Singapore Expats Forum

PPL and Commercial Pilot Licence

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Mon, 25 Sep 2006 8:01 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Bottom line is... if you want to fly big iron you need to build commercial hours. Lots of pilots start as instructors, then move to small regional craft, then maybe frieght. 3000 hours might get you into a small commuter airline, 6000-7000 to get into the big stuff.

SIA's program accelerates this process... but you still must build hours. Would you want a pilot with only a 1000 hours total time driving your plane?

There's drivers, pilots, and artisans.

If you wanna be an expatriate for a big airline like SIA,then you need at least 7000 hours of flying of an aircraft over 5700KGs..Not only that.You have to go for further training to get used to the advanced aircraft in the flight industry.
In order to receive,you have to believe that you have received. (The Secret)

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Re: PPL and Commercial Pilot Licence

Postby jencrs » Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:42 pm

opboy wrote:Dear all, as I am new to this forum, any kind soul can advise me on this.

I have a PPL and wanted to have a mid career change, can someone advise me on how can I get my CPL or join SIA as a pilot? Do I need to go through the same training as a cadet trainee or some examption since I have a PPL? Pls advise...many thanks

With a PPL, you'll get about 30 or 40 hours exemption from the training in jandakot, I can't remember which, but I think it's 40. I assume your PPL's not restricted.

If you're keen on joining SIA, I wouldn't recommend getting a CPL just yet. It's best to join as an ab-initio cadet. There are many reasons for this.

1) There's still a good chance of SIA rejecting you even with a CPL, and then you'd have wasted the time and money to get the CPL, unless you're willing to consider going the long route with a foreign airline.

2) There are pple who have joined with a CPL, and have got chopped from the course. It's no guarantee that you'd pass the course with a CPL.

3) You'll only get 2 chances at the 1st interview at SIA, and only 1 chance at any stage after the 1st interview (psycho-motor/SIT test/final interview/teaparty). However, SIA will reconsider you, after those chances have been exhausted, if you've improved yourself after the interviews. E.g. getting a degree when you've only got a diploma before, or getting a CPL when you've only got a PPL. This is 1 way to get as many shots at an interview as possible.

Of course, there are also many other things you should consider, namely have you fulfilled the basic SIA pre-requisites like education and age? You mentioned that you're looking at a mid career change, and SIA doesn't accept cadets over the age of 31. Something to consider as well if you're thinking about that CPL.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:06 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Why should there be an exemption for you? Just because you have a PPL?

Not simply a quesiton of an exemption SE, sometimes in some industries parts of peoples training is dispensed with if they are already familar or qualified in certain aspects of the job for which they have applied. For example if you have a license to drive buses or heavy goods vehicles in the UK a company that hires you will not re-train you, just give you a short cursory test. However, I do not know if airlines do the same.

Plavt.

flyinghigh

Postby flyinghigh » Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:42 pm

jencrs wrote:
opboy wrote:Dear all, as I am new to this forum, any kind soul can advise me on this.

I have a PPL and wanted to have a mid career change, can someone advise me on how can I get my CPL or join SIA as a pilot? Do I need to go through the same training as a cadet trainee or some examption since I have a PPL? Pls advise...many thanks

With a PPL, you'll get about 30 or 40 hours exemption from the training in jandakot, I can't remember which, but I think it's 40. I assume your PPL's not restricted.

If you're keen on joining SIA, I wouldn't recommend getting a CPL just yet. It's best to join as an ab-initio cadet. There are many reasons for this.

1) There's still a good chance of SIA rejecting you even with a CPL, and then you'd have wasted the time and money to get the CPL, unless you're willing to consider going the long route with a foreign airline.

2) There are pple who have joined with a CPL, and have got chopped from the course. It's no guarantee that you'd pass the course with a CPL.

3) You'll only get 2 chances at the 1st interview at SIA, and only 1 chance at any stage after the 1st interview (psycho-motor/SIT test/final interview/teaparty). However, SIA will reconsider you, after those chances have been exhausted, if you've improved yourself after the interviews. E.g. getting a degree when you've only got a diploma before, or getting a CPL when you've only got a PPL. This is 1 way to get as many shots at an interview as possible.

Of course, there are also many other things you should consider, namely have you fulfilled the basic SIA pre-requisites like education and age? You mentioned that you're looking at a mid career change, and SIA doesn't accept cadets over the age of 31. Something to consider as well if you're thinking about that CPL.

To ans anyone queries and to add on to jencrs point:

1) If you have a PPL you will get 40 hours exemption from CAAS. That is the max no.of hrs of exemption you can received. To use the exemption, you just need to know how many hours of PIC hours you have clock, for eg, if you logbook have 20hours PIC, then out of the 40 hours, you can only use up to 20hours for the exemption. During you training in Jandakot (Perth), you do not need to fly the extra 20 hrs of general handling.

If you PPL is not restricted, then i assume you have Nav PIC hours. With this, you can get exemption for your Nav PIC flyings in Jandakot also.

2) As what jencrs had mentioned, if you are keen in joining the Airline Career, you may want to join SIA as an Ab-initio cadet.

3) SIA is recruiting cadets now. Log on to the website to apply online. You will be called up soon. With your PPL, i'm sure you will be called up for the 1st interview. Whether you get thru the 1st interview, depends on your performance.

opboy

Postby opboy » Sun, 22 Oct 2006 4:32 pm

[/quote]
2) As what jencrs had mentioned, if you are keen in joining the Airline Career, you may want to join SIA as an Ab-initio cadet.

3) SIA is recruiting cadets now. Log on to the website to apply online. You will be called up soon. With your PPL, i'm sure you will be called up for the 1st interview. Whether you get thru the 1st interview, depends on your performance.[/quote]

Thanks for the advise, but i m 35 this year, doubt they even call me for interview...

visitor

Postby visitor » Sat, 28 Oct 2006 1:27 pm

I've seen an abinitio cadet who joined when he was 33, but 35 would probably be stretching it. Nevertheless, if you are seriously decided on becoming a commercial pilot, SFC does accept private candidates (your age would be fine) who pay for their training through to getting a CPL/IR in Jandakot. They basically follow the course program of any abinitio cadet.

Of course all these comes at a price in terms of finances as well as personal sacrifices needed to complete the course, plus no guarantee that at the end of the day, you'd be accepted by SIA.