Singapore Expats Forum

Information on Permanent Residence

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

edithksan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 15 Jun 2010
Location: Yangon

Landed PR/eligibility

Postby edithksan » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 9:55 am

Hi, i m new to the forum.
I am interested in applying LPR in singapore, viewing to get PR later on. Anyone has experience, or known someone who is holding LPR in Singapore?, Below is a briefinfo about me.

(1)42 yr old, studied and earned MBA from Australia in 2002

(2) living in Myanmar,and self -employed

I would appreciate any info and advice.

lsang
lsang

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35123
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:42 am

This is the way for Landed PR.....

http://www.smcmc.com/immigration/immigration.html

kiwigirl08
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 05 Jul 2010

Postby kiwigirl08 » Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:27 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:Give yourself two year exact before you reapply again. 2 years is the standard.
Same goes to your GF.. There are many rejections recently
Be patient as this is NOT the good time to apply for PR with the election looming

MS


When do you think would be a better time to apply? I'm a SPR, living and working in Singapore for 2 years now. Recently I sponsored my husband's PR application but he got rejected. My husband is currently not residing in Singapore. Is this one of the reasons why his application was rejected? We want him to relocate to Singapore as soon as possible but it seems so difficult to get a job in his field (he's a financial consultant for Overseas Development Agency projects). So many jobs require PR status. Do you have any advice for us? Many thanks.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35123
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Jul 2010 11:33 pm

Bring him over on a LTVP. Until he finds a job, his chances of PR are downright slim. At least on an LTVP he will be able to wear down shoe leather and might eventually secure employment. Although, without suitable qualification it might be hard, but he'll have a better chance if he's here.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:32 am

kiwigirl08 wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:Give yourself two year exact before you reapply again. 2 years is the standard.
Same goes to your GF.. There are many rejections recently
Be patient as this is NOT the good time to apply for PR with the election looming

MS


When do you think would be a better time to apply? I'm a SPR, living and working in Singapore for 2 years now. Recently I sponsored my husband's PR application but he got rejected. My husband is currently not residing in Singapore. Is this one of the reasons why his application was rejected? We want him to relocate to Singapore as soon as possible but it seems so difficult to get a job in his field (he's a financial consultant for Overseas Development Agency projects). So many jobs require PR status. Do you have any advice for us? Many thanks.


Question I would ask

How long you been married for?

In which country is your Husband from? (might be obvious I know)

Is Husband currently working?

kiwigirl08
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 05 Jul 2010

Postby kiwigirl08 » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 8:11 pm

@Saint: Thanks for your advice.

Sorry for this late reply - I've been away for 2 months.

Re your questions:

-We've been married for over one year

-We're both from Vietnam

-My husband is currently working as a financial consultant/ specialist in Hanoi. He got a MBA from University of Hawaii but his undergrad qualification is granted by Vietnam.



@sundaymorningstaple: Thanks for your advice. We've been searching for a job for a while now but it seems so hard cause all good ones are intended for citizens & PRs -not sure if he'll stand a better chance if he's on a LTVP?

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1495
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 8:47 pm

kiwigirl08 wrote:@Saint: Thanks for your advice.

Sorry for this late reply - I've been away for 2 months.

Re your questions:

-We've been married for over one year

-We're both from Vietnam

-My husband is currently working as a financial consultant/ specialist in Hanoi. He got a MBA from University of Hawaii but his undergrad qualification is granted by Vietnam.



@sundaymorningstaple: Thanks for your advice. We've been searching for a job for a while now but it seems so hard cause all good ones are intended for citizens & PRs -not sure if he'll stand a better chance if he's on a LTVP?



SMS has asked your husband to be on a LTSVP because it will give him a longer Visa for him to seek a job in Singapore while residing with you in Singapore. That is the only reason asking him to be on a LTSVP.

If he has good experience and degree he should be able to get a decent job here but securing an EP from MOM might not be so easy. (His new employer must be able to justify to MOM the need for hiring him rather than a local talent).

For LTSVP approval you have to show documents to the ICA that you can support him financially.

Good Luck !

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Mon, 30 Apr 2012 5:17 pm

Sorry for bumping up this old thread. I have a quick question regarding NOA and PR application.

As we already know, ideally, one should have 3 NOAs to be considered for PR application but what if an applicant has 3 NOAs (from 2 employments) but two of them is not liable for income tax (due to the 183-day rule at time of filing for each YA)?

Does it have any implication on PR approval?

Or should one wait to have 3 NOAs which are liable for income tax instead before considering to apply for better chances?

I find this rather interesting as I have not met anyone in this situation. Tried looking for threads that discussed it (and also ICA's website) but I couldn't find so if you guys know of any, please point me to that direction. Thanks!

Note: I am one step closer in contacting ICA, just to throw that question about such NOAs, if let's say we have no solid answer about it. :mrgreen:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35123
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Apr 2012 5:39 pm

NOA doesn't necessarily have to have a tax liability. Just three tax years. In theory you could well be here for only 26~27 months years but span three tax years.

Liun
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 12 May 2014

PR

Postby Liun » Mon, 12 May 2014 4:38 pm

Hi everyone :)
Im currently a student pass holder and i have been living in Singapore for 10 years. I really wish to become a PR here.
Any kind soul out there pls advice me on how
Thank you :)

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5676
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 12 May 2014 7:31 pm

Liun wrote:Hi everyone :)
Im currently a student pass holder and i have been living in Singapore for 10 years. I really wish to become a PR here.
Any kind soul out there pls advice me on how
Thank you :)


Fill out the ICA forms you dimwit.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35123
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 May 2014 7:55 pm

You'll have to pardon PNGMK, he's our resident Christian. :?

WriteUpBiz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 11 Apr 2015

Re: Information on Permanent Residence

Postby WriteUpBiz » Sat, 11 Apr 2015 11:06 am

At the moment I am contemplating on relocating to Singapore from the United States. My profession is that of a freelance writer, which means I'm in business for myself. Would I be awarded an Employment Pass (EP)? I did know of a fellow U.S. freelance writer currently living and writing in Singapore. Too bad I lost contact with her. At any rate, I can't find any answers regarding those expats who are self-employed. Please let me know exactly what I will need to know beforehand. Your forum is truly a wealth of information. Thank you very much fro your time and assistance.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11062
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Information on Permanent Residence

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 11 Apr 2015 12:49 pm

WriteUpBiz wrote:At the moment I am contemplating on relocating to Singapore from the United States. My profession is that of a freelance writer, which means I'm in business for myself. Would I be awarded an Employment Pass (EP)? I did know of a fellow U.S. freelance writer currently living and writing in Singapore. Too bad I lost contact with her. At any rate, I can't find any answers regarding those expats who are self-employed. Please let me know exactly what I will need to know beforehand. Your forum is truly a wealth of information. Thank you very much fro your time and assistance.


You don't get "awarded" an EP. An _employer_ applies for an EP on the basis that you possess skills/knowledge that locals do not, and if the government agrees, you get your EP, otherwise, you get nothing but a sayonara.

Go to the Business forum and read the main threads about the Entprepass. Then, go to the Careers forum and read the threads about starting a business and the LOC. You'll get a sense of what it takes.

In general, unless you are a hell of a free lance writer with a reputation any Singapore gahmen official would love to tout as "Singaporean", you'll face a lot of uphill sledding. Not saying it can't be done, am saying read the threads above to see what it takes to qualify as an individual business man, determine if you have the cred, and get back to us with more questions.

FWIW, an EP is a totally different animal from permanent residence... and don't worry... unless you have beau coup dough squirreled away somewhere, you're not going to get PR, either.

Craigc89
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 07 May 2015

Re: Information on Permanent Residence

Postby Craigc89 » Thu, 07 May 2015 7:13 pm

Hows everyone doing? I am currently living back in the UK after 7 brilliant years in Sg. I applied for PR after being in Sg around 4 years and was rejected. Now I want to move back to Singapore as my wife misses home and so do I! I was just wondering what the chances are of being accepted for PR before I have a job? (much easier to find work while im in Sg) My wife and son are Singaporean and I have spent so long in Sg in the past so I hope that helps my cause.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests