Singapore Expats

Information on Permanent Residence

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Mischiefmaker

Relocation to Singapore to be with family

Post by Mischiefmaker » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 6:53 pm

Ni hao

Hey guys I am after some advice, My family already live in Singapore and my Father has been invited to become a permanent resident by the government due to his work.
I now want to move out to be with my family and help my father but am having trouble getting the correct info to guide me to a complete answer.

I am 28 and currently live in Brighton UK and am after some advice as to relocating and how to proceed with this. I am going out for a holiday in April 09 but would really like to know what is required to facilitate a permanent move. I understand I might have to complete national service but am willing to do this to be with my family.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated no matter how small you think it is.

xie xie

javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Phil

[email protected] :lol:

theveed

Re: PR issue

Post by theveed » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 9:44 pm

Pete S wrote:I currently reside in Sg on EP (employment pass). My family is on DP (dependant pass). I want to apply for PR (mostly to enroll my children in local schools and contribute to CPF assuming the US government doesn't tax me anyhow on those contributions in which case CPF doesn't help me defer taxes), but don't want my son forced into NS when he turns 18.

Now, since I know this is a sensitive topic, let me just briefly state my position clearly: My son is 1 (citizen of USA). We may stay in Sg for 20 years or 2 years (I am employed as a local - i.e. no expat contract with a time commitment). I don't know. My goal is 20, but my company may relocate me or I might get a new job or who knows. If we are here for 2 years, then I don't want my son being forced to return for NS. What if the country we move to or the one we are from (hypothetically) have mandatory NS also? How can he serve in both places? If we are here for 20 years, then NS is no problem. I don't have a problem with him protecting a country that he lives in, loves, etc. But, if he leaves Sg when he's still a child, then I do not agree with the requirement that he returns for NS.

Background (for people not familiar): If I switch to PR from EP, then my EP gets canceled along with the DPs tied to my EP. Thus, all of my family will be without immigration status unless I move them to PR, Student Pass or Long-Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP).

Okay, so, here are the questions I am faced with...

1. Can a 1-year old apply for a Student Pass so he can remain in the country and not get deported?
2. How long can he stay on a LTSVP? My understanding was that this pass was only valid for 6 months and could not be extended beyond that. What then? He has to leave and re-enter?
3. If I apply for PR for everyone in my family but him, will he be able to get PR status later down the road if we end up staying around for the 20 years I mentioned above? Would he be able to get an EP (or PR) should he return in his 30s (e.g. leaves at 6 years old and returns when he's 33)?
4. What are the long-run implications of denouncing PR (in the event that the answer to #3 is not favorable and I get him PR now)? I don't want to limit his future options. I think Sg is great and would hate to make it difficult for him to work/live here in the future should he so desire. But, he is a baby and I don't know what his future holds, so I want to keep it as flexible as possible.

I will add that the difference in benefits for Citizens and PRs seem fairly substantial. It does strike me as odd that both are required to make the same commitment, yet receive different levels of benefits. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Thanks.
Reviving this thread, hope you guys won't mind.

Hello, and i'm new here. Just like Pete, I'm on the same boat. I just applied for PR and I tagged my wife and son along with the application. My son's 5 right now and I'm OK with him serving NS as well.

But just like what Pete asked, the obligation is until he's 50, what if we decide to leave and never return to Singapore due to unforeseen circumstances or foreign re-assignment?

The site (IRAS and NS) implied severe penalties and a a large bond if one decides to leave or avoid NS.

Hypothetically, if we move (or my son gets a job) halfway across the globe when he turns 22 or something, it's highly improbable that he can get off from work annually to fulfill that duty that NS requires.

Another question, if we do renounce our PR before my son's NS age, what kind of issues will he face if he decides to return to SG in the distant future?

Thanks

jpatokal

Re: PR issue

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 01 May 2009 5:17 pm

theveed wrote:Hypothetically, if we move (or my son gets a job) halfway across the globe when he turns 22 or something, it's highly improbable that he can get off from work annually to fulfill that duty that NS requires.
If your son moves overseas after having completed full-time NS, he can (has to) apply for an Exit Permit to stay there for periods of over 6 months. While the EP is in force, he will not be called up for reservist duty.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

theveed

Post by theveed » Sat, 02 May 2009 1:04 am

jpatokal: Thanks... Also, after reading hundreds of posts about NS in this great forum, I guess if we really can't assure ourselves that we're staying here for the long haul, we should plan for a move before he turns 11, then.

Don't get me wrong, if we're have any guarantees of job security in the future, we'll most likely stay here for a couple of decades, at least, as we like it here. Realistically, though, we move around a lot and I wouldn't want to lock my son's future in SG due to NS if he does decide to choose another country to live in when he grows old.

It's his life and decision, after all, not mine, when he grows older.
<<<Free>>>
Click and Subscribe! :)

deepanshu_s

Post by deepanshu_s » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 2:08 pm

so does it mean that if you all renounce your PR before he turns 12 then there is no liability for him to do NS and is not blacklisted for life!! If thats the case then its a relief, cause my child is now 19month and i am absolutely not sure whether i should take a PR for him or keep the hassle of LTSVP and Student Pass. Myself and my wife are applying for a PR, ony concern is that we do not want to take decissions on behalf of our son.

What a pity, PRs with girl child have so much of an advantage :-D

boonyuan

Post by boonyuan » Thu, 20 Aug 2009 8:51 pm

Good day everyone!

To start off i am a Singaporean Citizen(SC) by birth, whom fell in love with a lady from Hong Kong SAR and thinking of marrying her. I know that she does not need to give up her HK SAR citizenship to gain SPR if she married me. But does she need to stay in singapore after that or is she allow to continue working in HK SAR?

And if both of us go to work in HK SAR and i gain a PR status in HK SAR, do i need to give up SC?

Thanks and really need helps here.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 1:39 am

boonyuan wrote:Good day everyone!

To start off i am a Singaporean Citizen(SC) by birth, whom fell in love with a lady from Hong Kong SAR and thinking of marrying her. I know that she does not need to give up her HK SAR citizenship to gain SPR if she married me. But does she need to stay in singapore after that or is she allow to continue working in HK SAR?
This is a grey area and we can not tell you what things are going to be like in the future. Fact is that CURRENTLY she would have to renew her re-entry permit every five years. In order to do so she has to show her income statements and CPF details. Having said that, they do currently allow spouses of PRs to re-new online while overseas with your overseas payslips. So the bottom line is although they always only emphasise Singapore Pay-slips etc., she should be able to renew even if she still lives overseas.
And if both of us go to work in HK SAR and i gain a PR status in HK SAR, do i need to give up SC?
NO! This would actually make you stateless. PR only means you are allowed to live and work there without restrictions (execept military and other sensitive areas). This has nothing to do with your citizenship. So regardless of where you are PR, you always keep your citizenship. If you were to take up HK SAR citizenship though, you would have to give up your Singapore Citizenship (which I would not recommend) as with the PR you can pretty much have the best of both worlds.

boonyuan

Post by boonyuan » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 4:40 pm

This is a grey area and we can not tell you what things are going to be like in the future. Fact is that CURRENTLY she would have to renew her re-entry permit every five years. In order to do so she has to show her income statements and CPF details. Having said that, they do currently allow spouses of PRs to re-new online while overseas with your overseas payslips. So the bottom line is although they always only emphasise Singapore Pay-slips etc., she should be able to renew even if she still lives overseas.

So she still can work in HK SAR and only require to renew re-entry permit every 5 years with her or my income statements and CPF details?. Does she and me needs to contribute to CPF if we works oversea? What if she brought a HDB flat with me, does this helps in her chances of renewing the re-entry permit?

Sorry for so many questions but really idiot in this area. Thanks in advance!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 4:58 pm

boonyuan,

Following is from the Re-Entry Permit renewal form Notes:
An applicant who obtained SPR status under the sponsorship of his/her SC or SPR spouse is required to produce their original marriage certificate and the Singapore identity card of the SC/SPR spouse.
It doesn't matter as long as she has a valid Marriage Certificate and is also able to submit/furnish your NRIC as well. You would not be required to furnish anything other than your NRIC. However, she may be required to return to Singapore if requested by the authorities.

Proof of employment and Tax returns are only necessary in the case of those persons who obtain SPR under the Professionals/Technical Personnel & Skilled Workers Scheme.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 5:08 pm

littlegreenman wrote:
boonyuan wrote:Good day everyone!

NO! This would actually make you stateless. PR only means you are allowed to live and work there without restrictions (execept military and other sensitive areas). This has nothing to do with your citizenship. So regardless of where you are PR, you always keep your citizenship. If you were to take up HK SAR citizenship though, you would have to give up your Singapore Citizenship (which I would not recommend) as with the PR you can pretty much have the best of both worlds.

This would be required if you gained PR by the PTS scheme but if gained PR by being a Spouse of a Singapore citizen, production of income and CPF statements aren't required. Just Valid Marriage Cert, IC card are required

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 5:11 pm

Ok SMS, you beat me to it, at least we both agree!

satishbhawra26

Post by satishbhawra26 » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 2:10 am

By first generation singapore PRs, does that mean the ones who made the application to be a PR? Additionally, with PR applications, does it become invalid if you do not live in Singapore for extended periods of time

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 7:31 am

satishbhawra26 wrote:By first generation singapore PRs, does that mean the ones who made the application to be a PR?
Yes.
Additionally, with PR applications, does it become invalid if you do not live in Singapore for extended periods of time
Are you talking about your application or PR status itself? For the application you must have a Singapore address for communications, at least. ICA will want a letter from your employer as well.

As for the PR itself, it never actually expires. What does expire and must be renewed is your re-entry permit... and if it looks to ICA that you are scamming the system... being a PR but not really living and working here... you won't get your re-entry permit renewed.

peterjoseph

What happens when you submit your PR documents?

Post by peterjoseph » Sat, 24 Oct 2009 3:59 pm

Heya all,

I'd like to find out what happens when you submit your PR documents at ICA during that 15 min window. Will they ask you questions? If so what kind of questions will they ask?

Cheers!

Peter

curious0ne

Post by curious0ne » Thu, 29 Oct 2009 8:30 am

Hi everyone,

Got a query on the application of Singapore PR for my wife.

I'm Singaporean by birth, after serving NS I got an opportunity and moved to work in the UK ever since.

My wife's a Taiwanese and I was planning to apply the Singapore PR for her as we will eventually move back to singapore.

Anyone knows what the procedures are like? We both work in the UK and hence no 'singapore payslips'. However our marriage was officially registered with ROM.

The information on the ICA website do not appear to have any information for cases like mine.

Would be grateful for any advice from anyone with similar experiences!
Rock and Roll!