Singapore Expats Forum

Travel To Russia

Weekly meetup of WNDC - Wednesday Night Drinking Club
moNkaD8

Travel To Russia

Postby moNkaD8 » Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:22 am

Please help.
Somebody travelled across Russia? How There?
I Am going to go here, advise, what route is better for choosing? Of what agency to take advantage? On the internet it is a lot of sites offering these services (gotorussia.com, russia-travel.com, 3btours.com, russia.com, etc.), but it were would be desirable to hear opinion of people which already there.
Thanks

deb96
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Travel To Russia

Postby deb96 » Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:08 am

moNkaD8 wrote:Please help.
I Am going to go here, advise, what route is better for choosing? Of what agency to take advantage? On the internet it is a lot of sites offering these services (gotorussia.com, russia-travel.com, 3btours.com, russia.com, etc.), but it were would be desirable to hear opinion of people which already there.
Thanks

Moving around Moscow city will not be a difficult but best you can read their language.
I was there for 2 weeks but i am lucky as I have a local freind there to bring me around.
Have a good trip! I am sure you will like the place like I have enjoyed!

Vodkashot

Re: Travel To Russia

Postby Vodkashot » Sat, 02 Sep 2006 8:45 am

moNkaD8 wrote:Please help.
Thanks

"Travel ACROSS Russia" or "travel to Russia"?
Travel across Russia is not a good idea, especially if you are going to use TransSib Railway.
I believe it is not dificult to learn how to read Russian so you'll be able to read the names of the streets etc.

Mike75

Postby Mike75 » Thu, 26 Oct 2006 4:44 pm

Travelling to Russia is easy, across Russia with arailway is a once-in-alifetime adventure experience but not a quick or comfortable way to move around.

I would not consider Russian language as easy to learn. Everyone knows they have their own alphabet so you'll have a tough time if you are not used to it, unless you are an Einstein of course.

Mike

Vodkashot

Postby Vodkashot » Thu, 01 Feb 2007 5:27 pm

Well, about Trans-Siberian Railway...
I've changed my mind after I've seen it during my last trip to Russia.
Actually it is quite comfortable, especially "Nostalgie" cars with cabins, which were designed in 1956 to host "those who are a bit more equal". Before I used to travel only in the trains for "equal" :)
But it is stll quite expensive - it can cost easily from 6k to 16k Sing per person for 15 days...Beijing to Moscow thru Mongolia (or v.v.)
My company is selling such trips btw :)