Singapore Expats

How much do ladies expect the engagement ring to be?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Singja

How much do ladies expect the engagement ring to be?

Post by Singja » Sun, 23 Jul 2006 4:14 pm

Aside from the price, what about type? (e.g. design, diamonds, other precious stones?)

I heard that in some countries the price of the ring can come as high as three times the pay of the guy's monthly salary. Is that a must?

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Sun, 23 Jul 2006 7:33 pm

I had heard something along that line, a long time ago. Personally, I think if you purchase a ring which you can afford and like or think she will, that is fine. Why blow your budget on a ring which she may not enjoy? Or go together to pick it out...of course having an idea on your budget before you go. Obviously, if you are in love with your girl and you have talked this over with her, she will understand.

I just celebrated my 19th wedding anniversary, I don't have an engagement ring. I wear a wedding band and an eternity ring which my husband gave me after the birth of our first child 16 years ago. Good luck!

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Tue, 25 Jul 2006 2:30 pm

Go and buy it with her after you explain your budget and that any greed on her part will ultimately affect your future life togethor and the size of the wedding. A ring is only a ring lah. Don't waste your savings power on soemthign that she may not liek and that you can never get your money back on.

Expensive rings are for people who can afford to buy them and are not a must for everyone. Just have a conversation with her. If its a suprise proposal then buy something nice and within your buget such that you can change it later if she don't like it. Better yet ask her Mom or her friends what she would like or take them with you to buy it.

Personally I would propose with a nice coloured stone set in diamonds on a white gold band ring and concerntrate on the wedding ring which you can pick togethor.
Be Like Water

Oriental
Regular
Regular

Post by Oriental » Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:42 pm

You don’t say anything about your budget so assuming it’s not peanuts I’ll go ahead with my recommendation.

Buy a stone from a diamond trader. The stone should be at least 1 carat, flawless, colourless and cut to perfection. A stone like that will most likely keep its value if you have bought it at plus/minus market price. You may even see the value of the stone increase over time.

For a top quality diamond of 1+ carat be prepared to pay around S$20,000.

After you have bought the diamond you can have it fitted in a ring for your wife to be. White gold or platinum would be a good choice.

Most of the crap diamonds in the jewellery you find in jewellery stores are not worth even a fraction of the price they charge.

But on the other hand most women get high on diamonds regardless of the 4 C’s as long as it is given to them out of love. :wink:

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Thu, 27 Jul 2006 4:36 pm

If you could not openly talk about finances, seriously, I think you need to go back to Square 1.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 27 Jul 2006 7:44 pm

Oriental wrote:Buy a stone from a diamond trader. The stone should be at least 1 carat, flawless, colourless and cut to perfection. A stone like that will most likely keep its value if you have bought it at plus/minus market price. You may even see the value of the stone increase over time.
Rather unlikely, given the alarming cracks in DeBeers' monopoly and the non-cartel diamonds now pouring out of Russia, Canada and Australia, not to mention several companies that are now making synthetic diamonds indistinguishable from the real thing. I'd go for a ruby instead, but fortunately I'm not in the market :cool:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Fri, 28 Jul 2006 4:24 pm

Oriental wrote:You don’t say anything about your budget so assuming it’s not peanuts I’ll go ahead with my recommendation.

Buy a stone from a diamond trader. The stone should be at least 1 carat, flawless, colourless and cut to perfection. A stone like that will most likely keep its value if you have bought it at plus/minus market price. You may even see the value of the stone increase over time.

For a top quality diamond of 1+ carat be prepared to pay around S$20,000.

After you have bought the diamond you can have it fitted in a ring for your wife to be. White gold or platinum would be a good choice.

Most of the crap diamonds in the jewellery you find in jewellery stores are not worth even a fraction of the price they charge.

But on the other hand most women get high on diamonds regardless of the 4 C’s as long as it is given to them out of love. :wink:
I still think its only about love and as such measuring your affection by the size of your carat is purely superficial and will not lead to any real meaning. Sure, if you have lots of money buy that expensive ring but it does'nt really men anything and I would suggest if iut does mean something to your future wife you should think twice before givign her anything (including the time of day).
Be Like Water

phantom_brave

Post by phantom_brave » Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:42 pm

when she really care about you and expect you to be his long time partner in marriage, i dont think that will be really matter for her.

but as for you the man, the one who will buy it... dont be stingy... there no such thing called the lowest or highest limit for the price.. as long as it reasonble... dont threw all your money into your engagemant ring. especially if it cost you a car or even a wedding. be reasonable, but dont get stingy.

if later when you gave her the ring and she found out that it's not your 3 months salary price, and she get upset bout it.... its a sign for you to ask back the ring, and find a new girl that want it

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 01 Aug 2006 1:37 am

Try to find out what your SO like. It never fails to amaze me when the guys blew a few months salary on wedding/engagement rings. Not every girl is into jewelry. I never get turned on by jewelry and a big stone would be wasted on me. However, I do see many women out there who are thrilled by the sight of diamonds and such.

I do like pearls though :) .

joelle

Post by joelle » Sat, 05 Aug 2006 7:26 pm

Sinja

Its not very often now that engagement rings are 3(?) x a guys salary

In the UK it used to be 1 months salary but that hasn't been followed for years.

At the end of the day:

a) you can't usually go wrong with diamonds but its all personal choice
b) I hated shopping for my ring without a budget being set

The ring is a token of love not a show of how much money was spent