Singapore Expats Forum

Hardware store?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Thu, 17 Mar 2011 8:58 am

The same in the neighbouring to Kranji, Sungei Kadut.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 17 Mar 2011 9:01 am

Wow, I did not know that. I thought the only things there are: the Zoo, a bus stop to Malaysia and the portal to Mordor.

BA-DUMP-BUMP...

I kid, I keeed......

magilie

plexiglas plate for fridge to cut

Postby magilie » Sun, 04 Sep 2011 11:26 am

Dear all,

One plexiglas plate is missing in our fridge and we would like to find one. We are looking for a hardware shop to find a plexiglas plate and have it cut at the proper dimension. Do you know where we can go in Singapore ?

Thank you very much for your help.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sun, 04 Sep 2011 9:58 pm

Cutting - not sure, but a very decent choice of plexi or other acrylic plates is carried out by Art Friend.

pearl2311

Postby pearl2311 » Wed, 19 Oct 2011 3:48 am

anyone know where i can get the following items?

watco danish oil in natural
minwax wipe on satin polyurethane
weldwood or barge or master contact cement glue and rubber cement glue

chris99

Postby chris99 » Thu, 17 Nov 2011 8:57 am

@magilie

there is a very good place for everything plexi: www.dama.com.sg

I use them all the time... they can cut whatever you want and they have dedicated "consultants" who can help you in your design and choice. Quite cheap as well...

Chris

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Nov 2011 9:47 am

Nice link, Chris. Thanks! :)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Hardware store?

Postby the lynx » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:03 am

jpatokal wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:JP, This should help (it's out in Ubi area.
http://www.homely.com.sg/

Thanks! Although the location seems to be designed to be as inconvenient as possible if you don't have a car. Is the Changi Rd (Kembangan) outlet any good?

And does anybody know of even a small, bite-size hardware store around Orchard/Newton/Novena/Toa Payoh? (But a step above from the dusty light bulbs and pink Chinese plastic crap corner shops.)

Hey jpatokal, there is one in Novena! Homefix is in United Square, basement level, entrance located inside Cold Storage (I know, why so hidden?!)

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:18 am

the lynx wrote:
jpatokal wrote:

Thanks! Although the location seems to be designed to be as inconvenient as possible if you don't have a car. Is the Changi Rd (Kembangan) outlet any good?

And does anybody know of even a small, bite-size hardware store around Orchard/Newton/Novena/Toa Payoh? (But a step above from the dusty light bulbs and pink Chinese plastic crap corner shops.)

Hey jpatokal, there is one in Novena! Homefix is in United Square, basement level, entrance located inside Cold Storage (I know, why so hidden?!)

JP's moved on to Australia already! :P

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Fri, 18 Nov 2011 8:12 am

nakatago wrote:
the lynx wrote:
jpatokal wrote:

JP's moved on to Australia already! :P

goodness! didn't pay attention to the timestamp :P

oh well pre-Friday mode :cool:

yosithezet

Postby yosithezet » Wed, 23 May 2012 4:38 pm

That's ok you helped me. I live in Novena and was in the hardware store next to Cold Storage in Novena Square. No hammers. No level. Hopefully better luck at United Square! Thanks!

(Now to find a plumber!)

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Travailes » Thu, 24 May 2012 7:10 pm

Whilst on the subject of hardware !- does anyone know what they 'paint' on those slate tiles on driveways / balconies etc which restores their faded look ? Looks like some kind of sealant ?
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Sat, 26 May 2012 1:23 am

yosithezet wrote:That's ok you helped me. I live in Novena and was in the hardware store next to Cold Storage in Novena Square. No hammers. No level. Hopefully better luck at United Square! Thanks!

(Now to find a plumber!)

Yeah, found the same.. no hammers.

But, if you go to one of those small asian stores that sells pots, pans, soap, and just about everything, you should find a hammer as well. There are several of these stores when you walk around AMK shopping area.

And they stock a lot of other bits and pieces that you would find in home fix, but a bit cheaper.

I did see a basic/small level at the Japanese $2 shop at Ion.

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Postby ChrisCH » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 3:30 pm

I am planning to paint a flat this weekend and well, as others have posted - I know where home fix and self fix outlets are... but I just don't believe that the average Singaporean pays those prices.

Anyone a good tip for a paint and paint tools shop?

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby katbh » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 3:38 pm

Also little india has an area of timber merchants and they will cut to size. There was one that was cutting up a set when I was there last.