Singapore Expats Forum

Job for spouse?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

Federal1998
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed, 09 Aug 2006

Job for spouse?

Postby Federal1998 » Thu, 10 Aug 2006 8:16 pm

Hello everybody!

My wife was wondering about a job in Singapore as a HairStylist? Does any one know if she could get a job over there? How many Hair Salons are there in Singapore? What is the process as for as geting a new license and things like that?

Please help!

Thank you very much!

Have a great day everyone!

Federal1998

hillview2006
Regular
Regular
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun, 16 Jul 2006
Location: singapore

Postby hillview2006 » Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:26 pm

Hi Federal1998 :lol: Although Singapore is a tiny little island you can find plenty.. of Hair Salons in here. many many lar..

Federal1998
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed, 09 Aug 2006

Postby Federal1998 » Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:46 pm

Thank you for the respond!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11434
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 11 Aug 2006 6:53 am

It is very unlikely. There are lots of Singaporeans that can be hair stylists. MOM grants employment only if it can be demonstrated that talent cannot be found locally.

Federal1998
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed, 09 Aug 2006

Postby Federal1998 » Fri, 11 Aug 2006 9:24 pm

Solon,

Thank you very much!

What if she open her own salon? Would that be impossible?

Thank you!

hillview2006
Regular
Regular
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun, 16 Jul 2006
Location: singapore

Postby hillview2006 » Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:12 am

Oh.. ya, it's possible. I have a thai girlfriend open her salon in singapore 5 yrs back and sold it when her hubby gor posted to Sydney. I'm also running my own homebase bussines here > good luck to your wife!

Federal1998
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed, 09 Aug 2006

Postby Federal1998 » Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:06 pm

Thank you very much for the invaluable information!

I hope the process for opening a Hair Salon is not too complex. Does anyone know the steps on the endeavor?

Federal1998

uk-kiwi
Regular
Regular
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu, 22 Sep 2005
Location: singapore

Postby uk-kiwi » Wed, 16 Aug 2006 5:11 pm

Federal - is your wife a westerner, ie. lots of experience with western hair, specifically blonde? i can't help you with your specific questions but my hairdresser is a kiwi lady who runs her own salon from her home and because of the lack of local salons that have true experience with blonde hair, she is more often than not really run off her feet. and western expats generally want western hairdressers from the amount of posts i've seen on these boards asking for such services! don't worry about the drama of setting up a small business. loads of expat women do that here as it's very easy - sorry i can't be more specific!

Federal1998
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed, 09 Aug 2006

Postby Federal1998 » Wed, 16 Aug 2006 7:44 pm

Hello and thank you for the reply!

Yes, 90% of her current clients have blonde hair or want to have blonde hair via highlights. The other 10% have other hair colors. I guess I was hoping that she could provide her services to expat families.

Thank you for asking the question! I guess their's still a little hope for her to land a job for the fact that her experience is unique.

Federal


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest