Singapore Expats Forum

Is it Easy to Change Jobs once you have an EP?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
The Club Residences

onthemove

Is it Easy to Change Jobs once you have an EP?

Postby onthemove » Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:51 am

I have an EP and have been in my new job for 1 month - I am not happy and am looking to apply to another Company in the same Industry - can this be done? or is there a minimum time you musy stay with the Company who sponsored you?
Many thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Is it Easy to Change Jobs once you have an EP?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:54 pm

onthemove wrote:I have an EP and have been in my new job for 1 month - I am not happy and am looking to apply to another Company in the same Industry - can this be done? or is there a minimum time you musy stay with the Company who sponsored you?
Many thanks

Don't think it's a problem per se as long as the new company is willing to sponsor your EP. However, as the new employer, I'd be looking to replace you even as I hired you unless you have a very valid reason for leaving a company after one month (not even time to absorb that company's culture).

Not trying to be antagonistic here, but as a long time recruiter and current HR manager this is my viewpoint.

sms

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Thu, 27 Jul 2006 4:39 pm

From what I heard, it's not as hard as "before", but personally I think it's quite troublesome.
If it's totally unbearable where you are right now, e.g. firm going belly up like my first employer did, get your PR first before moving on.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 27 Jul 2006 7:31 pm

riversandlakes wrote:From what I heard, it's not as hard as "before", but personally I think it's quite troublesome.
If it's totally unbearable where you are right now, e.g. firm going belly up like my first employer did, get your PR first before moving on.

Even if it's "totally unbearable", you're suggest that he stay on for as long as several years anyway? :shock:

I agree that PR is a very good thing to have, but it takes a while to get. And until you have it, employers will be reluctant to hire anybody who requires the whole EP hassle, although the virtues of being in Singapore already and already deemed acceptable once by MOM do reduce the barrier a bit.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Fri, 04 Aug 2006 2:26 pm

Hey, financial safety first! :D

jpatokal wrote:
riversandlakes wrote:From what I heard, it's not as hard as "before", but personally I think it's quite troublesome.

Even if it's "totally unbearable", you're suggest that he stay on for as long as several years anyway? :shock:

I agree that PR is a very good thing to have, but it takes a while to get. And until you have it, employers will be reluctant to hire anybody who requires the whole EP hassle, although the virtues of being in Singapore already and already deemed acceptable once by MOM do reduce the barrier a bit.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.

But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Sat, 05 Aug 2006 8:14 am

Chngaing jobs just like in your own country.

Just be aware that on an EP they withhold your last pay check against taxes owed until the tax dept can clear you which can take soem time (2 months once for me) whihc can really screw you up if you are budgeting or financing a project.
Be Like Water

lince83

Postby lince83 » Mon, 07 Aug 2006 9:47 am

Bafana wrote:Chngaing jobs just like in your own country.

Just be aware that on an EP they withhold your last pay check against taxes owed until the tax dept can clear you which can take soem time (2 months once for me) whihc can really screw you up if you are budgeting or financing a project.

can i know how do you know whether the tax dept is cleared and how much are u being tax for?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Aug 2006 4:19 pm

lince83 wrote:
Bafana wrote:Chngaing jobs just like in your own country.

can i know how do you know whether the tax dept is cleared and how much are u being tax for?

Maybe this will help.

Frequently asked questions on Tax Clearance

sms