Singapore Expats Forum

Anyone else getting this spam?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Thu, 28 Sep 2006 8:38 pm

What I recommend is opening a separate email account , such as gmail and then update your email address in your singapore expats user profile.

Then you can forget about mailbox.. It wont matter if spam arrives, as you wont need to check the mail box unless you forget your Singapore expats password and need to do a password retrieval.

This will leave your normal email address free from receiving spam targetting emails harvested through this site.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Thu, 28 Sep 2006 8:59 pm

that's only useful in hindsight

I already do that as well, but not for this particualr address, which I use for other things

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Thu, 28 Sep 2006 9:12 pm

perhaps - but what I've noticed is that after I changed my address the first time, the spammer directed spam to my new address, which implies they are getting "updates" periodically of the email list from this site.

Of course, I was using disposable addresses via yahoo's "addressguard", so I"m not sure if they were still spamming the old address as I deleted it.

Now with the separate mailbox entirely which I deliberately don't check, I don't care what "marketing" or special offers arrive. They won't reach me.

abbby
Regular
Regular

Bots?

Postby abbby » Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:14 pm

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:02 pm

those are just the IP addresses the spammer uses to do the mail-outs.

Incidently, I checked the phone & fax number suppled in the email with that in the yellow pages and it matches, so I don't believe it's a case of someone pretending to be C & K marketing