Singapore Expats Forum

BOYCOTT of Indonesian products

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

inkjetprinter

BOYCOTT of Indonesian products

Postby inkjetprinter » Sun, 08 Oct 2006 4:22 pm

The Indonesian farmers are at it again using the "slash and burn" methods to clear the land to plant crops.
This method not only caused terrible pollution to the environment and affect the neighbouring countries, many endangered plants and animals are also being threathen.
The Indo government are simply not doing anything to help, as this is the quickest and cheapest method for the farmers. But at whose expense???
It's hurting the eco system.
Killing the animals and plants.
Damanging the Ozone Layer.
Giving the poor children (both Indo and other countries) respitarory problems.
Hurting our tourism economy.
Etc. add to the list yourself.

[b]What can you as a consumer do??[/b]

[b]I advocate the BOYCOTT of Indonesian products as a form of protest against the Indonesian farmers
[/b]

Don't buy Indonesia agricultural products!

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Postby DimWit Kid » Sun, 08 Oct 2006 4:40 pm

The burning is definitely not good - and it's also bothering the neighboring countries as well.

I posted a while ago on a thread about selling the rights to clean up 4 million ha or so of tropical forest in Kalimantan to China that the rest of the world needs to put their money where their mouth is - as that is a commodity that Indonesians can sell. I'm not having that kind of opinion about these burning of forest because I think it should be preventable and probably the country can make more money if managed better.

But it's just simply silly if you think by boycotting whatever Indonesian made will help. That's a typical too simplistic way of you to think. One thing is the interdependence of economies in SEA especially of the big 6 - I don't think there will ever be any boycott whatsoever by a government or majority of population of any of these countries against the other. Second thing is the commitment within ASEAN.

In any case, I believe boycotting general agricultural produces will not be effective - it just adds misery to the poor farmers and has no effect on the elites who are in the back of these. Maybe boycotting the palm oil export can exert pressure, but will the world live without Indonesian exports? The palm oil plantation clearance has caused many of these forest burning, and these people (read the rich owners of plantations) need to be made responsible.

If it's the lowly farmers - well your solution will just add fuel to the fire.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Sun, 08 Oct 2006 7:59 pm

How do I go about telling whether it came from Indonesia or several other neighbouring countries? Does the man/lady at the wet market actually know where it has come from? Doesn't sound like a very good solution to the problem. . .

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sun, 08 Oct 2006 8:04 pm

Matney wrote:How do I go about telling whether it came from Indonesia or several other neighbouring countries? Does the man/lady at the wet market actually know where it has come from? Doesn't sound like a very good solution to the problem. . .

Quite simple;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4801749.stm

According to one news item, a number of fires are illegal but the Indonesian government is powerless to stop the culprits.

See also;http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=2778

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Sun, 08 Oct 2006 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Oct 2006 8:08 pm

Matney wrote:How do I go about telling whether it came from Indonesia or several other neighbouring countries? Does the man/lady at the wet market actually know where it has come from? Doesn't sound like a very good solution to the problem. . .

I think it's pretty well known where it's coming from. All one has to do is watch the weather reports complete with satellite photos showing the wind direction, hot spots, etc., etc.,.....

As far as the products are concerned, sure they know where they are coming from. If it's by truck it's from malaysia and can be bought as certain wholesalers, if it's by sea it's probably from Indonesia. The wholesellers know exactly were it comes from down to the area in Indonesia or Malaysia.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Mon, 09 Oct 2006 6:17 pm

This sounds like an NGO's mentality.

Boycotting Indonesian products will help how exactly?

The people bruning are poor and as such you think you can make them any poorer so that they stop slash and burn? In fact your suggestion may just add to the buringin if in effect over a long period.

Nice try anyway - I don't like the smog either but I don't think your plan will work.
Be Like Water

gordie

boycotting indo products

Postby gordie » Thu, 12 Oct 2006 7:58 pm

I cant see a boycott of Indo products/and services taking place in Singapore. The 1000's of maids would also have to go home and you guys would have to do your slave jobs yourselves.