Singapore Expats Forum

Names on official documents

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

joeyatsingapore
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun, 20 Aug 2006
Location: Toronto Canada
Contact:

Names on official documents

Postby joeyatsingapore » Sun, 10 Sep 2006 9:58 am

Hi all,

I'm curious on how names are written on official documents in Singapore.

The reason I'm asking is because I just received my EP acknowledgment letter and I wanted to make sure that the name is written in the right way.

So my name as in my passport is: Joseph Nashat Youssef Aziz
and my name as it appears on the letter is: Aziz Joseph Nashat Youssef

That's right folks, the last name is written first without a double space or comma separation. Is that correct?
Live Long, Live Happy

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11110
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 10 Sep 2006 12:52 pm

Very common and every one seems to deal with the last name last, last name first situation without much hassle.

User avatar
DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu, 14 Apr 2005

Postby DimWit Kid » Sun, 10 Sep 2006 8:30 pm

Yes, it says Kid Dimwit in my EP :D

joeyatsingapore
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun, 20 Aug 2006
Location: Toronto Canada
Contact:

Postby joeyatsingapore » Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:33 pm

Great! The last thing anyone wants is a mistake in his/her EP.
Live Long, Live Happy

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:03 pm

On the other hand, my NRIC has my name as Sunday Morning Staple and not Staple Sunday Morning. Does it really matter? Nah. Except when people are trying to find my fixed line number in the phone book and don't realize they need to look it up by my first name and not family name.

joeyatsingapore
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun, 20 Aug 2006
Location: Toronto Canada
Contact:

Postby joeyatsingapore » Mon, 11 Sep 2006 2:25 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:On the other hand, my NRIC has my name as Sunday Morning Staple and not Staple Sunday Morning. Does it really matter? Nah. Except when people are trying to find my fixed line number in the phone book and don't realize they need to look it up by my first name and not family name.


That I can understand, but documents from the same type (NRIC, EPs, bank statements, etc.) should have the same format. This is why I'm asking particularly about EPs approval letters. according to DimWit, using the last name first seems to be the usual format.
Live Long, Live Happy

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11110
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 11 Sep 2006 7:00 am

joeyatsingapore wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:On the other hand, my NRIC has my name as Sunday Morning Staple and not Staple Sunday Morning. Does it really matter? Nah. Except when people are trying to find my fixed line number in the phone book and don't realize they need to look it up by my first name and not family name.


That I can understand, but documents from the same type (NRIC, EPs, bank statements, etc.) should have the same format. This is why I'm asking particularly about EPs approval letters. according to DimWit, using the last name first seems to be the usual format.


All my documents happen to be that way. But, others have them all over the place. US passports list last name first and all my docs are like that. But my biz partner, also American, has some of his docs as last name last, others, last name first. He's been here 12 years, with DL, PR, etc, etc.

On my personal bank account I am last name first, on my corporate account the other way around. It doesn't matter.

It's a tempest in a teapot and no big deal.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Sep 2006 9:35 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
joeyatsingapore wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:On the other hand, my NRIC has my name as Sunday Morning Staple and not Staple Sunday Morning. Does it really matter? Nah. Except when people are trying to find my fixed line number in the phone book and don't realize they need to look it up by my first name and not family name.


That I can understand, but documents from the same type (NRIC, EPs, bank statements, etc.) should have the same format. This is why I'm asking particularly about EPs approval letters. according to DimWit, using the last name first seems to be the usual format.


All my documents happen to be that way. But, others have them all over the place. US passports list last name first and all my docs are like that. But my biz partner, also American, has some of his docs as last name last, others, last name first. He's been here 12 years, with DL, PR, etc, etc.

On my personal bank account I am last name first, on my corporate account the other way around. It doesn't matter.

It's a tempest in a teapot and no big deal.


Would tend to agree as my Passport also is listed with family name first, my first EP I think was that way, the second with as my current NRIC is. Some of the banks (POSB, DBS have me with my full name as on my NRIC while StanChart has me with an initial for my middle name. Don't think it really makes a difference. My wife's NRIC shows her real name (Singaporean) and an alias of "Mrs" Sunday Morning Staple although she has never used that here. Don't worry about it as long as the spellings are correct (even that is suspect here - all my wifes' siblings family names are using 3 different spellings among 7 siblings).

sms

joeyatsingapore
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun, 20 Aug 2006
Location: Toronto Canada
Contact:

Postby joeyatsingapore » Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:01 pm

Spellig is correct.
Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Live Long, Live Happy


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest