Singapore Expats

Speaking From Experience...

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Shreked
Regular
Regular

Speaking From Experience...

Post by Shreked » Thu, 10 Aug 2006 3:54 pm

Well, I post this new thread for aspiring FAs to have a deeper knowledge of a role as a FA(not just coffee,tea or me) and to be mentally and physically prepared working in this line.

Any experienced FAs willing to share?
I'm Evolving!
My Wings are growing!!!

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Post by sharkie8480 » Wed, 23 Aug 2006 7:39 pm

what do you want to know? =p It is not an easy job, very tiring and lonely. Permanent Jetlag, skin gets worse etc

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Wed, 23 Aug 2006 8:44 pm

bitchy bitchy bitchy bastards - urgh - had enough from my previous airline. urgh urgh - fake smiles, fake personality!!! - some are genuinely nice, but some are just

turnover is high - some ppl come in for all the wrong reasons

my first few months of flying i cried every flight before and after and during layovers - why? - bitches on board. some are just insecure arseholes who only have this job to cling on because they have zero future elsewhere and thus view competition like war!

glamour? - hahahahahaha
$$$ ? - short term
career development - when i went back to an office, hr only thought i could do coffee/tea or me routine - didn't matter i had a 1st class honours - to them i was just a coffee tea hostie.
happiness - depends on individuals
ill health - jet lag - grumpy pax, freak up colleagues, freak up pilots

weird scheduling, standbys - don't get me started. i think for me the ppl that are work with is crucial, unfortunately my last airline was just a

i remember having to carry balls for my first yr as a junior - basically swallow your pride. some bitches and old freak up arseholes love to see you screw up and then report to office and watch you self destruct.

it's very political - if you can swallow your pride, know how to carry balls well, smiling and how to counter backstabbing, you'll survive. - gosh i sound so gloomy.

perks - $, layovers (most of the time you're too exhausted), good friends (if you can find them) - i can't think of anything else.

i'm back to an office job now - but still wondering whether it's wise to get back up the skies.

hehehe - come with an open mind! you'll survive (or not) hahaha
Last edited by toygirl on Thu, 24 Aug 2006 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aquagal
Regular
Regular

Post by Aquagal » Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:10 pm

toygirl wrote:bitchy bitchy bitchy bastards - urgh - had enough from my previous airline. urgh urgh - fake smiles, fake personality!!! - some are genuinely nice, but some are just :mad:

my first few months of flying i cried every flight before and after and during layovers - why? - bitches on board. some are just insecure arseholes who only have this job to cling on because they have zero future elsewhere and thus view competition like war!

glamour? - hahahahahaha
$$$ ? - short term
career development - :x when i went back to an office, hr only thought i could do coffee/tea or me routine - didn't matter i had a 1st class honours - to them i was just a coffee tea hostie.

weird scheduling, standbys - don't get me started. i think for me the ppl that are work with is crucial, unfortunately my last airline was just a :mad: :mad: :mad:

i remember having to carry balls for my first yr as a junior - basically swallow your pride. some bitches and old freak up arseholes love to see you screw up and then report to office and watch you self destruct.

it's very political - if you can swallow your pride, know how to carry balls well, smiling and how to counter backstabbing, you'll survive. - gosh i sound so gloomy.

perks - $, layovers (most of the time you're too exhausted), good friends (if you can find them) - i can't think of anything else.

i'm back to an office job now - but still wondering whether it's wise to get back up the skies.

hehehe - come with an open mind! you'll survive (or not) hahaha :P

hi.. OMG!!! Is it dat political up in e skies? many people, including myself, perceive it as a GLAMOUR job... what u said freaked me out... having second thoughts going to the SIA interview on sunday!? care to reveal which particular airline u worked for? Is it a prestigious one? *Curious* :?

Husky Lover

Post by Husky Lover » Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:23 pm

oh it sounds bad..i had aslo heard abt the politicals stuffs before..din expect its tat bad... :o so did u complete the bond?

ntyj
Regular
Regular

Post by ntyj » Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:35 pm

Aquagal wrote:
toygirl wrote:bitchy bitchy bitchy bastards - urgh - had enough from my previous airline. urgh urgh - fake smiles, fake personality!!! - some are genuinely nice, but some are just :mad:

glamour? - hahahahahaha
$$$ ? - short term
career development - :x when i went back to an office, hr only thought i could do coffee/tea or me routine - didn't matter i had a 1st class honours - to them i was just a coffee tea hostie.

weird scheduling, standbys - don't get me started. i think for me the ppl that are work with is crucial, unfortunately my last airline was just a :mad: :mad: :mad:

hehehe - come with an open mind! you'll survive (or not) hahaha :P

hi.. OMG!!! Is it dat political up in e skies? many people, including myself, perceive it as a GLAMOUR job... what u said freaked me out... having second thoughts going to the SIA interview on sunday!? care to reveal which particular airline u worked for? Is it a prestigious one? *Curious* :?
have ur own discretion babe.
in the first place, please don join for the wrong reason.
we are going to be a waitress..jus a little more high class.
it may be glamourous to be well groomed and all...but please please...
this is a job where u need to cater to needs of all passengers....we are not up there to sashay ard..

politics are inevitable, maybe airline career would have more...
but is that suppose to be a factor that stops u from pursuing? if u cant even counter it, will u be adaptable ard?

why wouldnt u look at the job in a different perspective?
there are certainly nice people and colleagues ard as well...take the time up there to serve ppl well, when passengers are happy, we feel satisfied too, wouldnt we?
in return, our airline will constantly build a better image for our great service too.
we will also have the opportunities to travel to so many countries as well as compared to those who are not FAs, so many more things to learn rather than cooping urself in singapore?

i value toygirl's opinions, for they are factors that we can keep it in mind for the most disastrous things that can happpen in this career..
however please do not step back becos of the politics, if u cant even manage such issues, wouldnt it be the same as well joining any other organisations?
Politics are everywhere, it all depends on how u view and handle it.

maybe it will be better for u to seek opinions from FAs who are already flying for yrs, let them provide u with the pros and cons.

if u can ask such questions, im assuming u have not prepared urself well before joining..shouldnt u read up more about this career before going for the interview? rather than thinking its glam to be a FA.

Beneath all, this interviewer once reminded us to be prepared.....though FAs are swans, we are swans that are "waddling" hard.

Think wise thoroughly before joining then.

siu kee

Post by siu kee » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:26 am

i totally agree with ntyj.Though i've not been before,just going for the interview this sat,but i think we need to go in with the right attitude,and not solely because it's glam.I think aquagirl went into that line with the right attitude too,just tt it turns out pretty bad for her.

In any case,all the best to whoever is going for the interview this weekend :)

siu kee

Post by siu kee » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:33 am

sorry shd be toygirl instead of aquagirl

pinkpeace7

Post by pinkpeace7 » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:45 am

Totally agrees with Ntyj! Anyone whom wish to become a FA ought to know what you will be facing. Everybody refer FA as a high-class waitress, and yet why is there still hundreds of ppl turing up for interviews hoping they can become one? You definitely need to have a passion for serving. Being in a customer svc line is ain't an easy job, you need to put on a great smile even if your mood sux big time. I personally think that FA isn't the most glamourous job, but I wish to travel around the world to absorb as much as I can. And to dive around the world. ^_^

ntyj
Regular
Regular

Post by ntyj » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 1:58 pm

pinkpeace7 wrote:Totally agrees with Ntyj! Anyone whom wish to become a FA ought to know what you will be facing. Everybody refer FA as a high-class waitress, and yet why is there still hundreds of ppl turing up for interviews hoping they can become one? You definitely need to have a passion for serving. Being in a customer svc line is ain't an easy job, you need to put on a great smile even if your mood sux big time. I personally think that FA isn't the most glamourous job, but I wish to travel around the world to absorb as much as I can. And to dive around the world. ^_^
siu kee wrote:i totally agree with ntyj.Though i've not been before,just going for the interview this sat,but i think we need to go in with the right attitude,and not solely because it's glam.I think aquagirl went into that line with the right attitude too,just tt it turns out pretty bad for her.

In any case,all the best to whoever is going for the interview this weekend
thanks girls for supporting, and yesh,
we need to have the passion for serving and put on the best smile even if we are not happy abt certain things =/
in anyway...gd luck to those who are trying on sat and sun..
have enough rest...be at ur best.. :) [/quote]

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 4:19 pm

Oh, but the Singapore Girl sure seems glamourous...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 4:27 pm

Oh dear :) You make me grin with your post. Let me guess, you're new to the industry right or a fresh graduate and I think you are a guy? Enthusiasm is always good - trust me, you'll be meeting lots of fake smiles around with enthusiasm you'll do fine.

Having worked with 3 airlines so far, I was also like that, many of us came in with full of enthusiam, energy and drive, but you have to remember that it's going to be completely different from what you actually perceive the job to actually be!

I really discourage people who are not really keen or have any real waitress or F & B experience to apply. You have to remember that this job isn't glamour - Blame it on all the media hype.

This job is political - Simple reason, most cabin crew have too much free time during layovers and gossip spread fast - Really really fast. For example, if you offended someone unintentionally - you end up labelled, word spreads quickly and presto, you're "marked". I know of cases where someone didn't like a particular crew and they waited for her to make a major mistake and BOOM!

To be frank, this job is basically a waitress - high class to a certain extent, with some safety training, some F & B training, PR, deportment, but don't think it's a "PROFESSIONAL" career. Please. If you have like a solid credentials, you are probably going to regret it sooner or later.

Politics for the cabin crew line is different from the office. You'll know what I mean when you start flying. You swallow your pride fast. I swallowed it quickly. You have to and you'll survive.

This job isn't about "travelling" - This is the number one most passe answer we hear from candidates - "I want to travel" - LOL, I remember one recruitment officer slammed with "You could buy a ticket and travel for the same thing right" - Some layvoers are short, you reach destination,exhausted and you sleep like crazy, wake up and then new flight - depends on the airline. You may get a chance to sightsee and stuff.

Been flying with 3 airlines so basically, it's the same, it's more intense in certain airlines - depends on the culture. Some airlines tend to be more political as a lot of bitches want to be "Noticed" as I'm the best!

Obviously, if you screw up big time don't expect people to come to your rescue. Don't think "Ooooh, I'm new" - Some will help you, some will let you die. You swallow your pride, cry if you have to and do it.

But there are positives - I have good friends from a very select crowd - Most are fake plastic bitches, I learned how to walk properly and graceful, smile on cue and laugh on cue at every stupid remark, you basically transform into a "Swan". It's an experience, you will change - trust me!

Good luck to everyone!

ntyj
Regular
Regular

Post by ntyj » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 4:44 pm

toygirl wrote:Oh dear :) You make me grin with your post. Let me guess, you're new to the industry right or a fresh graduate and I think you are a guy? Enthusiasm is always good - trust me, you'll be meeting lots of fake smiles around with enthusiasm you'll do fine.

Having worked with 3 airlines so far, I was also like that, many of us came in with full of enthusiam, energy and drive, but you have to remember that it's going to be completely different from what you actually perceive the job to actually be!

I really discourage people who are not really keen or have any real waitress or F & B experience to apply. You have to remember that this job isn't glamour - Blame it on all the media hype.

This job is political - Simple reason, most cabin crew have too much free time during layovers and gossip spread fast - Really really fast. For example, if you offended someone unintentionally - you end up labelled, word spreads quickly and presto, you're "marked". I know of cases where someone didn't like a particular crew and they waited for her to make a major mistake and BOOM!

To be frank, this job is basically a waitress - high class to a certain extent, with some safety training, some F & B training, PR, deportment, but don't think it's a "PROFESSIONAL" career. Please. If you have like a solid credentials, you are probably going to regret it sooner or later.

Politics for the cabin crew line is different from the office. You'll know what I mean when you start flying. You swallow your pride fast. I swallowed it quickly. You have to and you'll survive.

This job isn't about "travelling" - This is the number one most passe answer we hear from candidates - "I want to travel" - LOL, I remember one recruitment officer slammed with "You could buy a ticket and travel for the same thing right" - Some layvoers are short, you reach destination,exhausted and you sleep like crazy, wake up and then new flight - depends on the airline. You may get a chance to sightsee and stuff.

Been flying with 3 airlines so basically, it's the same, it's more intense in certain airlines - depends on the culture. Asian airlines tend to be more political as a lot of bitches want to be "Noticed" as I'm the best!

Obviously, if you screw up big time don't expect people to come to your rescue. Don't think "Ooooh, I'm new" - Some will help you, some will let you die. You swallow your pride, cry if you have to and do it.

But there are positives - I have good friends from a very select crowd - Most are fake plastic bitches, I learned how to walk properly and graceful, smile on cue and laugh on cue at every stupid remark, you basically transform into a "Swan". It's an experience, you will change - trust me!

Good luck to everyone!
thank you so much... really appreciate it.
you must have had loads of experiences.. :)

probably, i personally know of FAs who are loyal, know wad to do at the right time, swallow pride, do not mess ard, do not gossip much, very "professional" in their work, seldom screw up for all the years, seldom being aimed by ppl...made gd frds...etc.
hence...her remarks abt SIA has been pretty positive..

i do understd all the politics from the jobs i held previously, rumours spread fast and really fast and once ure labelled, ure jus marked. the feeling sucks. :( but i guess its all abt how you deal with it bah. everyone sure has complaints in wadever we do..

I do discourage ppl who are joining for the wrong purpose as well...if ure not really not prepared for wadever toygirl had mentioned..please consider carefully before joining airline careers.....
life is really that way up there.
Im new, all i can say is...im gonna be bonded, wadever comes il jus have to take it.
lets see wad complaints i will be posting in near future. :P

thanks once again toygirl for giving ur invaluable advices..for those who are already a FA, bear with it, enjoy ur journeys and serve with excellence, don mess with the wrong crowds; bitches* =p you certainly don look glam being that way. :lol:

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by toygirl » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 5:05 pm

let's put it this way, some ppl have it easier than others. there will be nice ppl - trust me, i wouldn't have been able to survive otherwise. but some can be destructive. just be careful not to step on anyone's toes. simple advice. if you step on dynamite, you'll explode :)

i'll tell you what happened to me - one of my crew was really really nice to me - turned out later, he wanted to sleep with me. you get the picture. some "nice" ones are actually arseholes.

trust me - training will be the fun part - usually most get sick after 1 year and bond time over - resignation! think of it like going to university, when you enrol you full of excitment, after you in your final year, you can't wait to get out - same feeling for some.

you'll be fine, just remember, humility goes a long way. however, i have seen innocent cases when the girl is just too quiet and they think something's wrong with you. it's a balance. plus no offence, singaporeans then to be really @!##$!@#@#@# sometimes - i think its the competitve nature perhaps.

and yes - i know of some "lucky" girls who end up marrying the first officer - "lucky" - depends on how you view it.

it's like acting really - i act with my customers, i act with my crew, i act with the pilot. i act. once i finish my flight and head to my hotel, the show is over and i become my real self =) giggle, my girls and i always laugh thinking we all can win oscar sometimes!

now you know why many of the channel 8 artistes are ex-cabin crew! hahahahaha :P

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 5:21 pm

Some good information toygirl and hope those 'starry-eyed' youngsters who can't see any further than wearing the kebaya/uniform and traveling to exotic locations, will for once in their lives stop and think about what such a job involves.

As you rightly say you act with the passengers, pilot and crew some of whom can be a real pain in the a*****. I know many stewardesses are permanently stressed out and spend more time in their hotel room in foreign countries than anywhere else, no surprise in Britain in winter where t temperatures can sometimes be below freezing, New York is even worse.

Like any other job it can bring satisfaction but people need to think and find out before charging off to the interview.

Plavt.