Singapore Expats Forum

Are rentals acutally going up?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

fast_dolphin

Are rentals acutally going up?

Postby fast_dolphin » Tue, 03 Oct 2006 12:58 pm

OK;

My lease is up and i'm looking around for a 1 or two 2 bedroom condo on the east coast.

Unit's I reviewed two years ago are now being advertised up to twice thier original price, but they are remaining vactant for weeks on end... when i push the price i have found a i can usually get it back to within 50-100 of what they were going for two years ago... BUT they are not style of condo i like (yeah, fussy, i know).

So question is; are rents really going up, or is it all just a ploy? what is the general concensus?

Reading on the web tells me mixed messages, and of course the agent for my current apartment is insisting the 'market has picked up dramatically'

So has it, or is it that land lords are just hurting bad and are now really pushing hard? I see so many condo developments selling at relatively slow paces, and by all accounts it's not owners occupiers that are buying... so why is thier such an attempt to raise the rental when supply is being increased?

Please share your thoughts or experiences.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 03 Oct 2006 8:52 pm

I'm smack in the middle of this right now and can attest

they are up now, but I believe it's a partially artificially-inflated market and there is a feeding frenzy, thought there is in fact a shortage of 2brs, but this may change in 5-6 month's time

on one hand the owners have had a slumped market to recover from, on the other, it's downright evil

if you can wait, wait, or, try a en bloc unit for a year until this blows over (what I'm considering) - there are a lolt of places that are going to be ready and there may even be a glut of units at that point, I refuse to belive there is that much of a mass influx of foreingers to justify these prices for long

fast_dolphin

Postby fast_dolphin » Tue, 03 Oct 2006 9:04 pm

going through the ads, i see what you mean... 3 and 4 bedroom untis haven't gone up nearly as much as the 2-bedroom and studion and 1 bedrooms are relatively unchanged...

the en-bloc route might be the way to go. Anyone know anything about rose gardens?

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Tue, 03 Oct 2006 9:58 pm

I've been looking for a 2BR unit... But prices went up about 30% since june.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Wed, 04 Oct 2006 3:35 pm

It seems to be soaring like the onion price in any wet market!

haha kidding :P
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?