Singapore Expats Forum

Getting the CAAS equivilent of an FAA rating

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Ice Pirate

Getting the CAAS equivilent of an FAA rating

Postby Ice Pirate » Mon, 18 Sep 2006 9:22 am

Has anyone taken their US FAA rating for A&P and converted it to CAAS equivilent? Just wondering anyone out there is also an Aircraft mechanic.

Cheers!
Ice
If I was half your age, I'd kick your ass! But since I'm twice your age. I'll just sit on mine.

hazel25

Postby hazel25 » Mon, 18 Sep 2006 3:35 pm

I dont think you need to convert it in CAAS certification. Are you a licensed a/c mechanic, if you are, professionally, you'd need to gain a lot of experience before acquiring a FAA license. Which aircraft do you have a rating?

Ice Pirate

Postby Ice Pirate » Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:18 am

Yes, I am certified for US aircraft. However, I would be interested in getting other countries certifications. As a for instance. If a British flagged aircraft required work, I could technically do the work. But would not be allowed to sign it off, as I am not certified in that country. That is why I am looking for info on getting certified here in Sing. It would make me a little more marketable both in the States as well as here.

Cheers!
Ice
If I was half your age, I'd kick your ass! But since I'm twice your age. I'll just sit on mine.

hazel25

Postby hazel25 » Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:38 am

Ice Pirate, what do you mean 'certified for US aircraft'? You mean a US carrier? When asked which a/c you have rating on it means rating on which type of aircraft, e.g., wide bodied, single-aisle, DC's, cessna, heli, etc. If you have rating on say A340 or B747 then you can administer maintenance on these types of aircraft. Are you currently worjking right now? Are you local? If you have a FAA License, it would be good enough, since it's a professional standard of license. If you have ratings on certain types of a/c, you don't have to have the country's (origin of a/c) to have the license. Ratings would certify you.

Ice Pirate

Postby Ice Pirate » Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:13 pm

When I say "Certificated" it means that I am an FAA certified mechanic. Kind of like a licence. Only better. Not being snobbish. Just that it takes a US Federal Judge to take away my certificate. Anyway, I understand what you are saying. However, in order for me to work and sign off gripes on an aircraft that is "flagged" by Singapore. I thought I had to have a Singapore equivilent certificate. I know that it is the case in the US. In order for a person that is not from the US to fix US "flagged" aircraft, they have to hold an FAA certificate to do so. The key here is, to "Sign-off". Otherwise, as long as someone that holds a certificate signs the discrepency off, anyone else can do the actual work.

BTW... Yes, I do live and work here in Sing now. Just looking for ways to better myself. Besides going out and drinking myself silly.

Cheers!
Ice

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:17 pm

Ice pirate's query is quite justified, if you have a private pilots license in the UK for example it is not valid in Singapore. I would imagine the same to be true of the licensing for aircraft mechanics. Remember this may be decided by the law of the land.

Plavt.

hazel25

Postby hazel25 » Thu, 21 Sep 2006 9:36 am

Yes, certain licenses are required depending what the law requires on different countries. Still, the bottom line is, everything would be easy if you have a rating on the different type(s) of a/c. My husband works as an a/c mech in ec, we're foreign but he wasn't required to have a license from the CAAS Board. But he has a rating on wide-bodied aircrafts.