Singapore Expats Forum

Will air purifiers keep pollution out of apartment?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

LoveBug

Will air purifiers keep pollution out of apartment?

Postby LoveBug » Sat, 07 Oct 2006 9:02 am

Hey there,

In just over a week my husband and I will be welcoming our first baby into our lives and home. We are obviously very excited.

My concern is the pollution levels we are currently experiencing in Singapore. The smoke is finding its way into our apartment in small doses regardless of the precautions we are taking.

Whilst this is ok for my husband and myself I am concerned this may be an issue for our newborn baby.

Does anyone have an answer as to how to improve this situation? Are air purifiers effective? If so, where would I be likely to be able to purchase one?

Thank you in advance for your time :D

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Sun, 08 Oct 2006 5:15 am

the best air purifiers would contain H.E.P.A filters, which is what the hospital's use in their sterile rooms when preparing IV bags.

Though, I doubt these are commonly available in your local Harvey Norman. I've seen small airpurifier units that the in-laws use, which has a constant source of running liquid going through it, and the water does seem to get dirty over time, but as to it's effectiveness I don't believe there is anyone independent monitoring these devices in Singapore for quality.

If by chance you are from Australia, and are a subscriber of Choice Magazine, perhaps do a search on their website and see if they've done any comparisons, though smog isn't usually such an issue down under as what it seems to be here.

As an aside, the airconditioner seems to do a semi-decent job at removing smoke/smog from the air.. probably does it through condensation of moisture, along with the dirt particles that are floating with it. Perhaps for the baby's sake, keep the baby in a room with aircon and keep it on 26.

LoveBug

Postby LoveBug » Sun, 08 Oct 2006 9:09 am

Thanks 'Splatted' for your reply.

I spent quite a bit of time researching yesterday but I hadnt thought of looking up Choice Magazine...an old favourite. That's a great idea. I will get onto right away.

Cheers :D