Singapore Expats Forum

AUSTRALIAN LOOKING FOR WORK IN SINGAPORE

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

geets

AUSTRALIAN LOOKING FOR WORK IN SINGAPORE

Postby geets » Wed, 02 Aug 2006 10:13 pm

Hi All!

I am kindly requesting assistance in planning my relocation to Singapore from OZ. I will be coming to Singapore to look for work and would like to know if anyone has had some luck in finding jobs using recruitment/employment agencies based there and would like to share some leads.

My qualifications are a Bachelor’s in Marketing, Management, and Information Systems, from the USA, and a MBA in Finance, and Entrepreneurship from Australia. I am looking at roles in the business side possibly in the consulting industry. In my current role I specialize in providing strategic market research reports, process improvement solutions, and innovative solutions for products and services.

Alternatively, if anyone is aware of employment opportunities in the consulting area within their respective companies or amongst contacts (in the areas of strategic marketing, process analysis, and customer service), please let me know.
Thanks,

Geets

rudy

Postby rudy » Fri, 04 Aug 2006 8:55 pm

Hi, i would think that if you're absolutly positive about relocating here then your best bet would be to contact a relocating firm that can help you find a residence and get setttled in singapore first cause from what i know (anyone correct me if im wrong) is that companies rarely entertain tele-interviews unless you come highly recommended. there are a number of recuitment companies that you can search for online or you can search for companies in singapore related to your line of work and apply directly through them.

i must admit im not an expert on the subject, but just thought i might get the ball rolling since no one gave you a reply.

good luck!

geets

Thank you

Postby geets » Fri, 04 Aug 2006 11:41 pm

thanks for that - yeah i wanted to build off on the Canadian guy who got a lot of replies and advice -

anyhow i know what i must do - i just want to look for better opportunities in singpaore thats all - i'm coming there because the tele interview thing doesn't work - friends have tried without luck. i have travelled thru sing most of my life so its not unfamiliar territory - although in this instance it is.

I am going thru OpenBC now - seems to have people who are really willing to help out.

thanks for the sympathy post. you're appreciated.
Thanks,

Geets

artped2002

Postby artped2002 » Sat, 05 Aug 2006 10:36 am

hi,

just wondering why you want to relocate?

when lots of people from other country wants to move to Oz for better oppurtunities..

regards,
"a man with no destination will never end his journey."

geets

reasons??

Postby geets » Sat, 05 Aug 2006 11:03 am

i've got a million reasons to leave OZ and come back later...

i am overqualified for the work i want to do at this point in my life - the value i can deliver cannot be capitalized in this market - australia has 20mil people - its a very very very small closed market. some of the things that make this country a great place to live and raise a family also make it quite unsuitable for career purposes - unless you want to drive a cab, or work at a 7-11.
Thanks,

Geets

Bonbon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Bonbon » Mon, 07 Aug 2006 1:14 am

Geets, I agree, think Singapore job opportunities are far better, and greater than back in Oz....

I definitely agree with what others say get your CVs sent out to recruitment agents. There are heaps of Aussis here....try all the big multinational companies' websites that you know of...

check out their job finders...

I'm sure you must have some connections via friends, networkings etc...

Good luck! :)

geets

Actually

Postby geets » Mon, 07 Aug 2006 7:59 am

I dont really know anyone in Singapore so thats why i signed up to this thing to get some advice and some assistance - in any case thanks for the vote Bonbon -
Thanks,

Geets

jpatokal

Re: reasons??

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 07 Aug 2006 11:25 pm

geets wrote:i am overqualified for the work i want to do at this point in my life - the value i can deliver cannot be capitalized in this market - australia has 20mil people - its a very very very small closed market.

And you want to shift to a country which has less than a quarter of that?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

geets

opportunity

Postby geets » Tue, 08 Aug 2006 6:59 am

opportunity and acceptance of diversity, make singapore a much bigger place than australia could ever be in even 20 years time....

you need to read in between the lines to get what I'm really saying -

i am here to get help in my coming there not to debate a decision that i have already made.
Thanks,

Geets

dbenne22
Regular
Regular

I know where you're coming from...

Postby dbenne22 » Mon, 21 Aug 2006 9:05 am

Hi Geets,

I am English originally, and have lived in Sydney for 16 years now. I completely understand where you are coming from in terms of the Aussie work ethic / limited opportunities / small mindedness / isolation of this big flat brown land...

Do you happen to reside in Sydney ? Would be good to meet up for a coffee / beer if so...

Cheers - Don.