Singapore Expats Forum

Moving Expenses

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

kc_phil

Moving Expenses

Postby kc_phil » Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:35 pm

Hi Gang.

I am negotiating a deal with a firm to move to Singapore.

I am curious about relocation expenses. I am moving from the dead center of the United States.

I don't plan on bringing much of anything beyond personal items. No furniture, cars, electronics etc. I am a single man with no family, i could probably make due with a suitcase or two of clothes.

Is there a rule of thumb about how much firms will generally offer for international moves?

Input & experience would surely be appreciated. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Moving Expenses

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Jul 2006 1:09 pm

kc_phil wrote:Hi Gang.

I am negotiating a deal with a firm to move to Singapore.

I am curious about relocation expenses. I am moving from the dead center of the United States.

I don't plan on bringing much of anything beyond personal items. No furniture, cars, electronics etc. I am a single man with no family, i could probably make due with a suitcase or two of clothes.

Is there a rule of thumb about how much firms will generally offer for international moves?

Input & experience would surely be appreciated. :)

Hi kc_phil, welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure quite what you are getting at, if all you need are two suitcases what relocation expenses are you referring to aside from airfares? As far as what firms are willing to pay - could be nothing (you want the job or not! type of thing) or international shipping, moving, clearances, the works.

Are you a home-owner in the US? Living with parents? Renting? Has your accumulation of material things reached a point that you will have to store the stuff? This is also something to consider.

I came here from Louisiana in 1982. I arrived here single, with a contract in my briefcase via "Telex" and one large suitcase. That was it. I didn't need any more. I had a massive garage sale before leaving and what I didn't sale I moved to my farm in Maryland prior to coming here.

There is no rule of thumb when it come to international moves. It's whatever you can get. If you're happy with it - great. If not try dickering, if it don't work, you still have to make a decision. Try asking yourself this. "Will I take the job if I have to pay my own way to achieve my own desires?"

Of course, wait until some High Rollers on this forum get this and you may get another story. (but without being married, having children, etc., etc., ........)

sms

Godmode

Postby Godmode » Mon, 24 Jul 2006 5:54 pm

Hi Mate,

I relocated along with my wife in May06 and my company (investment bank) covered all the cost. The upper limit was USD10000.

Hope that helps.