Singapore Expats Forum

What % of people on here are actually expats?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Are you an expat?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 39

Carletta

What % of people on here are actually expats?

Postby Carletta » Wed, 30 Aug 2006 1:23 pm

Seems like most of the people on here are singaporean! Why I wonder?

hillview2006
Regular
Regular

Postby hillview2006 » Wed, 30 Aug 2006 1:41 pm

Although I’m not Singaporean but this is kind of interesting although Not so important question but it’s fun to answer :wink: No correct or wrong answers. It’s all maybe :- pls add your own maybe too…
1) Singaporeans are friendlier in the net and one way to show that they care of others?
2) ‘’ internet savvy
3) another way of spending their time
the list may go on …

aurele

Postby aurele » Thu, 31 Aug 2006 5:05 am

I am an expat from Holland married to a British. I have been here since 1988. I must admit most of my time is spent between Holland, UK and Singapore because of business committments.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:13 am

aurele wrote:I am an expat from Holland married to a British. I have been here since 1988. I must admit most of my time is spent between Holland, UK and Singapore because of business committments.

I'm British married to a Taiwanese, with Kids in Denmark and UK and god knows where else! and like you, spend all my time and money on travelling, business innovation, and kids!

My travels started in 1969, today I'm totally lost, :shock: :???: that i never want to return to my home city, to live again. and Singapore is just a little too humid for me, to be comfortable, especially when I like to run so much!

Where is the best place to live? UK is to cold in winter, never been to Spain, because all the resident Brits there, turn me off, especially when most are apparently Criminals on the Costa Del Crime.

But I guess the climate is nice. Greece is good but boring! any other ideas please.

renter
Chatter
Chatter

Postby renter » Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:55 am

Are you saying expatriates are foreigners?

Conker

Postby Conker » Thu, 31 Aug 2006 2:11 pm

Are you saying expatriates are foreigners?

Er...yes! Basically anyone who has taken up residence in a foreign country.

shuriken
Regular
Regular

Postby shuriken » Thu, 31 Aug 2006 3:24 pm

renter wrote:Are you saying expatriates are foreigners?

expatriate

Main Entry: 1ex·pa·tri·ate
Pronunciation: ek-'spA-trE-"At
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -at·ed; -at·ing
Etymology: Medieval Latin expatriatus, past participle of expatriare to leave one's own country, from Latin ex- + patria native country,
from feminine of patrius of a father, from patr-, pater father -- more at FATHER
transitive verb

1 : BANISH, EXILE
2 : to withdraw (oneself) from residence in or allegiance to one's native country

intransitive verb : to leave one's native country to live elsewhere; also : to renounce allegiance to one's native country

- ex·pa·tri·ate /-"At, -&t/ noun
- ex·pa·tri·a·tion /(")ek-"spA-trE-'A-sh&n/ noun

-----------------------------------------------------------
..and yes. I'm an expatriate. 8-)

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Loops » Thu, 31 Aug 2006 8:08 pm

ksl, you could try northern Spain. I have friends who moved from the UK to a village about half an hour from Barcelona - they are very happy and it isn't a big expat area.

The percentage of crims in Spain from the UK is very low. Most people there have probably gone to live out their retirement.

It's the new Eastbourne!

aurele

Postby aurele » Fri, 01 Sep 2006 6:37 am

Ksl,

My in-laws live in Seville in Spain. They bought a retirement home there three years ago and they like it over there. We visit them whenever we can take some time off work. It is quite pretty out there. As for my parents, they have always had a second home in Batsi in Greece. As children we spent our summer vacations there. Greece has always been our second home from my parents side.

Uk is fine too. We live in a leafy town of Weybridge closer to Esher. It is more like a village than a big town. We have been here over 5 years now.
It is totally different to Amsterdam but I still manage to cycle to the local shops though. I think you will like weybridge or Esher but it depends on what you are looking for.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 05 Sep 2006 12:47 am

Loops wrote:ksl, you could try northern Spain. I have friends who moved from the UK to a village about half an hour from Barcelona - they are very happy and it isn't a big expat area.

The percentage of crims in Spain from the UK is very low. Most people there have probably gone to live out their retirement.

It's the new Eastbourne!

I do have a few ex school mates living out there actually, but never found the time to visit, he had a nightclub I believe called the elephante, in !!! mmm, yes lost it! Bellemadina I think its called. he's been out there a good 20 years, in fact just sold the club last year i think it was.

Kongster

Postby Kongster » Fri, 08 Sep 2006 5:15 pm

I been to this bar b4, is it just beside a place with alot of colourful lightings on the ground & they get reflected to the ceiling.

saturnia

Postby saturnia » Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:25 pm

aurele wrote:Ksl,

My in-laws live in Seville in Spain. They bought a retirement home there three years ago and they like it over there. We visit them whenever we can take some time off work. It is quite pretty out there. As for my parents, they have always had a second home in Batsi in Greece. As children we spent our summer vacations there. Greece has always been our second home from my parents side.

Uk is fine too. We live in a leafy town of Weybridge closer to Esher. It is more like a village than a big town. We have been here over 5 years now.
It is totally different to Amsterdam but I still manage to cycle to the local shops though. I think you will like weybridge or Esher but it depends on what you are looking for.

Hey aurele I am from Batsi too! Where abouts do you live in Batsi? Do you speak any Greek? I grew up there, my parents owned a constuction company and most of the villas and apartments in Batsi were built by our company. How long have you been in Britain? I always visit my uncle and aunt in Richmond. How about meeting for some Greek coffee?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Sep 2006 2:20 pm

saturnia wrote:Hey aurele I am from Batsi too!

Now why doesn't that surprise me. :cool:

Shaw Communications Inc

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 12 Sep 2006 3:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
saturnia wrote:Hey aurele I am from Batsi too!

Now why doesn't that surprise me. :cool:

Shaw Communications Inc

:D :D

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Tue, 12 Sep 2006 4:08 pm

Malaysian!
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.