Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore or Hong Kong

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

bye22ca

Singapore or Hong Kong

Postby bye22ca » Wed, 13 Sep 2006 2:13 am

Hi everyone, We need some help, we are a gay mix couple HK/White late 30's in Toronto , My BF got an offer from Hk and Singapore, we do not know where to go, being from Hk originally, of course my pref in HK, but then I do not mind trying a new city too... the $ is about the same. Can anyone tell us what's like living in singapore??
Cheers!!

oku
Regular
Regular

Postby oku » Thu, 14 Sep 2006 9:49 am

hi,

having spent some time in hk, this is what i see.

hk is "ALIVE". there are so much things to do. lots of restaurants and shops are open till the wee hours in the morning. service standard is much better. plenty of interesting place to see and explore. i just love taking the bus and train and alight at any place that i fancy and check out the area. but the air pollution is really bad and marketing wise can be a headache cos' of the many contaminated meat and vegetables reported in the papers.

singapore is a nice place too. she is like hong kong but maybe a bit more laid back kind of a place. i simply have no words to describe it. i am happy here. but i dont think many people here embrace the kind of relationship you are in. but generally i think if you are discreet, no one will murmur a word or two.

as you said, you would like to try out a new place. why not singapore.

cheers :wink:

mjka

Re: Singapore or Hong Kong

Postby mjka » Sun, 17 Sep 2006 3:25 pm

bye22ca wrote:Hi everyone, We need some help, we are a gay mix couple HK/White late 30's in Toronto , My BF got an offer from Hk and Singapore, we do not know where to go, being from Hk originally, of course my pref in HK, but then I do not mind trying a new city too... the $ is about the same. Can anyone tell us what's like living in singapore??
Cheers!!

If the $ are about the same choose Singapore, as it will bring you further. You would need about 20-30% more salary in HK to feel comfortable.
I recently moved from Singapore to HK and still can't believe how small the flats are over here. I pay about 3 times what I used to pay in Singapore and my flat is 1/3 the size!

And in Singapore your BF could get by with English, in HK the level of English is declining by the hour. Have not found a taxi driver who understands basic directions in english. Same for local restaurants, receptionists, shop assistants.

Can't comment much on the entertainment, but believe you can find what you need in both cities.