Singapore Expats Forum

Working condition in wafer fabs in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

lonelysin

Working condition in wafer fabs in Singapore

Postby lonelysin » Fri, 18 Aug 2006 7:49 am

Hi there,

Anyone know the working environment and condition of the wafer fabs in Singapore such as Chartered Semiconductor, Tech Semiconductor, UMC, SSMC and etc?

Anyone has experience before working in those fabs? Is it hard, stressful and etc?

Also, what about the salary offered by the fabs in Singapore? Basically which do offer higher and better package in terms of benefits and remuneration?

Comments and feedback welcome. Thank you.

LS

lonelysin

Postby lonelysin » Mon, 21 Aug 2006 9:04 am

Not a single person here can give me some feedback or shed some ideas?

renter
Chatter
Chatter

Postby renter » Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:49 am

I've been in such a company before, but I seldom spend much time in the fab environment.

It will depend on whether you are the engineer or the operator. If you are the engineer, your pay will definitely at the engineer's level, and you don't work in the fab for all 8 hours of the day.
As an operator, you probably will be at the fab for almost all hours. It is noisy, smelly due to the chemical gas, boring. I think it is hazardous for health working in such an environment for long time.

after all, it is a fabrication plant, a plant. what do you expect? people are ruder, and if you are an engineer, you will be on call 24 hours.