Singapore Expats

Quarantine for Pets in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quarantine for Pets in Singapore

Post by joop » Tue, 10 Oct 2006 2:03 pm

Import Prerequisites

Veterinary Health Certificate

Original copy (in English) issued by a registered veterinarian of the country of export, certifying that "the pet is healthy and free from any contagious or infectious diseases at the time of inspection".

The date of inspection must not be more than seven days from the date of entry into Singapore.

Vaccination Card (for dogs only)

All dogs entering Singapore must be vaccinated against canine distemper, canine hepatitis and canine parvovirus infection not more than between two weeks and one year prior to entry

CITES Permit for Export from Country of Origin, and CITES Permit for Import from Singapore

A CITES (Convention On International Trade In Endangered Species Of Wild Fauna And Flora) Permit certifies that the animal is not from an endangered or protected species. Separate applications must be made to the country of export and to Singapore.
To apply for a CITES Permit for Import from Singapore, the application form ("Application form for CITES permit: Live Animals and Birds") may be downloaded from the AVA website.
The permit costs a minimum of S$60 per consignment (or higher at a rate of S$12 per species). The original certificate must be surrendered at the port of import.
Quarantine Space

If you live in a country other than Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Ireland, you must have official notification of a quarantine space for your pet before your import permit application can be processed.
To apply for quarantine space, approach the Jurong Animal Quarantine Station (JAQS) at the address below:

53, Jalan Buroh
Singapore 619495
Tel: (65) 6268-0658.
Fax: (65) 6266-2985
Implanting the ISO Microchip (dogs only)

All imported dogs must be identified with an ISO-compatible microchip from 1 May 2001. Dogs with unreadable or no microchip will have a microchip inserted and the owner will have to bear the cost.
The microchip is about the size of a grain of rice, and is surgically implanted beneath the skin of the dog's neck. It helps to track down lost animals, and trace and control the spread of disease.
Getting the Import License

Finally, an import license may be obtained from the Agri-food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) at least two weeks before the date of import.

The form ("Application for Permit to Import Animals/Birds as Personal Pets") can be downloaded from the AVA website, and sent by post or fax to:

The Director-General
Agri-food and Veterinary Authority
Regulatory Services Branch
5 Maxwell Road #02-00
Tower Block MND Complex
Singapore 069110
Tel: (65) 62270670
Fax: (65) 62276305

A fee of S$50, payable by local cheque or draft (draft to be drawn from any licensed bank in Singapore) will be charged.
Getting the pet inspected on arrival

The animal must be inspected by an AVA officer at the port of entry. The relocation agent must notify the AVA officer at the designated inspection station at least one working day prior to arrival of the consignment.
Dogs and cats will then be brought to the quarantine station, irrespective of whether they have been vaccinated or not before import. They will be vaccinated against rabies and quarantined for a period of not less than 30 days. The rabies vaccination fee is S$65.00 per vaccination.
Surviving the 30-day quarantine

The pet will be kept for a minimum of 30 days after the rabies vaccination for observation. The standard quarantine fee is S$13.50 per day.

It is heartbreaking for some owners, being away from their pets for a month. Visiting the pets regularly while in quarantine might help. There is always the chance of meeting other pet owners and forming lasting friendships!
Enquiries

The Regulatory Services Branch may be contacted regarding the application of permits, at Tel: (65) 6227 0670 or Fax: (65) 6227 6305.
Changi Animal and Plant Quarantine (CAPQ) may be contacted for inspection procedures and the clearance of consignments at Changi Airport, at Tel: (65) 6545 7522 Fax: (65) 65453023.
More information can also be found at the Agri-food and Veterinary Authority.
Dog Licenses

Licensed and Legal

Dogs above the age of three months, when imported into Singapore, must have a dog licence from
Centre for Animal Welfare and Control
75 Pasir Panjang Road
Singapore 118507
Tel: (65) 64733687
Fax: (65) 64733687
There is a one-time registration fee of S$6.50 for all new applicants.
The annual license fees are as follows:
Female Dog *Sterilised S$14
Female Dog Unsterilised S$70
Male Dog *Sterilised & unsterilised S$14

* the original sterilisation certificate must be produced

Dog licenses can be renewed through the mail, at post offices, or online with the payment of the appropriate fee.

Dog owners are urged to keep their pets from barking excessively, defecating in public places, harassing passers-by, chasing vehicles, or biting.

The dog license may be revoked or the license renewal disallowed, in such circumstances.

Source: http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/movi ... ites.shtml
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

chinagirlkim

Post by chinagirlkim » Thu, 12 Oct 2006 9:26 am

Thank you for this information it is very helpful.

chinagirlkim

Post by chinagirlkim » Thu, 12 Oct 2006 9:28 am

I live in Beijing and will be importing my pet to Singapore this December. I was told that the micro chip is mandatory. Is it possible to buy the microchip from the agency in Singapore and have my Vet here insert it so that is take care of prior to arrival?

MoTokyo

Post by MoTokyo » Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:09 pm

My 2 cats were just microchipped last weekend. The vet inserted an AEG Trovan Microchip (http://www.trovan.com). She recommended this brand as it contained the largest selection of available ID tags to ensure few animals receive the same pin number. It also meets Singapore's ISO standard requirements.

If you visit the contact page on http://www.trovan.com/ , you'll find a phone number for Trovan in Souther Korea and Japan. Call that number and ask if any veterinarians in Beijing are supplied with Trovan Chips. Or try searching for Trovan supplied vets on www.google.cn/

They can also microchip your pet upon arrival in Singapore but I wouldn't recommend it as they insert an enormous needle to place the chip and both my cats were frantic and aggressive after receiving the shot. The last thing you want to do is have your pet attack or bite one of the quarantine officers.

And don't forget to vaccinate your animals as soon as possible (at least 2 weeks before arrival) with the necessary requirements listed on the ava.gov.sg website.

[quote="chinagirlkim"]I live in Beijing and will be importing my pet to Singapore this December. I was told that the micro chip is mandatory. Is it possible to buy the microchip from the agency in Singapore and have my Vet here insert it so that is take care of prior to arrival?[/quote]

chinagirlkim

Post by chinagirlkim » Thu, 19 Oct 2006 5:32 pm

Dear MoTokyo,
Thanks for the information. I will look for the microchip your referred too. Thanks for your time.

spaul
Regular
Regular

Post by spaul » Sun, 05 Nov 2006 11:50 pm

It seems like there is a long waiting list now as well for quarantine. You can't even ship your pets unless you have booked space so be prepared to make arrangements to have someone take care of them until they can be shipped.

chinagirlkim

dog now in quarantine station

Post by chinagirlkim » Tue, 09 Jan 2007 9:04 pm

:) My dog Baxter is now in his second week of quarantine with the small animal quarantine center here in Singapore. It is a very clean facility and the staff is very helpful. We were moving from China and once I hired a pet mover in Beijing to help with the transport and quarantine reservation the process started to move in the right direction. I go visit him every other day and book a 15 minute time in the dog run. The station is about a 25 minute taxi ride from Orchard area. They also have basic grooming facilites that you can book a 30 minute time slot.

Our family will be happy when the 30 day time period is up but am happy with the facility and staff.

ThePetPage

Post by ThePetPage » Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:11 am

The new Quarantine Station is now located at Sembawang. It is called SAQS (Sembawang Animal Quarantine Station)

psyflyer

Post by psyflyer » Fri, 13 Apr 2007 5:05 pm

Thanks for this thread, very useful.

Can the quarantine occur at some private location (i.e. my house) or anyway other than under their supervision?

E-T

Post by E-T » Thu, 24 May 2007 9:31 pm

No, quarantine has to go through AVA assigned locations strictly.

For those who are bringing their pets into Singapore, please visit your pet very often at the quarantine. There are certain issues that I would not want to talk about openly, but I had first hand bad experience when I imported my Husky puppy many years ago.

psyflyer

Post by psyflyer » Thu, 24 May 2007 10:38 pm

E-T wrote:No, quarantine has to go through AVA assigned locations strictly.

For those who are bringing their pets into Singapore, please visit your pet very often at the quarantine. There are certain issues that I would not want to talk about openly, but I had first hand bad experience when I imported my Husky puppy many years ago.

could you elaborate?

On the contrary for around 15,000 SGD I found that the quarantine can happen at your home in certain countries and have the people come and visit rather than us going to visit them... I will do some from my home in Britain ahead of landing in Sing.

Also regarding big fury breeds I reckon the moderator is using harsh remarks against the above poster. I can tell you that my dogs (two teacup pomeranian) willl be using a facility to run around indoor which is as similar to an indoor outdoor area as to keep them cool. OTH, I do reckon that if not using approporaite measures and/or having appropriate funds to alleviate any such climate problems could be an issue.

E-T

Post by E-T » Fri, 25 May 2007 1:16 pm

psyflyer wrote:On the contrary for around 15,000 SGD I found that the quarantine can happen at your home in certain countries and have the people come and visit rather than us going to visit them... I will do some from my home in Britain ahead of landing in Sing.
Welcome to Singapore, you are in Singapore.

psyflyer

Question for PETS from USA -> SING

Post by psyflyer » Mon, 18 Jun 2007 7:39 am

Has anyone doen the following in order to bring their pets into Sing from the US?:

Go through the UK and do the quarantine in the US. Onc ein the UK you stay a weekend there and then board a flight into SIN, therefore no quarantine.

Anyone?

abhandari

Post by abhandari » Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:21 am

I was hoping to do the same thing. Go via the UK on the PETS travel scheme, stay the weekend or however long I need to and then travel to Singapore and avoid quarantine.

Is this doable? I know it'll be expensive but totally worth it for my dogs and my peace of mind.

ntonya

Question for PETS from USA -> SING

Post by ntonya » Sun, 08 Jul 2007 11:35 am

Following up on the previous 2 posters, has anyone been able to avoid quarantine for their dog by going through the UK? I am currently considering a job in Singapore but my wife is worried about having our toy pomeranian quarantined for a month. If going through the UK is an option we will definitely follow this route. Can someone please tell me if this is a viable option? Thanks in advance!