Singapore Expats Forum

Recent Earthquakes

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Patrick777
Regular
Regular

Recent Earthquakes

Postby Patrick777 » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 6:53 pm

Did the recent earthquakes have any effect in Singapore? On the map it looks quite close but just asking ? I was in Phuket with the wife for the Tsunami and she's a little put off by the Java and the recent earthquakes etc in the Area!

Benzene

Re: Recent Earthquakes

Postby Benzene » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 8:46 pm

Patrick777 wrote:Did the recent earthquakes have any effect in Singapore? On the map it looks quite close but just asking ? I was in Phuket with the wife for the Tsunami and she's a little put off by the Java and the recent earthquakes etc in the Area!

Don't need to worry, Singapore is a blessing shiny red dot. :wink:

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 9:18 pm

Try reading this info from the NEA here in Singapore...

http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=1199
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 9:22 pm

Patrick777

The recent ones were too deep to affect us here. However about 1~3 times a years we will feels swaying of highrise buildings (actually more like swaying of hanging lights and occasionally a wee bit more). Quite minor but for someone who spent 40 years on the water I tend to not really notice. It's felt usually only in Bedok / East Coast area. Don't think there's ever been any damage except to landlubbers imaginations about how badly the building was swaying and how queesy in the stomach they felt. Nothing to worry about. Even Tsunami's would only be able to strick the island if they originated in the Natuna Sea area as all other side are protected by other landmasses.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Sat, 22 Jul 2006 8:54 am

I feel tremors in my apartment all the time - The marine clay seems to be a very good conductor for sesimic activity.
Be Like Water

Patrick777
Regular
Regular

Cheers for the info

Postby Patrick777 » Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:35 pm

Very helpful, I didn't think it was going to be an issue I was just wondering!