Singapore Expats

What is a good range for quassi expat package for Singapore.

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
rajeev

What is a good range for quassi expat package for Singapore.

Post by rajeev » Sat, 09 Sep 2006 2:45 pm

I am negotiating with large Multinational FMCG company in Singapore for a marketing role. I have 7yrs of workex and have been in Singapore for 2 yrs on local package.

1) Can I ask for quassi-expat package? Housing, conveyence and kids education, taxs paid?

2) What kind of salary to expect? Though been here for 2yrs don't have much understanding of quassi - expat package salaries.

Thanks
Rajeev

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 09 Sep 2006 3:51 pm

Good luck. Expat package perks include car allowance, housing allowance, school allowance, and flights back home. Only thing is, more and more MNC's are beginning to realize that living in Singapore is not exactly a hardship, and fewer and fewer are offering expat packages.

Just because your looking at an MNC doesn't mean you'll get an expat package. To the contrary, if they can find local talent, they will be happy to hire. You've been here two years, I bet they consider you local.

But you can always try for any of the above.

spaul
Regular
Regular

Post by spaul » Sun, 10 Sep 2006 8:37 am

As an senior manager who does a lot of hiring in another expat heavy country, I highly doubt they would move you to an expat package quassi or not. It tends to be that if you are on a local package now you will be considered a local and offered a local package. If you are coming from an expat package or being relocated then you have a good chance of getting it. No harm in asking but dont hold your breath.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:47 pm

spaul wrote:As an senior manager who does a lot of hiring in another expat heavy country, I highly doubt they would move you to an expat package quassi or not. It tends to be that if you are on a local package now you will be considered a local and offered a local package. If you are coming from an expat package or being relocated then you have a good chance of getting it. No harm in asking but dont hold your breath.
Just to add a bit further, as an HR & Finance Manager, I find that even the MNC's are dicing around with the expat packages even if you were an expat here initially. The thought is that if you are looking in Asia while still here it's because you want to stay. Therefore you may be willing to give up some of the perks (especially once you get used to the tax rates here. ;) )

Also, once you have gone on a local package it's almost impossible to regain any purchase in the full package arena as they know you will accept less historically.

Give it a try though - who knows, you might get lucky, but don't hold your breath!

:cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers