Singapore Expats Forum

Questions about leaving job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

FunkSoulBrother

Questions about leaving job

Postby FunkSoulBrother » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 4:56 pm

Hi,

I am currently working for a large multinational in singapore. I arrived here in jan 2006, and am considering taking another job opportunity outside singapore. I have a few questions in regards to this, and will appreciate any input on this matter.

1. Given that Singapore does not withhold tax at the time of payment, will i have to pay the govt before i leave? What is the procedure for early payment of these outstanding taxes?

2. I am working on a P1 work permit. How many days am i allowed to stay in singapore after officially resigning from teh firm. I have to give 1 months notice before i can leave, and will this be deducted from the grace period?

3. I am on a housing contract for 2 yrs which i will have to break. Am i allowed to sublease my apartment? If not, has anyone had any experience with breakign alease, and what are the financial implications of such?

Thanks

jpatokal

Re: Questions about leaving job

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 02 Aug 2006 8:52 pm

FunkSoulBrother wrote:1. Given that Singapore does not withhold tax at the time of payment, will i have to pay the govt before i leave? What is the procedure for early payment of these outstanding taxes?

Yes, you'll have to pay up. Your company will usually handle this after you hand in your resignation.

2. I am working on a P1 work permit. How many days am i allowed to stay in singapore after officially resigning from teh firm. I have to give 1 months notice before i can leave, and will this be deducted from the grace period?

15-30 days. The clock starts ticking after your employment pass ends (or is terminated), so if you have a one-month grace period then it'll only start after that.

3. I am on a housing contract for 2 yrs which i will have to break. Am i allowed to sublease my apartment? If not, has anyone had any experience with breakign alease, and what are the financial implications of such?

Your basic choices are to a) be evil and leave without telling your landlord, in which case you lose your deposit and may get sued, or b) find another tenant to take over your lease, which is usually no problem. Also note that 2 year housing contracts for expats usually have a "diplomatic clause" that allows you to bail after one year if you give a few months' notice.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague