Singapore Expats

Outlook Express

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Anatasia

Outlook Express

Post by Anatasia » Sat, 23 Sep 2006 5:51 pm

hi, I would like to retrieve my email by using Outlook Express at home. Currently i only could retrieve it at my office, but when im home (with the same laptop), it does not work at all, i have to retrieve by using webmail. Could anyone tell me how to set the outlook express to be able to retrieve the mails anywhere,anytime with the same laptop?

Would appreciate for any help. Thanks

anatasia :)

spaul
Regular
Regular

Post by spaul » Sat, 23 Sep 2006 6:23 pm

First thing you might do is check with your IT support person/department at your company. Some companies may disable the SMTP/POP feature you will require to check your email outside of the office. If they haven't, then you will need to know the SMTP server and POP server that they use for your email. Once you have that you can create another account to check email but it can sometimes get messy (duplicate emails etc).

Check with your IT guys first is my suggestion before you go changing settings or creating a new account.

Anatasia

Outlook Express

Post by Anatasia » Sat, 23 Sep 2006 10:00 pm

My company don't have any IT personnel. The person who setup our email system was no longer serve in our company. may i know how to check whether it allow to check from outside, and how to set it to be able to retrieve the emails at other places?? the outlook express has pop address and smtp which is singnet. what should i do now?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Outlook Express

Post by ksl » Sun, 24 Sep 2006 4:02 am

Anatasia wrote:My company don't have any IT personnel. The person who setup our email system was no longer serve in our company. may i know how to check whether it allow to check from outside, and how to set it to be able to retrieve the emails at other places?? the outlook express has pop address and smtp which is singnet. what should i do now?
Go into help and look for Outlook Express Troubleshooter

Use this troubleshooter to identify and solve problems related to using Microsoft Outlook Express. Click the statement that best describes the problem, and then try the suggested steps.

What's wrong?

When I start Outlook Express, it does not connect to my Internet service provider (ISP).

I can connect to my ISP, but I get a time-out message when I download e-mail.

I can connect to my ISP, but I can't send or receive e-mail.

I can connect to my ISP, but I can't view any newsgroups.

I get a news connection error message on a specific server, and I can't connect to one or more news servers.

Jedi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jedi » Sun, 24 Sep 2006 8:41 am

Which webmail client are you using? A public one or a private one from your office?

You first need to ascertain whether you can even access your company's mail server from the internet. In your Outlook Express Account settings (Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties, Servers tab) take note of your Incoming and Outgoing servers. When you are connected to the internet at home, try to ping these servers (ie. 'ping [servername]' from a windows command prompt). If ping responds saying it cant access the server then you are out of luck as your company's server is not accessible via the internet (which is usually the case for most).

spaul
Regular
Regular

Post by spaul » Sun, 24 Sep 2006 8:58 am

Anatasia,

PM me or give me your email address. I might be able to help you.

Anatasia

Outlook Express

Post by Anatasia » Sun, 24 Sep 2006 9:07 pm

My outlook express server provider is singnet. It should be a public server.
Spaul,
I couldn't PM anyone, it shown me to post more to enable this features.

Anatasia :)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Outlook Express

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 24 Sep 2006 9:25 pm

Anatasia wrote:My outlook express server provider is singnet. It should be a public server.
Spaul,
I couldn't PM anyone, it shown me to post more to enable this features.

Anatasia :)
Singnet provides your personal email but you must set up mail servers for your company accounts. For example, my company's mail server is mail.catalystprojectsolutions.com. You must have a mail server/account set up for each email account you want to access. Also, you must know if your company's email is POP3 or IMAP.
Last edited by Strong Eagle on Sun, 24 Sep 2006 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spaul
Regular
Regular

Post by spaul » Sun, 24 Sep 2006 9:37 pm

Anatasia,

I just sent you a PM. I can try to support you tomorrow evening remotely. Send me an email and we can arrange a time.

Anatasia

Outlook Express

Post by Anatasia » Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:32 am

I think i know what should i do..Thanks for helps...

spaul
Regular
Regular

Post by spaul » Mon, 25 Sep 2006 9:12 pm

No problem. Let me know if you need help.

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”