Singapore Expats Forum

Astronauts

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

christoscy

Postby christoscy » Thu, 21 Sep 2006 8:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:ksl,

The system in the photo was on the DS (drillship) Chancellorsville and was taken in early '84. That system held 4 men. When on a dive the bell would be launched with 2 men. One acting as a tender inside while one went out and worked and then after a period of time we would switch for the second half. Then button up everything, haul us back to the surface, mate the bell to the deck chamber equalize pressures and open her up and crawl through. It was tight, damp and you didn't ever have a hot meal or hot drink for the duration of the sat.

Were you working from the receiving end in Holland or from the refugee camp side like I was doing here in SE Asia? Either way, not sure how you felt, but for me, a NAM vet, it was like performing a sort of Penance I guess. Personally fullfilling would be the best way I could describe it.

You should see some of the sat systems provided nowadays,18-man systems,large accomodation chambers and shower/toilet(TUP) satelite TV screens in the system etc...
I ll try been nicer if you try been smarter!!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Sep 2006 9:00 pm

Yeah, guess everything's getting soft nowdays. Not much bragging rights to being a commercial diver today. Not much money in it either with everybody and his brother in it trying to keep wet. Even when I retired in '88 we had kiwi's coming up for days rates in SE Asia of only US$50/day. Not like the north sea. SE Asia nor the GOM have any unions to protect the guys.

I've seen some photos of the newer spreads. Have to admit they look pretty nice though......

christoscy

Postby christoscy » Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:30 pm

No point in bragging about it,it s just a job,it does pay a lot more now after Katrina in the GOM and the general oil crisis caused by world politics
Commercial/offshore diving been 3rd most dangerous job is not true, it s much less risky than many other jobs that pay a lot less.
New age diving-hyberbaric systems,stict regulations and high standards on diving proceedures makes it 100 times safer than in the 70 s and 80 s.
I ll try been nicer if you try been smarter!!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:44 pm

christoscy wrote:No point in bragging about it,it s just a job,it does pay a lot more now after Katrina in the GOM and the general oil crisis caused by world politics
Commercial/offshore diving been 3rd most dangerous job is not true, it s much less risky than many other jobs that pay a lot less.
New age diving-hyberbaric systems,stict regulations and high standards on diving proceedures makes it 100 times safer than in the 70 s and 80 s.

Well, as a diver from the mid '70s till '90 and also being a licensed Metropolitan Insurance Agent in the GOM during the same period, I know what the acturial tables said at that time. What's happened since '90 I couldn't say. 16 years is a long time.....

Return to “General Discussions”