Singapore Expats Forum

Anyone else getting this spam?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Anyone else getting this spam?

Postby Splatted » Fri, 04 Aug 2006 9:25 pm

Hi all

I have a unique email address that is only used for Singapore Expats forum registration, and recently (about once a month over last 2 months) I've started to receive spam from C & K Marketing pty ltd

Anyone else getting this garbage?

the originating IP is singaporean:

Dns resolved 203.92.88.56 to host-203-92-88-56.lga.net.sg

I'm baffled as to how they got my email address, as I only use that particular address for the purpose of password retrieval, and I cannot actually email out from it.

Anyway, I've changed my email that I have on record with Singapore Expats, but I'm curious whether I'm a solitary recipient or are others getting this too.

Regards

hillview2006
Regular
Regular

Postby hillview2006 » Mon, 07 Aug 2006 11:01 am

You are not alone. I received one last week. the tittle of the email is dishwasher! but containing other stuff. Coincidentally OR NOT, :???: I did make a search in expat classiffied for a dishwasher last week - only a search and also i did try to put an advert ' looking for a used dishwasher' but did not go thru'.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Wed, 09 Aug 2006 10:54 pm

thanks for confirming

I did email the admin the first time it happened, but they assured me they had no record of this site being hacked or anything like that..

Perhaps Pal, or whoever maintains website can look into how it's happening? I certainly hope our info isn't being sold off.

joelle

Postby joelle » Fri, 11 Aug 2006 4:43 am

I have to admit that I've started to receive more spam. Just when I'd stopped receiving all that rubbish coming through............ :mad:

Eileen Ulik

Postby Eileen Ulik » Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:21 pm

I joined on the 14th & within in 3 days was spamed on the 17th if I keep getting unwanted spam I shall leave, spamming really p....s me of :mad: I get mountains of the stuff without Singapore Expats adding to it :evil:

Dissapointed Eileen

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:08 am

Yeah, I've had 3 from this site in one whole year. and one was inviting me to a free feed. Can you imagine....3 unasked for pieces of mail from this site in a whole year. A commercial site at that! OMG what to do. I get 30 a day from all over the world and 95% get filtered out anyway. Oh woe is me....... I shall spit my dummy. :roll:

At least you know if is comes from admin @this site where it is coming from and who know, like the recent feed, was welcomed by some of us for the thought. Guess you can't every please everybody can you. :-|

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:30 am

I've had one from this site in over a year, and I don't remember it having anything to do with food. Boo hoo hoo, now I'm depressed. I'm not as spammable as you guys... there must be something wrong with me.

Actually I don't think you could even call it spam. All of us clicked on some agreement without reading the fine print when we registered to use this site right? Maybe there was something in that we agreed to. Spam is totally unsolicited.

Eileen Ulik

Postby Eileen Ulik » Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:37 am

Perhaps Im just unlucky being spamed within the first 3 days of joining

Regards Eileen

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:57 am

Well, I've got yet another one from the idiot at C & K marketing, and this is after I changed my registered email address on this site.

Selling our info is very UNPROFESSIONAL, admins.

And Gayatri, from C & K, if you're reading this - you can stick your gift items where the sun don't shine.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pal » Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:21 am

Hi,

We do not / will never disclose members' email addresses to any third party.

Look at the forum navigation links, in a standard installation of phpbb, it usually has a member list page which lists all email address, username of all members. I had removed this page to stop spam bots harvesting emails. I even remove the "Email", "Website" buttons on all posts in every threads for exactly the same reason.

I honestly have no idea how this C K Marketing harvests email addresses.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:55 am

I'm sorry Pal - what I said was uncalled for and I shouldn't have accused you.

But, I'm definately sure my info is being harvested through here somehow, whether its through active coding some people use in their siggies or some vulnerability in this site.

I use addressguard in my yahoo account, and out of the 76 email addresses created through this, each address made to receive different subscriptions and forum memberships, only my singapore expats email address receives spam.

I don't mind recieving mail from the admin's of this site, but it gets up my nose that my email for singapore expats isn't safe from others.

IP from the email header is very similar to last time, in my opening post. This time it's 203.92.88.87. Any way of you checking who logs into singapore expats from this domain?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 28 Sep 2006 1:45 am

Splatted wrote:I'm sorry Pal - what I said was uncalled for and I shouldn't have accused you.

But, I'm definately sure my info is being harvested through here somehow, whether its through active coding some people use in their siggies or some vulnerability in this site.

I use addressguard in my yahoo account, and out of the 76 email addresses created through this, each address made to receive different subscriptions and forum memberships, only my singapore expats email address receives spam.

I don't mind recieving mail from the admin's of this site, but it gets up my nose that my email for singapore expats isn't safe from others.

IP from the email header is very similar to last time, in my opening post. This time it's 203.92.88.87. Any way of you checking who logs into singapore expats from this domain?

I went to see C K Marketing, about emails, i asked to purchase a database, he became quite unfriendly, and wanted to know how I got his address, naturally i said off the internet, because you have been spamming everyone,:D He wasn't happy, when i asked how he got is information, and ushered me out of the office, but i really was only interested in a legal mailing list for a specific group! Kind of foxy asking me all sorts of questions.

He certainly wasn't interested in any marketing, his place was full of corporate gifts, and suitcases. they only market their own stuff, he said.

I suspected he thought i was working undercover!

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Thu, 28 Sep 2006 4:53 am

Well done, ksl - sounds like a guilty conscience.

What exactly are the laws in singapore for "cyber crimes" such as hacking? Are they as severe as overseas...?

Anyone know which department in Singapore would be interested hearing a complaint from me regarding this person & this sort of activity?

At the very least, if he obtained the list by 'honest' means, it will ferret out his source.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Thu, 28 Sep 2006 8:32 pm

I have been getting a huge spike in spam for over a month now, appears to be coming from this site

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pal » Thu, 28 Sep 2006 8:38 pm

EADG wrote:I have been getting a huge spike in spam for over a month now, appears to be coming from this site

?
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property