Singapore Expats Forum

New technique for (trying to) raise service standards

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

New technique for (trying to) raise service standards

Postby Yutenji » Fri, 04 Aug 2006 2:59 pm

During a recent exchange with a company in Singapore, I tried a new twist on one of my usual grumbles, and it actually worked! Excuse the long background, but I need to set some context...

In my all-too-frequent grumbles with companies who've let me down, I often comment that the only way to get companies to actually do what they've said they'll do is to attach some financial pain to non-performance. Many companies are getting better at apologising for cockups (because talk doesn't cost anything), but there is almost no chance that they will ever give -me- reimbursement for time lost, inconvenience etc. etc. Not that I particularly want that. What I -do- want is that they will deliver the service I'm paying for, at the time/place committed.

However, a few days ago I said to the apologising (but unapologetic!) staff "send me a cheque for S$100, payable to the Childrens Cancer Foundation. If you do that, I'll believe that you really are trying to improve".

Imagine my shock when the cheque arrived! Now, if more people do this we can get a bit of momentum going here and perhaps ...
(a) The companies will decide that lifting standards will cost them less than paying 'compensation'
(b) The charities will do a little better
(c) Service standards will rise

Okay, I know I'm being really optimistic here, but there's nothing to lose and all to gain, so please give it a shot.

Cheers

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Postby bushbride » Fri, 04 Aug 2006 8:42 pm

What a brilliant story, Yutenji!

I think that I will givethis a go and see what happens. Anything for a good cause and to change a crap experience into a good deed.
- Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. Da Vinci -