Singapore Expats

Information on Permanent Residence

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 29 Oct 2009 9:51 am

curious0ne wrote:Hi everyone,

Got a query on the application of Singapore PR for my wife.

I'm Singaporean by birth, after serving NS I got an opportunity and moved to work in the UK ever since.

My wife's a Taiwanese and I was planning to apply the Singapore PR for her as we will eventually move back to singapore.

Anyone knows what the procedures are like? We both work in the UK and hence no 'singapore payslips'. However our marriage was officially registered with ROM.

The information on the ICA website do not appear to have any information for cases like mine.

Would be grateful for any advice from anyone with similar experiences!
There's at least 2 of us on the forum who have been through exactly the same processes within the last couple of years, Littlegreenman and myself for sure and it's been quite well documented on here. Below are a couple of threads that are worth a read.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra3 ... ht=#387120

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra3 ... ht=#393268

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Fri, 20 Nov 2009 5:02 pm

A recent article in The Economist for those who are interested.

[quote="http://www.economist.com/world/asia/dis ... d=14859345"]

Singapore and immigration. A PR problem.

Immigration becomes the hot political issue in a model city-state

AT CHINA’s 60th anniversary bash last month, Zhang Yuanyuan, a China-born, permanent resident of Singapore, was caught on camera professing her love for her native country. The clip caused a storm in the island state; it was the latest sign of resentment towards incomers and evidence that immigration is becoming the city-state’s dominant political issue.

Faced with an ageing population and low fertility, Singapore’s government has long courted foreigners to plug gaps in the workforce. In 1990, citizens made up 86% of Singapore’s 3m people. Today, the share is 64% of 5m-odd. More than one in three people are foreigners (permanent residents, known as PRs, and non-residents).

In the past, immigrants were concentrated at the top or bottom of the jobs ladder, performing work that Singaporeans could not or did not want to do. Today, foreigners compete on almost every rung. Some, like geneticists, bring in useful skills. Others—it is feared—displace local skills and depress wages at the bottom.

Such fears are especially sharp during a recession. Critics say PRs enjoy the benefits of citizenship without all the responsibilities, such as national service for men (first-generation PRs are generally exempt). Immigrants are said to mix less with Singaporeans than they used to. The rise in numbers means many foreign groups have reached critical mass, producing little ethnic enclaves—the government’s bête noire. “I am Singaporean and tired of service staff who can only speak Mandarin”
a.k.a. littlegreenman

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 5:05 am

mairaj wrote:HI,

Can anyone tell me about the procedure of applying for PR after having EP for about 2 years................Please advise who to contact...
Go to ICA website www.ica.gov.sg. It will tell you alot of things you need

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 8:52 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
mairaj wrote:HI,

Can anyone tell me about the procedure of applying for PR after having EP for about 2 years................Please advise who to contact...
Go to ICA website www.ica.gov.sg. It will tell you alot of things you need
If the OP hasn't found out in the 3 years plus since posting the question at least he knows now :lol:

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 4:54 am

Hi there am Malini , Malaysian Married to a singaporean 2 years ago n now my daughter is oredi 20 month old n my PR been rejected for 4th times. I also dunno wat else can i do. But when went down to ICA i saw a bunch of CHINA Gals in their early 20's only stayed in singapore for 8monhts n got their PR . Singaporeans r only encouraging CHINESE to have lots of babies not other races. My husband to CDC west side , n our consultant told my husband' Y dun your wife go for HOPE scheme" n I only hv one kid . THIS IS NOW FAIR...[/quote]

Hey
Please DO NOT GET ME WRONG as I have employed Malaysians before and gone thru MOM and ICA thing for them. I am NOT being racist here. This is what I have gone thru.
If you are Malaysian/Malay by race, it is very much harder to get PR. This goes the same if Malaysian/Malay wants to work here unless he is a professional or highly skilled person in real need in SG. If you are other Malaysian race is easier but they are getting stricter on Malaysian application recently.
This "phenomenon" is unexplained but is true.:???:
If you are not the above, your daughter is , I believe a SGer as dad is SGer, just keep on getting DP or LTVP. From what I gather it will take about 5 years for this to approve.
BUT if you have a son then it is difference as the son is valuable in the eyes of Gahmen, your PR should be quicker.
THIS IS FROM MY OBSERVATION ALONE
Keep your chin up, life is Never Fair or else we all be contented !! Right ??

('[-o<')(':)')

chrono12000

Approved in principle PR or EP to PR route

Post by chrono12000 » Sun, 07 Mar 2010 6:15 pm

Dear all,

I am hoping for some advice on my situation. I am a malaysian chinese holding a Master degree in Civil Eng. from national university of singapore (grad 2003) and bachelor degree from university of malaya. I am currently a senior design engineer with a consultant firm in Kuala Lumpur.

I am thinking of migrating to Singapore. I just married four months.

I am considering getting a job first in singapore and get the EP and then apply for PR after six months to one year. But this would mean i will be separating from my wife for around one year while the uncertainty of PR application. If my PR application is successful, only my wife will resign her current job in KL and join me in singapore. If PR application failed, i would have no choice to go back KL.

There is another route of getting approved in principle PR via SMC. I can apply in KL instead. But i heard the chances is lower. Plus all those tightening of immigration in singapore recently.

Regards,
CH
CH

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Approved in principle PR or EP to PR route

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 3:08 am

chrono12000 wrote:Dear all,

I am hoping for some advice on my situation. I am a malaysian chinese holding a Master degree in Civil Eng. from national university of singapore (grad 2003) and bachelor degree from university of malaya. I am currently a senior design engineer with a consultant firm in Kuala Lumpur.

I am thinking of migrating to Singapore. I just married four months.

I am considering getting a job first in singapore and get the EP and then apply for PR after six months to one year. But this would mean i will be separating from my wife for around one year while the uncertainty of PR application. If my PR application is successful, only my wife will resign her current job in KL and join me in singapore. If PR application failed, i would have no choice to go back KL.

There is another route of getting approved in principle PR via SMC. I can apply in KL instead. But i heard the chances is lower. Plus all those tightening of immigration in singapore recently.

CH
Not enough info to go around.
1. When you study here for your Masters, what kind of pass did you get ? Student pass , EP or what ?
2. Once you graduated from NUS did ICA offer you a PR status or did ICA slip in any papers to reside here.

If you have Master in Civil Engineering there are two place that are more sought after i.e OZ and NZ and good money too.

chrono12000

PR

Post by chrono12000 » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 10:04 pm

thanks mad scientiest.

"Not enough info to go around.
1. When you study here for your Masters, what kind of pass did you get ? Student pass , EP or what ?
2. Once you graduated from NUS did ICA offer you a PR status or did ICA slip in any papers to reside here.

If you have Master in Civil Engineering there are two place that are more sought after i.e OZ and NZ and good money too."

I am holding Student pass while studying full time in NUS. After finishing my master, i hv been offer a PhD place in NUS. But i give up after two months PhD study, i surrender my student pass and went back to Kuala Lumpur instead.

After i graduate, i have been offered a PR status by ICA if i got employment in singapore. I am not keen back then so i din pursue it. The letter however only effective for one year.

So after working in KL for seven years and getting married, i am interested to build my family in singapore. I know there will be challenges ahead so i am just in the planning stage. Getting PR probably one of the most important thing. If not no point building my family there.

btw my sister staying in sydney and PR australia. I prefer singapore than australia though.

any advice would very much appreciated.

regards
CH
CH

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: PR

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 3:04 am

chrono12000 wrote:
I am holding Student pass while studying full time in NUS. After finishing my master, i hv been offer a PhD place in NUS. But i give up after two months PhD study, i surrender my student pass and went back to Kuala Lumpur instead.

After i graduate, i have been offered a PR status by ICA if i got employment in singapore. I am not keen back then so i din pursue it. The letter however only effective for one year.

So after working in KL for seven years and getting married, i am interested to build my family in singapore. I know there will be challenges ahead so i am just in the planning stage. Getting PR probably one of the most important thing. If not no point building my family there.

btw my sister staying in sydney and PR australia. I prefer singapore than australia though.

Ok, you answered my question. Look, I do not say it is impossible but it will be quite hard given the fact that you decline the PR from ICA after your Masters.If you took that up you will be fast track in your PR to SG in no time. Anyway not to dwindle on what if but what's ahead
Based on current situation , you name will go back to the general roll call,
I suggest you find employment first and go from there.

Why don't you stay with your sis in OZ for a wee bit and see your situation there?
I know for a fact OZ are looking for Master Town Planners as it is short in supply and you have to have at least a Master degrees in Civil Engineering.Moreover your Masters is in NUS which is more in demand.
WOrk there for a while while your wife stay in M'sia, get the PR there, at the same time apply for SG PR too.
Your chance to get OZ PR is greater compare to SG. Then go from there.
I can assure you , your salary perks are for more greater than SG or M'sia.
I am not promoting OZ but I think this is a better option for you.
Good Luck with your pursue in your goals !! :D

louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 5:05 pm

I am worried it is getting harder and harder to get PR. I have my interview next months and is there anything I can do to increase my chances ??

My girlfriend received her rejection today. Waited about 6 month and the outcome was PR application rejected. Unfortunately my situation and background is almost exactly the same as her and fear I might get the same rejected outcome.

We are both British holding Full UK passports. We are also both citizens of HK. And both hold university degrees from Kingston London UK, and we both have passed our professional exams for Accounting associations (ACCA).

Not sure why she got rejected, just hope that I dont get rejected for the same reason too.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 5:58 pm

louy wrote:I am worried it is getting harder and harder to get PR. I have my interview next months and is there anything I can do to increase my chances ??

My girlfriend received her rejection today. Waited about 6 month and the outcome was PR application rejected. Unfortunately my situation and background is almost exactly the same as her and fear I might get the same rejected outcome.

We are both British holding Full UK passports. We are also both citizens of HK. And both hold university degrees from Kingston London UK, and we both have passed our professional exams for Accounting associations (ACCA).

Not sure why she got rejected, just hope that I dont get rejected for the same reason too.
How long have you stayed in SG b4 applying for PR for you and your GF?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 9:27 am

I am apply after a year and a half here. I am here on EP after being transfered for work.

The girlfriend had been here for a little over a year. First 6 months on social visa before finding work on a S-pass. She later then changed company's and her PR application came at the end of her old job before she changed.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 9:39 am

Give yourself two year exact before you reapply again. 2 years is the standard.
Same goes to your GF.. There are many rejections recently
Be patient as this is NOT the good time to apply for PR with the election looming

MS
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 5:04 pm

I got my PR interview next next week.

It is my first application, and it is only after 1.5years here. Should I cancel it and wait then ?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 28 Apr 2010 5:19 pm

go for it . no harm to try