Singapore Expats Forum

Amazon touts anti-Israeli views,

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Do you support Amazon censorship?

Yes, censorship in support of the Palestinian people is justified
25%
Yes, Amazon correctly censored the book about violence
13%
No,censorship is unacceptable in principle
13%
No, censorship is not Amazon's business
50%

Total votes: 8

sheila19624

Amazon touts anti-Israeli views,

Postby sheila19624 » Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:29 am

On July 4, Amazon spammed its customers with advertisement of Norman Finkelstein's virulently anti-Semitic book, Image and Reality of the Israeli-Palestine Conflict. On May 30, Amazon similarly advertised Beyond Chutzpah: on the Misuse of Anti-Semitism and the Abuse of History. I have never received any other ad from Amazon.

On April 4, in an unprecedented move, Amazon deleted all reviews of Obadiah Shoher's Samson Blinded: A Machiavellian Perspective on the Middle East Conflict. A few days later, Amazon forced its subsidiary Booksurge to terminate publishing contract with Shoher whose book is now available for download from www.samsonblinded.info . Google earlier banned advertising of the Samson Blinded for "unacceptable content." Shoher, indeed, is pro-Israeli, yet realistic and critical of Israeli policies.

Obadiah Shoher, an anonymous politician, abandons myths and moralizing in favor of realpolitik. He argues for raw efficiency of antiterrorist operations and shedding liberal idealism. Shoher asks inconvenient questions and gives honest answers. Amazon does not like that. Anti-Semitic lampoons by Norman Finkelstein are more to Amazon's taste.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:59 pm

Beyond Chutzpah: on the Misuse of Anti-Semitism and the Abuse of History

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Amazon does not like that. Anti-Semitic lampoons by Norman Finkelstein are more to Amazon's taste.

Yes, it's all a giant conspiracy and you're being oppressed again! Maybe it's time to bomb Amazon's HQ instead of Beirut?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Amazon touts anti-Israeli views,

Postby Bremen » Mon, 31 Jul 2006 9:19 pm

sheila19624 wrote:On July 4, Amazon spammed its customers with advertisement of Norman Finkelstein's virulently anti-Semitic book, Image and Reality of the Israeli-Palestine Conflict. On May 30, Amazon similarly advertised Beyond Chutzpah: on the Misuse of Anti-Semitism and the Abuse of History. I have never received any other ad from Amazon.

On April 4, in an unprecedented move, Amazon deleted all reviews of Obadiah Shoher's Samson Blinded: A Machiavellian Perspective on the Middle East Conflict. A few days later, Amazon forced its subsidiary Booksurge to terminate publishing contract with Shoher whose book is now available for download from www.samsonblinded.info . Google earlier banned advertising of the Samson Blinded for "unacceptable content." Shoher, indeed, is pro-Israeli, yet realistic and critical of Israeli policies.

Obadiah Shoher, an anonymous politician, abandons myths and moralizing in favor of realpolitik. He argues for raw efficiency of antiterrorist operations and shedding liberal idealism. Shoher asks inconvenient questions and gives honest answers. Amazon does not like that. Anti-Semitic lampoons by Norman Finkelstein are more to Amazon's taste.

This is a Singapore Expats Forum, not "Israeli cause forum". As for your statements about amazon:

1. Prove your statements
2. I receive an email from amazon every week with recommendations, and the books you listed were never in them. Chances are, Amazon detected that you live in Israel, or frequently bought/look at books along similar topics, and just made the recommendations.

Seriously, with the huge inventory Amazon has, do you think anyone is going to waste their time by making those recommendations to just you? It's called "automation".

As for all your other mindless rants: Prove it. Where's the link to the data proving that amazon forced publishing contracts to end. WHERE ON EARTH do you even think that Amazon has that much power? They're a glorified bookstore, not a censorship bureau like you may have in Israel.

Personally, I can't wait for a book called: "Qana: The massacre of children".
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 1:29 am

Don't really know much about titles mentioned by OP. From a business perspective, the last thing Amazon wants to do is get embroiled in a political debate. They are afterall an enterprise with a profit motive. Being an American company, political correctness is probably very important to them :D .

I buy books from Amazon all the time. Always receive automated email advertisement based on my buying pattern e.g. children's books, knitting books, books by the same author etc...

Carletta

Postby Carletta » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 4:00 pm

It might be a good idea to remove Isreal from the Amazon book shelf. Any sympathy I once had for the country has been blasted away. If you're going to attack your neighbours do it on the ground to limit casulaties and numerous innocent civilians.

:mad:

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 4:09 pm

Carletta wrote:If you're going to attack your neighbours do it on the ground to limit casulaties and numerous innocent civilians.

Would Hezbollah and the Palestinians themselves only attack on the ground if they had an air force as well equipped as the Israelis?

Plavt.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 8:18 pm

hey I've got a more interesting poll - what's been your experiences with Amazon orders coming in to Sing, does your package get scrutinuzed, your DVDs get charged, duty added, etc?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 9:18 pm

Where's the link to the data proving that amazon forced publishing contracts to end. WHERE ON EARTH do you even think that Amazon has that much power? They're a glorified bookstore, not a censorship bureau like you may have in Israel.

The OP quite clearly stated the they forced the postion on a subsidiary. Quite within their power.

A few days later, Amazon forced its subsidiary Booksurge to terminate publishing contract with Shoher whose book is now available for download from www.samsonblinded.info.

My chosen answer was not there, which would have been: Amazon are quite within their rights to sell or not sell any legal publication they want.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Wed, 02 Aug 2006 7:58 pm

EADG wrote:hey I've got a more interesting poll - what's been your experiences with Amazon orders coming in to Sing, does your package get scrutinuzed, your DVDs get charged, duty added, etc?

Well, it's a minor scrutiny, if anything.

As for packages, you'll get duty if the cost is more than 400SGD. I recommend vPost, they're great with Amazon parcels.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett

sene
Regular
Regular

Postby sene » Thu, 03 Aug 2006 8:59 pm

Plavt wrote:
Carletta wrote:If you're going to attack your neighbours do it on the ground to limit casulaties and numerous innocent civilians.

Would Hezbollah and the Palestinians themselves only attack on the ground if they had an air force as well equipped as the Israelis?

Plavt.

I think if that was the case we would not have many wars in the Middle East. It will be a deterent for both sides .. and it will encourage both sides to talk to each other. ... perhaps we may not even have suicide bombers. :roll:

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 07 Aug 2006 6:21 pm

sene wrote:
I think if that was the case we would not have many wars in the Middle East. It will be a deterent for both sides .. and it will encourage both sides to talk to each other. ... perhaps we may not even have suicide bombers. :roll:

Misguided is the kindest comment I could offer here. Encourage both sides to talk and eradicate suicide bombers that really is living in a fantasy.

Plavt.

Ice Pirate

Postby Ice Pirate » Sat, 12 Aug 2006 11:54 am

The Israeli government is finally doing like it should. Doing the Teddy Roosevelt thing... Speaking softly, but really carrying a big stick.

Cheers!
Ice

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 12 Aug 2006 4:05 pm

Ice Pirate wrote:The Israeli government is finally doing like it should. Doing the Teddy Roosevelt thing... Speaking softly, but really carrying a big stick.

Finally? :o So what do you call 1948, 1967, 1973 and 1982? You can call Israelis lots of things, but "pushover" is not on the list...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Sat, 12 Aug 2006 6:21 pm

Ice Pirate wrote:The Israeli government is finally doing like it should. Doing the Teddy Roosevelt thing... Speaking softly, but really carrying a big stick.

Cheers!
Ice

The only result this whole offensive will have is to severely strengthen the number of young kids joining Hezbollah. There are already volunteers from Iran, Indonesia, etc all willing to become suicide bombers vs. Israel.

- Terry Pratchett

Ice Pirate

Postby Ice Pirate » Sat, 12 Aug 2006 8:13 pm

There are already volunteers from Iran, Indonesia, etc all willing to become suicide bombers vs. Israel.

I say send em over! They will be fodder for the cannon.

Finally? Surprised So what do you call 1948, 1967, 1973 and 1982? You can call Israelis lots of things, but "pushover" is not on the list...

Pushovers? Nope. But they had fallen to the pressure of the do-gooders out there. They should have killed Yasser Arafat when they had the chance. Now the PLO is a legitimate government. Hezbollah will be the same way soon enough if the IDF doesn't eliminate them.

I know that Singapore has alot of Muslims. I do not hate them, I just dislike the ones who want to wipe out everything that isn't Islamic.

Cheers!!
Ice