post them here. If you send me your email (you may need to post a few more messages on the board before you can send me a private message) I can email them to you.