Singapore Expats

What Chance the Premiership New Boys

For all the football fans out there.
Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

What Chance the Premiership New Boys

Post by Rich D » Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:23 pm

Before I start I should own up to being a Watford fan, having a preference for all London clubs, hating Yankchester United with a dislike of all midlands clubs for no particular reason. Flame me all you will, these feelings are mostly irrational except for the Watford bit which is where my UK base is and I have spent many an hour on the terraces not always supporting the team in a positive way and they are therefore not likely to change.

So, what chance do Reading, Sheffield United and Watford have of being outside spots 18, 19 & 20 next May? Starting with the Hornets most people know by now that Aidy Boothroyd's stated aim is to take us into Europe (stop sniggering at the back there) next season. Laughable? Maybe but even the Watford board could barely disguise their surprise when he announced he would get them promotion last term after steering us out of trouble to 19th place in 2005 following the departure of Ray Lewington.

There is a Lord Moneybags in the boardroom but without splashing out they have acquired some experienced and promising players. In my opinion the best acquisition being Chris Powell, aging yes but with the experience of keeping a clear head while the great and the fancy dans are running at the defence from here, there and everywhere. Perhaps not a Gravesen or de Zeeuw who have done that job brilliantly in the past but I've always thought that the defence/deep midfield is the best place to start when you are looking at survival.

Entry to Europe could be via the League Cup (or whatever they call it these days) when the Fergies and Mourinhos are giving their players a night off to count their money. I'll settle for 18th place and 38 points like Villa last season.

Reading? Not seen them in the market much but if their Chairman has enough mullah to build a stadium and name it after himself then there must be something to spend on the team. They have a good reputation on the pitch rather like West Ham last year and look what they managed. They have avoided all the bigger names for their first 6 games so they have a good chance of building up a head of steam going into the winter.

As the old joke goes what's the difference between Neil Warnock and God? God doesn't think he is Neil Warnock but while he isn't a deity he did see Cloughie close up from Notts County (their training grounds are right next to each other) and he is very much like the old dipso who he so admires. I reckon he could make enough of a Sheff Utd silk purse out of a sows ear to hang on and if nothing else he'll be good value on the post match interviews. After a visit to Old Trafford on 9th April he will have his destiny in his own hands against West Ham, Charlton, Watford, Villa and Wigan with the 1st, 3rd and last of those games at home.

So what do others think? I'm up for a bit of banter, let's not take it too seriously though. After all its only a billion pound business, oops, I mean a game!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

SpursMad

Post by SpursMad » Wed, 23 Aug 2006 3:05 pm

gd result for you boys yest! hammers are a good side though not too sure why they decided to change formation though! king might well score a few goals this year, though not as many as last season me thinks!

Important 3 points for us after our abysmal start

di you go out to watch the watford game or you have espn at home? Still yet to find a bar thats shows it, though admittedly i was extremely drunk last night by the time it was 3am! Should have followed your tactics and gone to bed early - oh well live and learn!

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Rich D » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 9:19 pm

A point’s a point but I was counting on 3 at home against West Ham. Next game is against Man Utd so expecting nothing from that even though its at home. Spurs back to winning ways, I’m not surprised as I expect Martin Jol put the wind up a few of them after Saturday. I reckon he could stare me out through the tv screen if he wanted to!

I watched at home. I don’t think you will find anywhere screening evening league games here. And if you do you’ll be rat-arsed by kick off time, as I believe you have discovered. No, it’s a cup of tea and bed in the spare room as early as possible for me, the alarm clock goes off and I can just about muster the energy to find the remote on the bedside table to turn the tv on. I normally wake up about 15 minutes into the match – a bit like Watford really.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

SpursMad

Post by SpursMad » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 3:37 pm

lol - yeh watford do unfortunately for you! spurs apart from against the blades usually wake up 15 mins from end! Think davids probably scared a few of the players into winning as well!

hopefully you injure a few of utds players for us and we have em after you! at least no rooney and no scholes, although giggs looks 25 again and the winker an saha r on fire