Singapore Expats Forum

driving without licences,

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

nizam_must

driving without licences,

Postby nizam_must » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 4:07 am

my wife have been charges with the following,

a) PERMITTING USE OF MOTOR WEHICLE WITHOUT INSURANCE SEC 3(1) MV (THIRD PARTY RISKS AND COMPENSATION0) ACT 189

b) PERMITTING DRIVING WITHOUT LINCENCES AN OFFENCES UNDER S35(2) RTA 276

will she be slap with hefty fines and what i concern most is, will she her driving licences be suspended or revoked?

thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:39 am

From a purely personal point of view, I have no idea but I would think they authorities would frown heavily on anyone who deliberately endangered the life of other by letting an unlicensed driver behind the wheel (without a P plate visible that is). Especially without sufficient insurance coverage. (Mixed feelings if it were an emergency situation - one should not endanger others due to a personal reason).

If the unlicensed driver is, perchance, that way because of loss of license for violations even moreso as that person has already proven themselves of being incapable of driving with common sense.

I would call the Police to see if the fines may be compounded. If so, they should be able to give you the compound amount I would think.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:56 am

It should say in the letter she received from the Traffic Police what the penalties are, and whether there is the option to compound the offence by paying a fine of a specified amount. Or, like SMS says, call the Traffic Police directly to find out. You also have the option to appeal the charge and this will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Hope her reasons are good though. I hate to think there are unlicensed drivers on our roads. The licensed ones are already bad enough!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: driving without licences,

Postby ksl » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:46 am

nizam_must wrote:my wife have been charges with the following,

a) PERMITTING USE OF MOTOR WEHICLE WITHOUT INSURANCE SEC 3(1) MV (THIRD PARTY RISKS AND COMPENSATION0) ACT 189

will she be slap with hefty fines and what i concern most is, will she her driving licences be suspended or revoked?

thanks

It couldn't be worse, if there is no specific fine mentioned, it looks like a court case, simply because she was driving witout a licence, hence no insurance would cover her anyway. even if the car was insured.

the police can give you an idea only, the judges are the worst, if they have had a bad day or no sex the night before!!! So keep your fingers crossed!

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:24 pm

ksl wrote: or no sex the night before

Which, in Singapore, is almost a certainty.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Barczar » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 1:34 pm

How can her license be suspended or revoked if she was charged with driving without a license in the first place?...one would assume she doesn't have one to begin with?... :???: Good luck with it...from the sounds of things you're going to need it!
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 2:25 pm

Barczar wrote:How can her license be suspended or revoked if she was charged with driving without a license in the first place?...one would assume she doesn't have one to begin with?... :???: Good luck with it...from the sounds of things you're going to need it!

The OP says permitted which suggests she allowed someone else the use of a motor vehicle.

Plavt.

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Barczar » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:18 pm

Fair enough!
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:01 am

thanks

Unless your wife can prove that the vehicle was stolen the law says that the offence will be viewed as though the owner of the vehicle committed the offence. So, your wife is on the hook.

Fine for a first offence is not to exceed $10,000, $1,000 fine for first offence... and up to three years in jail.

Her license can, and probably will be revoked for a period of time. If less than one year, she can drive when she gets it back, if more than one year she will need to retake the driving course.

Ophelia

Postby Ophelia » Sat, 09 Sep 2006 11:47 pm

Hey Strong Eagle, nice to see you are still around, we are still here after your recommendation for the accountant to set up our company :)
We're no longer with her though after a bad bout of blatant overcharging on her behalf :)

Anyway, onto the actual thread - by what you are saying here, she is basically DOOMED!
The subordinate courts deal with what it states in the title, so she isn't going to get off lightly.
East coast park is pretty grubby at the moment so if she's lucky she may get some community service picking up Malaysia's washed up rubbish.

Whats for certain here is that she won't be the recipient of the good old British judgement, consisting of; a slap on the wrist, a fine payable weekly out of your government DSS payments (the Blair giveth and he taketh away!) and a free holiday to somewhere nice to quell your rebellious streak - all at the tax payers expense!

I don't go with the 'sex thing' here, break the law and the only 'stiff' thing you can expect is the financial penalty and if you are male - a night of passion with your latest cell member - mr BIG! :o Who may make you his new wife :shock:

Catch you later

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 11 Sep 2006 6:54 pm

Ophelia wrote:Hey Strong Eagle, nice to see you are still around, we are still here after your recommendation for the accountant to set up our company :)
We're no longer with her though after a bad bout of blatant overcharging on her behalf :)

You are the first to make that comment and I've made several recommendations. And I've never experienced that problem, either.

Ophelia wrote:Anyway, onto the actual thread - by what you are saying here, she is basically DOOMED!
The subordinate courts deal with what it states in the title, so she isn't going to get off lightly.
East coast park is pretty grubby at the moment so if she's lucky she may get some community service picking up Malaysia's washed up rubbish.

The law is quite strict on this, as are many Singapore laws, but there is provision for first time offense, and with suitable explanation, may not be as draconian as you make out.

Ophelia wrote:Whats for certain here is that she won't be the recipient of the good old British judgement, consisting of; a slap on the wrist, a fine payable weekly out of your government DSS payments (the Blair giveth and he taketh away!) and a free holiday to somewhere nice to quell your rebellious streak - all at the tax payers expense!

I don't go with the 'sex thing' here, break the law and the only 'stiff' thing you can expect is the financial penalty and if you are male - a night of passion with your latest cell member - mr BIG! :o Who may make you his new wife :shock:

Catch you later

:???: :???: :???:

saturnia

Postby saturnia » Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:09 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:

thanks

Unless your wife can prove that the vehicle was stolen the law says that the offence will be viewed as though the owner of the vehicle committed the offence. So, your wife is on the hook.

Fine for a first offence is not to exceed $10,000, $1,000 fine for first offence... and up to three years in jail.

Her license can, and probably will be revoked for a period of time. If less than one year, she can drive when she gets it back, if more than one year she will need to retake the driving course.

For her to prove that her vehicle was stolen, the court would definitely demand to see a police record of it being reported stolen.

Every country has a rule as to how fines are going to be fixed. Some are mandatory while others are dependant on the hierarchy of the court.

Licence revocation is also dependant on previous driving offences.

Singapore has very strict laws that govern driving offences so don't expect to get away with it.