Singapore Expats

Cat Food

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
robin37

Cat Food

Post by robin37 » Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:10 pm

Hello,

Excuse my ignorance we are coming to Singapore early next year, we have two cats can we get cat food from the local supermarket? Again sorry if this is obvious.

regards

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Cat Food

Post by ksl » Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:38 pm

robin37 wrote:Hello,

Excuse my ignorance we are coming to Singapore early next year, we have two cats can we get cat food from the local supermarket? Again sorry if this is obvious.

regards
yes of course and many pet shops! or you could take them down for a free treat at the local hawker centre. My cat can't wait to introduce them to the monsoon drains to party!

I purchase from the local pet dealer, to help support their efforts, supermarkets I have found not so cheaper! either way, I would still support the local shop, they have also to put food on the table in these hard times of commercial power bashing!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 5:11 am

ksl wrote: yes of course and many pet shops! or you could take them down for a free treat at the local hawker centre.
Ha, ha, ha! I find your post very cute and funny. What a breath of fresh air ! I frequent hawker centers and hope the stray cats and cat owners understand the food is for us, human, to consume. Your understanding in this matter will be greatly appreciated. :lol: .

ksl wrote: My cat can't wait to introduce them to the monsoon drains to party!
:???: :???: :???:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:51 am

earthfriendly wrote:
ksl wrote: yes of course and many pet shops! or you could take them down for a free treat at the local hawker centre.
Ha, ha, ha! I find your post very cute and funny. What a breath of fresh air ! I frequent hawker centers and hope the stray cats and cat owners understand the food is for us, human, to consume. Your understanding in this matter will be greatly appreciated. :lol: .

ksl wrote: My cat can't wait to introduce them to the monsoon drains to party!
:???: :???: :???:
Yes I love my wild cat! My daughter wanted me, to take this 14 day old kitten home, I said no at first! It was wondering around outside the childcare, just looking for someone to tag on to. It followed us around for ages, in the end I gave in and said OK, we will take her home!

The cat is one year old now still very wild, doesn't like strangers or relatives, just me and my daughter, a little weired really. Anyway she jumped out of the window into a tree, and I thought we had lost her, I whistled, and she cried and cried, but couldn't see her.

Eventually i found her underground in the drainage system, when i lifted the cover off, several cats jumped out, and just ran different ways. I took her home and a week later she did the same trick again.

Lucky that I had her to the vet, so she cannot have kittens, but once a month she may jump into the tree and off she goes, to the underground world, she belongs to.
I think most of the wild cats here, when disturbed, they head straight for the drainage system to hide, get together, party and fight! ha!

My cat has a very good life, and my daughters two hamsters to play with, believe it or not! Yes I do see her lick her lips now and then! The hamsters love to cuddly up with the cat! no sense of danger.

I sincerely believe our cat is very special, more like a dog, that has feelings, everyday she greets us, standing at the grill of the window, it's uncanny how, she can know that we are a good 50 meters away, and she starts to cry at the window, expecting us coming home. every single day without fail she can hear us walking and talking a long way from the apartment, and comes running to the window grill to greet us..

My wife hated cats, until we got this one, she says, its creepy, because it always wants to be with us, but not to be touched, she doesn't really like to be touched, although she does put up, with my daughter, treating her like a doll. A very funny cat and now part of the family, we are all very happy with her, adopting her was our contribution to the strays of Singapore, she will remain with us forever.

No doubt she will be out playing, when the males start shouting SPG eh!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:02 pm

Ha, ha, ha! I find your post very cute and funny. What a breath of fresh air ! I frequent hawker centers and hope the stray cats and cat owners understand the food is for us, human, to consume. Your understanding in this matter will be greatly appreciated. .
yeah quite right! But I have seen many times, the cats are well fed, down near the beach, by all the seafood eateries, they really have a good lazy life in that area! Me and my daughter love to go and look at them, something special about cats! They have 6th sense without a doubt.

May be, they are all family members reborn!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 1:25 pm

Not trying to ruin it for you. There are many people feeding the stray cats but I don't know if it is a good idea. Recently, a little girl was attacked by one of the stray. Her parents mentioned the cats were abound where they lived as people were offering them food. Would SPCA be a better place?

Don't get me wrong. I grew up with a bunch of cats myself. I was not into cats but my mom was. The cats had this strange habit of roaming out of our residential compound and they would appear out of nowhere when it was meal time. Not exactly housecats.

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by joop » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 2:18 pm

robin37 wrote:Hello,

regards
Yes, cat food is readily available in most supermarkets and pet stores. So you needn't bring too much over. :)
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 6:34 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Not trying to ruin it for you. There are many people feeding the stray cats but I don't know if it is a good idea. Recently, a little girl was attacked by one of the stray. Her parents mentioned the cats were abound where they lived as people were offering them food. Would SPCA be a better place?

Don't get me wrong. I grew up with a bunch of cats myself. I was not into cats but my mom was. The cats had this strange habit of roaming out of our residential compound and they would appear out of nowhere when it was meal time. Not exactly housecats.
Your quite right of course, but the cats do serve a purpose, here in Singapore especially, rats breed much faster than cats! and to be honest I haven't seen many rats in Singapore, other than the two legged ones!

even outside the blk where i live, the cats are looked after, if they are looking thin or diseased, they do need to be controlled, and humanely put to sleep, if they are diseased.

But I prefer animals to humans any day of the week, sad but true! depending on which animal of course, but there aren't many animals that kill for the fun of it, apart from a few that i know, and they kill out of pure instinct.

People on the other hand, can be very unpredictable, disloyal, and are liable to change their minds quite often, when it suits them and not others. complexed and complicated!

The cat however, will always remain independant and survive, using its instinctive senses, it will show you who is boss, unless you train it at a young age. The way to do it, is when the cat scratches you, while playing, you retaliate, by biting its ear! reminding the cat who is boss, if the kitten wants, to play rough, you can play rough too!

The mother of the cat would instictively bite its kittens, if they dug their nails into her, and it hurt, Its there way of saying hey, enough is enough, that hurts!

A cat that is not trained, will ignore its master all the time and have no respect for humans, all cats have leaders, they live under that kind of system and need to be shown who is the boss.

Now whenever my cat fights me, she is aware, that she can hurt me, with her nails, so she keeps them in, when her both legs grab my arm or hands, otherwise, she will get a bite on her ear, to remind her, I am much stronger, and i can hurt her.

The cat is so gentle with my 5 year old, and she plays with it like a doll, even though I do tell her not to, My dauhter also needs to learn the hard way too, so the cat does stick her nails in sometimes, but never draws blood, she knows better. Its just a warning to say hey, I'm a cat, not a rag doll.

borneng

Post by borneng » Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:25 pm

ksl,

Thank you for that reading. Good post, I really enjoyed it. :D

kitkat1213

cat food

Post by kitkat1213 » Sun, 01 Oct 2006 4:27 am

Hi Robin37,

There are lots of local pet shops in neighborhood shops and commercial centers all over Singapore. I guess it depends on what kind of cat food your kitties are used to. Mine is purely on dry cat food now and if i don't get the time to get her food (or even her cat litter) from the shop, there are several on-line pet supply delivery shops you can choose from (i prefer hotdog.com) So far, no problems from them - they even deliver after office hours (convenient as i work long hours:).

Good luck on your preparations and hope your kitties stay happy!

saidean

Post by saidean » Sat, 13 Jan 2007 6:03 am

There's a cultural thing here too - cats are often not well liked by the Chinese majority; they prefer dogs. Malays on the other hand, love cats. So most of the pet shops tend to stock up on dog stuff rather than cat stuff, although the bigger shops will have a good variety of cat supplies. There's a shop in Holland Village's Chip bee gardens that is cat-friendly.. they have a few cats running around in the shop.. always fun to try to find them :) They sell mostly cats there.

On a darker note, there are numerous instances of animal abuse, often violent, and especially inflicted on stray cats. Cats that have been tortured, burned, hanged, broken, thrown off the high residential flats etc... such people deserved to be jailed for life but the government doesn't care much about animals (the jail term is a joke).

The SPCA in Singapore takes a pragmatic approach to stray animals too. They will try their best to house them, but if they can't, they will be put to sleep. So I tend not to report any strays to the SPCA. Instead, do the good thing and bring them to the vet first to have they spayed (their ears are clipped to indicate they've been neutered), and then house them, even if termporarily while advertising in the various pet shops for a good home for them. They will find a home faster if you can vaccinate them first.

LetThereBeLight

Post by LetThereBeLight » Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:44 pm

Yes, I agree with saidean. Try not to call the SPCA or even AVA as your first approach. You may like to call the Cat Welfare Society, or Action for Dogs instead. The animals have a higher chance of survival. It's not that SPCA is cruel or something... but they receive 900 animals a month! (http://www.todayonline.com/articles/167649.asp) They wont have the space to keep all of them.

Back to the original topic of this thread... Robin, you may like to find more about cat food from http://www.pets.com.sg. :)