Singapore Expats

Questions About Emirates Interview on the 26th August 2006..

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
tabby

Re: Questions About Emirates Interview on the 26th August 20

Post by tabby » Sun, 27 Aug 2006 7:05 pm

Hi flawa,i wonder if you can help me out thru your valuable info abt emirates 2nd interview.can i add you in msn as i had difficulties trying to pm you in this forum. =)
flawa wrote:Hello….

I’m not new here but been actively reading the threads in this forum since having problems activating my account, hopefully this time I can share some tips for those going to the emirates 26th Aug walk-in intv.

The most useful tip if you really want this job is to smile and smile, never fail to smile while the interviewers screen you. Never ever wear a sloppy or casual attire to the Emirates intv, unlike SQ I am so very disappointed looking at how pathetic and disrespectful people can be when coming for the intv. They are people in shorts, jeans, spaghetti straps and even tubes! For Emirates, these are a NO-NO!

Be in a strictly proper black business suit, stockings and black plain court shoes with heels. Put on make-up that can be seen (they don’t like too light or pale make-up), red lipstick is highly reckon and pls tie up your hair back into bun very2 neatly, I encourage those with long hair to have your hair sprayed with tones of hair spray if they don’t stay well. All in all you have to look well-groomed and professional. I am very confident if you heed closely these advices, you can clear the first round easily.

Be prepared to get ur photo taken for a full length photograph and a passport size photo during the walk-in if they find that your photos are unsuitable. But most of the time, you are required to take them cause Emirates is very very strict when it comes to this. May want so prepare some cash on that day to have your photo taken by their assigned photographer during the walk-in. For a 4R photo will cost you $18. Those registering online, you can submit any kind of photo as long as they look decent but for the walk-in, it MUST be in business suit taken by a professional photographer.

The first round, selection is done by their appointed agency, SSAntlantic. Their job is to shortlist as many girls as possible. To get through this round is very easy, just smile and look your besst! Do not feel disappointed or question yourself if you didn’t make thru the first round. Why I said so because the 1st round, the agency select girls based on appearance and grooming on how pleasant you look like (that's why I kept on emphasizing on grooming), nothing to do with being articulate or proactive during the group discussion. Most of the time ppl questioned the agency on why they weren’t selected although they participate actively in the discussion and those who kept quite throughout got thru the first round, the reason is as mentioned above.

So girls…good luck! Please be at your best and flaunt your smile! Another useful tip, best time to go for the walk in is after lunch cause those who made it to the next round have to come back to the hotel around late afternoon for a briefing somewhere at 4.30pm – 6.30pm. Cause you wdnt want to come for the intv in the morn then if you got selected to proceed the next round (which is on another day at the same hotel) then come back to the hotel again in the afternoon for the briefing. Its a long long wait and a waste of time, just be ready to take 1 day leave in case you made it the next round.

I be at your most pleasure if you girls need any tips for the subsequent rounds. All the best girls!!

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Sun, 27 Aug 2006 7:39 pm

Yes more than 75% will be eliminated as the day progresses. If you make it through and gain a spot with Emirates, you better treasure it because many girls really really want this job.

As mentioned in my other post, there have been instances of 300 coming, and Recruitment Officers hire 5-10. It is that competitive.

Good luck to you.

tabby

Post by tabby » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:14 am

Toygirl,

Thanks for answering my queries.It's really very competitive indeed.Getting through the first interview takes abit of luck and good impression.I heard that getting thru the 2nd interview is no easy task,with high number of eliminations.Other than the usual stuff about grooming and other what-nots,I wonder what are expected of us in this round so that we are well prepared for it.
Yea,it will be a dream come true job apart from the travel benefits and the so called "glam" bundled with it.Most importantly,one must have the passion to serve.

toygirl wrote:Yes more than 75% will be eliminated as the day progresses. If you make it through and gain a spot with Emirates, you better treasure it because many girls really really want this job.

As mentioned in my other post, there have been instances of 300 coming, and Recruitment Officers hire 5-10. It is that competitive.

Good luck to you.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:02 am

toygirl wrote:Yes more than 75% will be eliminated as the day progresses. If you make it through and gain a spot with Emirates, you better treasure it because many girls really really want this job.

Good luck to you.
Hola Toyger! I really appreciate the information that you post on this forum. I have gotten through the first round of interview with SASS and I really wonder what is going to happen in the second round. I hope that you will kindly share some tips with me. Hope to hear from you soon.

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 1:13 pm

Make sure you turn up for the briefing session. The local recruiter will basically feed you all the neccessary information on how to act, answer and basically give tips.

Remember this is not some other airline interview. It is a behavioral based interview so it is very difficult to fool the recruitment officers and they are extremely strict as they done it hundreds of times and not like some cabin crew executive who is fresh out of university with a 2nd Uppers at some other airline with very little cabin crew experience. Both will have been trained in psychometrics and one will be taking notes as well while the other observes.

Those who manage to fool the Recruitment Officers (LOL) - Will regret it when they reach DXB and realise that this job isn't for them.

Usually 2 group rounds will commence. It is very difficult to fake it through because remember the Recruitment Officers are actually ex-cabin crew themselves and can detect between "Fake" to sincere. They will observe how you interact with each other as you solve a task, play a game, etc - Subconsciously you may do things that you will be told doing the briefing not to do.

If you can't reach 212cm, you will be asked to leave - Emirates will recheck this again to ensure they don't waste their time. English test will be given and some actually fail it! - Yes, those D7, E8 Singlish language girls - Start practicing. It's shocking actually, but after hearing some girls speak - I do shudder myself - Drop the "eh" "ahhhh" " is it???" Can you imagine in flight you go "Sir, would you like coffee or tea ahhhh?? Sugar is it?" The best one I start giggling is when I hear girls go "Can????, can la!"

A psychometric cum intellectual ability test will be given - Don't worry, they aren't looking for geniuses but they can tell very quickly if you're putting up an act as the test actually can detect that!

1-1 will be held in Sass Atlantic's office where both Recruitment Officers where there is 2 on 1 interview and they will ask questions - One will take notes as you speak and observe every intricate detail.

Giggle, whatever you do - Don't try the brainless "I want to travel routine" or "I heard Dubai is hot" routine :)

It's very select that will make it through. Don't bother approaching them to ask why you flunked - I know some SQ or MI rejects actually do that or even argue - If you do this at Emirates interview, you won't be interviewing there for a loooooooonng time.

It does not mean if you pass through all the interviews that is it - Your file goes back to Dubai where 3-5 other levels review it - a Executive, a Manager, and then the CEO at times to ensure the quality is maintained! I am not kidding!

Anyway, this is the most selective interview process I know of - Simple reason: SOOO MANY PEOPLE APPLY. And some even fly overseas to attend this interview!

I really want to stress this - You will be away from your boyfriend and family and in a completely new world and culture. Let your family know in advance so that they know what happens. Make sure you want this because I am sorry to say this, I do not have any compassion for girls who waste interviewing time and resources depriving others who genuinely can pursue this.

Another note - The passenger profile for this airline is very different - Expect subcontinent flights which can make you go ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH - "I am WANTTTTINNGGGG THE CHICKAAAANNN" :shock: - Don't laugh - Once, I even had a passenger actually put her baby in the overhead stowage BIN!!!!! The only reassurance is that the crew are generally helpful and the politics is much lesser than the counterparts as it's diverse - nationalities stick together like the Thai, Filipino, Indian crew - they do hover together. As expected, there will be some fake people, just play along with it.

Good luck!

P.S. - It's either you have what they are looking for or you don't - We certainly don't need more fakers on board who have personality that are rehearsed - Plenty already! :shock: :shock:

P.P.S - Doesn't mean if you're crew with other airlines = Success with Emirates. A fresh virgin is much better than a screwed up :mad: Hahaha :)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 2:06 pm

Once again thank you for an excellent post toygirl, you have underlined a hint I have so often vainly tried to drop so often this board. English is one of if not the very first skills an international airline looks for. I am not saying this out of nastiness, those who bother to think and research will find it only too obvious.

The trouble is when you get into bad habits (very easy nowadays with sms language and too much use of Singlish) they are very hard to break. Although it seems somewhat snobbish applicants need to practice speaking proper English, not so difficult in Singapore where you have a large expatriate community. For those who can be bothered I wish you well.

Plavt.

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 3:32 pm

Yes, we do have girls who failed the English test conducted after the 1st round of Day 2 - Very shocking personally as I would think that most candidates would have a reasonable GCE N or O level pass, I think even budget airlines require a pass at GCE N (that's CSE (the really old CSE in the 1980s back in UK for Plavt if you have no idea what I'm talking about for our British lads! :p)

If you fail the English test (you know who you are) - SHAME ON YOU! Even Eastern European candidates who take EFL at home can pass it during their selection days.

Having an accent is fine, but making up words that are rudimentary or basically undecipherable by Recruitment Officers who are not Singaporean make them go "What the freak is this girl talking"

Plus, please think of the recruitment, being stuck on Economy and travelling having to conduct recruitment exhausted and then selection, heading back to Dubai to do more work isn't great, so be your best, be professional and demonstrate you are what they are looking for. To fake your way through will result in you being very unhappy once you are recruited or found out eventually.

You'll find some grammar questions, a composition question and for jesus sake, write neatly. The Recruitment Officers aren't going to lick your toes to beg you to join them. It's the other way around.

Gosh, I sound some kind of Agony Aunt - ala Cabin crew style. Anyhow, good luck for Emirates.

missyvirgo

Re: Questions About Emirates Interview on the 26th August 20

Post by missyvirgo » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 7:12 pm

Hi,

Did u go for the interview on 26 Aug 2006? Actually i apply online & i thought they will give me a call for the interview but after waiting for a week plus i did not recive any phone call from the Emirates so i thought i was not selected for the interview until i read this forum stated that it's a walk in interview. Hope to tag along with u for the next interview but i know will be that soon.

Anyone, have any ideas when is the next interview?
Maverick00 wrote:Hey all,
Well,was thinking abt applying with Emirates for their FA position interview on the 26th August 2006.But firstly,have got a couple of questions.....If some kind soul could enlighten me.....Would be splendid.

-Is it a MUST to register online in their website first?

-I've done my application,but didnt have any pics attached,simply cos i didnt have any... :P , would tat be a probably?

-Can i just instead walk in on the 26th Aug 2006,with all necessary documents they require for the interview or its a must for me to register online their website and await for them to call or send me a mail to attend the interview?

-And lastly,is the interview on the 26th August only for females or can males attend too?

Hope to be enlighted soon....And would be glad to tag along with anyone whose going for the interview.... Cheers Ppl.... :lol:

flawa

Post by flawa » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 8:21 pm

Good luck to you.

I am mOre than agree with Toygirl. The elimination is very2 high, during my batch in the July recruitment, out of 63 who got thru the preliminary round, only less than 10 passed the final intv. I have a rough estimation here:

Selection by SSAtlantic for preliminary round : 63 out of 100++
1st round (Proceed to round 2): 40 out of 63
2nd round (Proceed to round 3 ) :25 out of 40
3rd round (Proceed to round 4): 20 out of 40
4th round ( Proceed to round 5): 13 out of 20
5th round (Psychometric Test) : No elimination
Final intv : Around 7 - 8 out of 13 girls got the job.

flawa

Post by flawa » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 8:36 pm

toygirl wrote:Make sure you turn up for the briefing session. The local recruiter will basically feed you all the neccessary information on how to act, answer and basically give tips.

Remember this is not some other airline interview. It is a behavioral based interview so it is very difficult to fool the recruitment officers and they are extremely strict as they done it hundreds of times and not like some cabin crew executive who is fresh out of university with a 2nd Uppers at some other airline with very little cabin crew experience. Both will have been trained in psychometrics and one will be taking notes as well while the other observes.

Those who manage to fool the Recruitment Officers (LOL) - Will regret it when they reach DXB and realise that this job isn't for them.

Usually 2 group rounds will commence. It is very difficult to fake it through because remember the Recruitment Officers are actually ex-cabin crew themselves and can detect between "Fake" to sincere. They will observe how you interact with each other as you solve a task, play a game, etc - Subconsciously you may do things that you will be told doing the briefing not to do.

If you can't reach 212cm, you will be asked to leave - Emirates will recheck this again to ensure they don't waste their time. English test will be given and some actually fail it! - Yes, those D7, E8 Singlish language girls - Start practicing. It's shocking actually, but after hearing some girls speak - I do shudder myself - Drop the "eh" "ahhhh" " is it???" Can you imagine in flight you go "Sir, would you like coffee or tea ahhhh?? Sugar is it?" The best one I start giggling is when I hear girls go "Can????, can la!"

A psychometric cum intellectual ability test will be given - Don't worry, they aren't looking for geniuses but they can tell very quickly if you're putting up an act as the test actually can detect that!

1-1 will be held in Sass Atlantic's office where both Recruitment Officers where there is 2 on 1 interview and they will ask questions - One will take notes as you speak and observe every intricate detail.

Giggle, whatever you do - Don't try the brainless "I want to travel routine" or "I heard Dubai is hot" routine :)

It's very select that will make it through. Don't bother approaching them to ask why you flunked - I know some SQ or MI rejects actually do that or even argue - If you do this at Emirates interview, you won't be interviewing there for a loooooooonng time.

It does not mean if you pass through all the interviews that is it - Your file goes back to Dubai where 3-5 other levels review it - a Executive, a Manager, and then the CEO at times to ensure the quality is maintained! I am not kidding!

Anyway, this is the most selective interview process I know of - Simple reason: SOOO MANY PEOPLE APPLY. And some even fly overseas to attend this interview!

I really want to stress this - You will be away from your boyfriend and family and in a completely new world and culture. Let your family know in advance so that they know what happens. Make sure you want this because I am sorry to say this, I do not have any compassion for girls who waste interviewing time and resources depriving others who genuinely can pursue this.

Another note - The passenger profile for this airline is very different - Expect subcontinent flights which can make you go ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH - "I am WANTTTTINNGGGG THE CHICKAAAANNN" :shock: - Don't laugh - Once, I even had a passenger actually put her baby in the overhead stowage BIN!!!!! The only reassurance is that the crew are generally helpful and the politics is much lesser than the counterparts as it's diverse - nationalities stick together like the Thai, Filipino, Indian crew - they do hover together. As expected, there will be some fake people, just play along with it.

Good luck!

P.S. - It's either you have what they are looking for or you don't - We certainly don't need more fakers on board who have personality that are rehearsed - Plenty already! :shock: :shock:

P.P.S - Doesn't mean if you're crew with other airlines = Success with Emirates. A fresh virgin is much better than a screwed up :mad: Hahaha :)
Hi Toygirl,

well said! Those who really want this job, better jot down every single point written here, her tips are very2 accurate and 99% useful (1% wld depend on ur luck) Either you make it or break it! Sometimes I really wish some ote airline will adapt on how Emirates does their selection for cabin crews. It is very2 meticulous whereby every aspect of the candidate is tested on to make sure she is the right one in terms of the written and personality test, grp discussion and grooming. I was shocked to learn that even those who passed the final intv, their photographs will be sent out to Dubai where the higher authorities will make their decision based on all the questions answered during the final intv and the photographs. Be prepared that when you are answering the pychometric test, answer them honestly cause if you don't, the 2 ladies will know whether you're faking it or not.

Meanwhile, just be yourself. No need to pretend, this is purely behavioral based interview as mentioned by toygirl thus be natural, do talk confidently only when necessary, dont talk too much or too little. Speak fluent english with sincerity and never ever disagree with others in the grp discussions cause it reflects that you dont work well in a team. They are looking for crews who a team player, most imptly listen to others and proactive. Lastly, dont be late for every sngle round cause if you do, you're jeopardising your chances. Some tips!

P.S: Toygirl, are you currently flying with Emirates?

flawa

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Mon, 28 Aug 2006 9:02 pm

Flava - LOL, I worked locally and internationally for 7 years for 3 carriers. 1 was awful, 1 was great and 1 was abysmal. Don't need people flooding my private messages with ridiculous queries like "Should I bun up my hair" - "Am I too fat" :) I got enough of those so far in my mail! :shock: Anyhow for those of you who don't know how to dress for an interview, the briefing session will tell you how to (Gosh, if you can't even dress or present yourself for an interview, I don't know how you're going to work in frontline!).

Anyhow, I came back to Singapore and I really regret it!. I'm stuck in a desk bound job and the moment people know I was ex-crew, they think "She must be blonde bimbo with zero brains"

Actually very few airlines conduct interviews using the recruitment techniques which Emirates practices, it really simple why - the logistics, the cost and budgets, plus it also takes training because the recruiters (all of which are ex-cabin crew at supervisory level before) to teach them psychometrics and coaching them how to identify gems from crap, which trust me - are plenty! :shock:

I bet with you genuine girls who internally have these attributes will succeed - those who fake it will be discovered - after all, we are "actresses" on board sometimes. It's not like another airline which they "Try" to mould you - in this airline, you're already a gem, they just going to polish you while you're training.

Seriously, good luck to all. Most of you won't make it (that's fact - Sorry not going to sugar coat anyone's egos), but for those who do, be prepared to spend a bomb on medicals, vaccinations and also pap smears, dental to ensure you are in good condition. Candidates will be rejected if something weird appears on their medical and the licence cannot be granted.

The ability is think is very much valued - If you think you're going to wing it by looking great for Emirates and have zero brain cells, I give you the max - Round 1 of Day 2 and you'll be out.

Success is sweet, but remember that it's a physically tiring job and gosh, I hate jetlag and feeling sick from backache.

lindyhoppe
Regular
Regular

Post by lindyhoppe » Tue, 29 Aug 2006 4:19 pm

toygirl wrote:If you can't reach 212cm, you will be asked to leave - Emirates will recheck this again to ensure they don't waste their time.
Hello all,

I went for the Emirates interview last Saturday and I didn't get through the first round of discussion. While I won't debate on their evaluations of my performance I'd like to add that I wasn't able to reach the mark on the wall. It is supposed to be 212cm, but in order to ensure I meet their stipulated requirements beforehand I have tried to reach for that height at home successfully, with about half a finger above the line. Today I visited a clinic and got the nurse to do me an extra favour. She helped me measure about 216cm, the maximum height that I was able to touch on tiptoes. As such... I'm having doubts if the mark pasted on the wall was indeed only 212cm.

Therefore girls, if you are intending to go for the next Emirates recruitment, do try to stretch further than 212cm (as high up as possible!) as you can't be sure whether there could be a higher standard (literally heh) or error! Start doing stretching exercises from now on if you aren't sure if you could reach it confidently. My height is 1.58m by the way.

lindyhoppe

flawa

Post by flawa » Tue, 29 Aug 2006 9:38 pm

toygirl wrote:Therefore girls, if you are intending to go for the next Emirates recruitment, do try to stretch further than 212cm (as high up as possible!) as you can't be sure whether there could be a higher standard (literally heh) or error! Start doing stretching exercises from now on if you aren't sure if you could reach it confidently. My height is 1.58m by the way.

lindyhoppe

HI lindyhoppe,

yes I definitely agree wit u. Actually during the briefing Andrew (guy from SSAtlantic) will emphasize very much on pushing urself to stretch beyond the mark which means don't aim to reach for 212cm but aim higher to push urself above the mark ( above the poster on the wall) cause you are allowed to tip toe so no reason why you cant make it.

ester

Emirates Interview- 31 March 07

Post by ester » Sat, 24 Mar 2007 1:51 pm

Hi flawa and toygirl,

Tnxs for the invaluable input. I am currently working as a data analyst, I have minimal customer service experience(except for some sales experience that I have gained during school vacation), does that mean that my chances of being selected or even short-listed are potentially lower than others?

I would also like to know whether the second and the subsequent rounds of interviews are going to be carried out on the same day? What are some of the questions the interviewers might ask?

Thanks a million,
Ester

flyaway

Re: Emirates Interview- 31 March 07

Post by flyaway » Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:57 pm

ester wrote:Hi flawa and toygirl,

Tnxs for the invaluable input. I am currently working as a data analyst, I have minimal customer service experience(except for some sales experience that I have gained during school vacation), does that mean that my chances of being selected or even short-listed are potentially lower than others?

I would also like to know whether the second and the subsequent rounds of interviews are going to be carried out on the same day? What are some of the questions the interviewers might ask?

Thanks a million,
Ester
Hey Ester :) It shouldn't matter which industry or position you come from cos from what I've seen, they select girls based on qualities as listed by Toygirl and Flawa. You do not have lesser chance than other candidates though a few with Customer Service experience may also meet their requisites.

The second round you refer to is Assessment Day, this usually takes place about 2 weeks after the Open Day (this Saturday). Interviewers will ask you questions during your 2-1 Final Interview and these normally revolves around your current job or work experience.

Go for it!