Singapore Expats Forum

employment in the IT industry

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

rudy

employment in the IT industry

Postby rudy » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 9:34 pm

Hi, a malaysian friend of mine is looking to work in singapore. he is in the IT security line. does anyone have any experience with the work permit or employment pass process. i guess a lot of companies would prefer not to hire non-singaporeans due to the fee they have to pay. have heard thou that this fee is waivered if the employer earns 3K or more. is this true? not sure on the status of IT security in singapore.

any enlightment is much appreciated

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:46 pm

It is not about the fee... because it is only about $35 per year.

The real catch is this: The company must be able to show that they cannot find the necessary talent within the Singaporean job seekers. When it comes to IT there are very many qualified Singaporeans... hence, if you are looking for entry level, or even experienced, technical jobs, an EP will be very hard to get.

If you have specialized skills, such as SAP, IP telephony, etc, or you have specific industry knowledge, you will have a better chance.

rudy

cheers

Postby rudy » Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:13 pm

wow, him working here seems even less likely now. thanks for that thou.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Thu, 27 Jul 2006 4:43 pm

I think security is still hot nowadays. Go through the .sg jobsites. Recruitors are there.
Your task is to find a job, EP costs or what not is a no-event ;-) It'll all be taken care of. Real firms don't charge you for the S$35.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.