Singapore Expats

Starting a blog/website

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
cosmokick

Starting a blog/website

Post by cosmokick » Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:56 pm

Just arrived a few weeks ago.. and am looking to start a blog and post pixs about the whole experience for friends and family back home..

I'm looking for something more than myspace.. possibly setting up my own site that i'd be able to edit.. show travel photos, start a blog, etc.

Any thoughts on how I can get this going? Know any sites? Any people who I'd be willing to pay a bit to get it off the ground?

Thanks so much.

-alex
[email protected]

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Tue, 19 Sep 2006 7:21 pm

Depending on who your ISP ( internet service provider) is you get a certain amount of hosting space free. For instance magix ( singtel) give me 5mb for free.
You could also look at some of the international hosting companies that only charge a few dollars a month.
You could create it in simple html ( loads of tutorials on the net) html software is pretty straight forward.

I think you can even create html from a word document for instance.

If you have any specific questions post them here

Good luck

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Sep 2006 8:31 pm

Get a cheap ISP... mine's in Houston for $16 Sing per month... 1 gig of space, 20 gigs of bandwidth.

Then use Word to create pages and upload... like these.

http://www.herbhost.com/Singapore/singapore.htm

http://www.herbhost.com/seasia/index.htm

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Thu, 21 Sep 2006 6:43 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Get a cheap ISP... mine's in Houston for $16 Sing per month... 1 gig of space, 20 gigs of bandwidth.

Then use Word to create pages and upload... like these.

http://www.herbhost.com/Singapore/singapore.htm

http://www.herbhost.com/seasia/index.htm
Just be aware that html pages created in MS Word fall under the "bloatware" category... ;)
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Sep 2006 9:12 pm

I use an older program called Evrsoft 1st Page 2000. It's free. Not complicated if you aren't looking for a fancy pants site and will give you a pretty good grounding in basic html after a while. I used it entirely for my website along with some copy, modify & paste of some Javascripts. Works for me....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Jedi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jedi » Fri, 22 Sep 2006 7:16 am

My USA based web host costs me $6 SGD per month and gives me 3GB disk plus 100GB bandwidth. I have just finished installing and loading all my photos to my web using Coppermine as the gallery. It doesn't however provide blog facility so you'd need something else for that.

Alternatively you might want to conisder PHP-Nuke. It's highly customisable and you have options as to which gallery you want to use (although I believe Menalto Gallery might integrate better). I'm sure there would be plenty of blog modules for PHP-Nuke out there. Or you could just use the inbuilt BB as a blog.

merliongal26
Regular
Regular

Post by merliongal26 » Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:57 pm

Why not just go to Blogger.com? Thats what I use for my blog. Seems fine, and its free =) u can put up photos, videos etc

Charlatan
Regular
Regular

Post by Charlatan » Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:10 am

I have a blog on Blogger (www.blogger.com). It's free. It is stable. There are no headaches.

As for pictures... you can get a free account at Flickr for photo hosting and then put them on your Blog from there.

Works well and is seamless.

Good luck.

Genesis

Post by Genesis » Tue, 03 Oct 2006 1:49 am

Yeah....why are people actually paying for blog space these days? Don't get it since it's all free.