Singapore Expats Forum

what do you look for when chosing a maid?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:40 pm

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ft ... light=maid

I've been one of the most vocal people here for well over a year. Sometimes the old threads can provide a wealth of information on attitudes on forums. Although quite a number of them have been lost due to a server crash a while back. crikey! :wink:

You will find that most of the old timers here are very much against the local tendencies (both here and Malaysia). Usually we try to read or link the old threads to keep from repeating ourselves while other times we just get tired of newbies who don't bother so we try to head off going down the same path over and over. But, if you want to do it over and over 'ad nauseum' go for it......... As one old timer said in the past (and I agree wholeheartedly) rather than yammer on the forum why not go out and do something about it. Write to your MP, Write to the Straits Times, Write to Stomp, Demonstrate. Or,........just whinge on a forum where you won't change anybody's opinion at all nor change any laws either. Crikey!

Thanks Steve for the latest catchword....R.I.P.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 1:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As one old timer said in the past (and I agree wholeheartedly) rather than yammer on the forum why not go out and do something about it.

Did someone just call me old? :P

Yes the number of posts here about maids could fill up a book. We could call it "Maid in Singapore" or "The Politics of Domestics" or "Singapore's Generation M: Children raised by Maids" etc.

Anyway it's been quiet enough around here that a human rights debate would be highly entertaining right now.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 1:18 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Did someone just call me old? :P

Anyway it's been quiet enough around here that a human rights debate would be highly entertaining right now.

:oops!:

and you might be right on the latter as well (seeing as how when I did a search a lot of those threads were lost or pruned) even the link in the thread I linked is gone. :cry:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Oct 2006 1:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:Did someone just call me old? :P

:oops!:

and you might be right on the latter as well (seeing as how when I did a search a lot of those threads were lost or pruned) even the link in the thread I linked is gone. :cry:

I think a bump here might be in order....... :wink:

Any thoughts on the news yesterday evening with regards to the new employment contract/salary payments update? Who knows, maybe some of the polititians actually read their mail and possibly also read some of the forums out here in cyberspace.

At least it looks like they are trying to slowly move in the right direction.

One step at a time I guess......

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Wed, 04 Oct 2006 3:30 pm

I dont remember if it was carletta? or someone else.... who caught her maid sporting her knickers!

LOL - so, one advice would be to make sure s/he hasnt any fetishes that you donot approve of!

:lol:
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 04 Oct 2006 6:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Any thoughts on the news yesterday evening with regards to the new employment contract/salary payments update? Who knows, maybe some of the polititians actually read their mail and possibly also read some of the forums out here in cyberspace.

I've done more than my fair share of bitching about Singapore's labor policies here, but for this move I definitely applaud the MOM. Not only do maids get their salary in their bank account, but they're also promising unannounced interviews of maids, which would be a lifeline for some virtual slaves -- at least if they do it right. (I can't see a maid saying too many bad things if her employer, Madame Tan, is glowering over her with a frying pan in her hand during the "interview".)

But I still think it's inexcusable not to require at least one day off per week, much less per month. :mad:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Oct 2006 6:58 pm

JP,

this is inline with what they have done for "S" Pass holders as well. Employers of S Pass holders are "required" by MOM to pay via GIRO payments into the Employee's Banks account. This is also subject to inspection at any time and you must as an employer show them the bank GIRO records showing the transfers. (I've currently got 6 Myanmar Engineers on "S" passes). The domestic worker can still opt for cash from what I understand. The 'S' Pass holders can't - it's a must by law.

I agree on the mandatory 1 day off a week. As I said, one day at a time I guess.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Thu, 05 Oct 2006 8:41 am

Well, it would appear that things are finally looking up and definitely agree on the 1 day off minimum too.
One man's meat is another's poison.