Singapore Expats

Chinese immersion for kids

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
pltk

Chinese immersion for kids

Post by pltk » Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:21 am

Anyone know of Chinese immersion kindergartens or preschool? I am looking for a program for my daughter, preferably toward the west side of Singapore. I would like something where Chinese is the primary language, rather than a 30 or 60 minute lesson each day. Thanks.

Bob Cerowski

Post by Bob Cerowski » Wed, 26 Jul 2006 6:38 am

Hey there,

Some International School have dual-languge Mandarin lessons - can't remember which - but phone around and see what they offer.

Alternatively - register them in the local system - contact the Ministry of Education - www.moe.gov.sg - and find which is the local Chinese school. Be prepared for rigidity and major cultural shock - but a child who becomes fluent fast in Mandarin.

Finally - consider after-school lessons. A lot of Japanese parents enrol their children in English-international schools and go to Japanese lessons after school. I'm sure you could find chinese immersion classes at a private language centre.

Good Luck!

pltk

elaboration

Post by pltk » Wed, 26 Jul 2006 9:12 am

My daughter already has a "tutor" (better read babysitter) from Mainland China who plays with her several times a week for a few hours at a time. Since she is starting pre-school, I would like to find a program that is primarily in Chinese (most I have checked out are primarily English with some Chinese added). At the moment, my daughter's Chinese listening is not bad (for a 3 year old) but she refuses to use Mandarin much, so I would like to get her in a situation where she has to use it more and has fun using it with other kids and teachers (I speak Chinese, but not fluently--our home language is English. Most of the kids in our area have excellent English, hence they default to English when playing with my daughter.)

Therefore, I would like to find a preschool program that is Chinese focused. The only ones I have found so far are toward the city center and we live out west in the Jurong area. I am as interested in local school programs as "expat" programs. Many of the local schools are quite good, particularly at the lower levels before the exam competition starts to influence the kids' lives and we tentatively plan to stay with the local school system when she starts primary. I assume there are such schools, just having a hard time tracking them down.

workingmum

Chinese

Post by workingmum » Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:59 pm

I heard that there is a Chinese International School (from China) setting up a school in Singapore recently. You may want to check out.

I also want to know what is the cost for hiring some one on hourly basis to play with your kid? I am interested in finding one. Any advice pls email to [email protected]

sngsingapore

Post by sngsingapore » Thu, 17 Aug 2006 3:23 pm

Hi Pltk,

I am in the same situation. just enrolled my 26 month old in daycare 3 times per week but I would prefer all mandarin daycare and can't seem to fine one. If you do fine one, please share info. we are in upper bukit timah.

thanks,
Sandra
[email protected]

chinese4uall

Chinese Immersion For Kids

Post by chinese4uall » Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:38 am

Hi, there is a ChineseUnite International School. Not sure what it is about but you may like to find out.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Chinese

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:28 pm

workingmum wrote:I heard that there is a Chinese International School (from China) setting up a school in Singapore recently. You may want to check out.

I also want to know what is the cost for hiring some one on hourly basis to play with your kid? I am interested in finding one. Any advice pls email to [email protected]
In case anybody is interested in Chineseunited here is the main page URL: http://www.cuis.com.sg/

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sngsingapore

Post by sngsingapore » Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:08 pm

thanks, Iam just checking out the website now. It looks like my son needs to be 3 years old for entrance. Does anyone know of a childcare center eqivalent?

thank,
sandra