Singapore Expats

pills against malaria???

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
nms1
Regular
Regular

pills against malaria???

Post by nms1 » Mon, 07 Aug 2006 9:21 pm

Hello

I visited my doctor in Germany to get some pills against Malaria. He gave me "Malarone". But they´re very very expensive here.

Can I buy this or similar pills in SG without a prescription???

Thanks, George

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 07 Aug 2006 11:10 pm

No, malaria meds are prescription-only in Singapore, as they darn well should be (they're pretty dangerous in the long run and overuse breeds resistant mosquitoes). And yeah, they're expensive here too, I paid close to $5/pop for Lariam last year.

So the obvious question is, are you sure you need them? You're quite unlikely to get malaria anywhere near Singapore.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

nms1
Regular
Regular

Post by nms1 » Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:25 am

I know that there is no big danger in SG. But I will go to Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, etc. and for this countries it is necessary or not?

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Tue, 08 Aug 2006 7:52 am

I got Malarone from the doctor here when we went to Lombok and, yes, it was very expensive. Not certain it was the Malarone but I was sick as a dog for most of the fortnight; I would never take it again.

Unless you're going trekking in the jungle, I wouldn't bother.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:42 pm

nms1 wrote:I know that there is no big danger in SG. But I will go to Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, etc. and for this countries it is necessary or not?
In a word, no, it's not necessary. Malaria medication is intended for cases where you'll be spending weeks in a high-risk area; not a single major tourist or business destination in Malaysia, Indonesia or Thailand qualifies. (I got my Lariam because I was spending a few weeks in rural Zambia, and my GP was still reluctant to prescribe it!)
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague