Singapore Expats Forum

Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

gocoolrj07
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 18 Sep 2017

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby gocoolrj07 » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 8:26 pm

Need help with details about Short term visit pass. Currently my wife just resigned from her employment and in STVP , she was in S-Pass previously. Now my plan is to travel back to home country and return back in Visit pass and extend for 89 days. What is the minimum number of days after her departure I should wait to apply for Visit pass. Also is it possible to extend for 89 days given that I have a local sponsor willing to visit ICA. Please help me out in knowing more about this. Thanks in advance

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 8:45 pm

gocoolrj07 wrote:Need help with details about Short term visit pass. Currently my wife just resigned from her employment and in STVP , she was in S-Pass previously. Now my plan is to travel back to home country and return back in Visit pass and extend for 89 days. What is the minimum number of days after her departure I should wait to apply for Visit pass. Also is it possible to extend for 89 days given that I have a local sponsor willing to visit ICA. Please help me out in knowing more about this. Thanks in advance
There is no magic number.

That her husband is here will be in her favour when coming back.

One week and back, as long as you are with her on return should suffice.

Local sponsors etc don't carry weight unless it is a spouse or sibling or parent.

What passport do you hold?

gocoolrj07
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 18 Sep 2017

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby gocoolrj07 » Tue, 19 Sep 2017 5:08 pm

ecureilx wrote:
gocoolrj07 wrote:Need help with details about Short term visit pass. Currently my wife just resigned from her employment and in STVP , she was in S-Pass previously. Now my plan is to travel back to home country and return back in Visit pass and extend for 89 days. What is the minimum number of days after her departure I should wait to apply for Visit pass. Also is it possible to extend for 89 days given that I have a local sponsor willing to visit ICA. Please help me out in knowing more about this. Thanks in advance
There is no magic number.

That her husband is here will be in her favour when coming back.

One week and back, as long as you are with her on return should suffice.

Local sponsors etc don't carry weight unless it is a spouse or sibling or parent.

What passport do you hold?


Holding Indian passport, say if we depart Singapore on Oct 11th . When it would be wise to apply for a visit pass. So that she can return back on 23rd Oct. Also I read that we are eligible to extend the visit pass only once during the visit. So in order to get 89 days of stay I should extend initially by visiting the ICA directly with the sponsor?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 19 Sep 2017 7:57 pm

gocoolrj07 wrote:Holding Indian passport, say if we depart Singapore on Oct 11th . When it would be wise to apply for a visit pass. So that she can return back on 23rd Oct. Also I read that we are eligible to extend the visit pass only once during the visit. So in order to get 89 days of stay I should extend initially by visiting the ICA directly with the sponsor?


Indian passport holders may have tough time extending visa, based on what I have seen.

From what I know, even if you go with sponsor (??? Who is this sponsor???) not likely beyond another 30 days

ICA will recommend initial online extension, and no visits to ICA unless the person is closely related to you.

89 days including the initial 30 days works if YOU, as spouse, is a PR or SC.

Since you hold Indian passport Be prepared if the initial extension itself is rejected.

Try to work on plan B.

DP, or another job...

Honest reply

BillMc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 13 Nov 2017

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby BillMc » Tue, 14 Nov 2017 7:40 pm

How many time can we stay there without passport ? :-k

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 14 Nov 2017 8:04 pm

BillMc wrote:How many time can we stay there without passport ? :-k
Where ?

What talking you ?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 14 Nov 2017 10:18 pm

BillMc wrote:How many time can we stay there without passport ? :-k


Zero time.

BillMc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 13 Nov 2017

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby BillMc » Fri, 17 Nov 2017 11:59 am

I misspelled lol :???: I wanted to ask how long during the visa-free period?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 17 Nov 2017 12:32 pm

BillMc wrote:I misspelled lol :???: I wanted to ask how long during the visa-free period?


What passport do you hold?

marketer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 31 Jan 2018
Contact:

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby marketer » Wed, 31 Jan 2018 5:43 pm

All foreign visitors must ensure that they meet or possess the following entry requirements stated by the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA). New Zealand passport holders do not require a visa to enter Singapore for business or for social visit purposes.

lordvoldemort1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2018

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby lordvoldemort1 » Mon, 09 Jul 2018 2:50 am

Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum and would like advice in my case. I am from India and moving to Singapore for job as a Software Engineer. I am being offered SGD5500 monthly in my offer letter. According to my employer, they had applied for E-Pass but since it was not given, I am being issued IPA for S-pass. The issue is that on IPA my salary is mentioned SGD6000 instead of SGD5500. I enquired with my employer. She told me that they have requested correction from the ministry which might take around 2-3 weeks. Meantime, IPA is still valid and I can use it to come to Singapore as it is already approved.
Now, I have three questions :
1) Is it normal (usually happens) that EP is rejected, S pass can be issued. Since, my salary (SGD5500) already qualifies for minimum salary for EP approval, what could be the possible reason for rejection for EP pass?
2) Could I face any problem at immigration checkpoint due my incorrect salary mentioned in S-pass IPA ?
3) Should I wait for 2-3 weeks, and come to Singapore after getting IPA with correct salary details or can I come before that as my IPA is already approved ?

I am asking this, as this is my first time to Singapore and I am kind of a nervous after hearing deportation stories. Thanks in advance.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Jul 2018 6:01 pm

lordvoldemort1 wrote:Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum and would like advice in my case. I am from India and moving to Singapore for job as a Software Engineer. I am being offered SGD5500 monthly in my offer letter. According to my employer, they had applied for E-Pass but since it was not given, I am being issued IPA for S-pass. The issue is that on IPA my salary is mentioned SGD6000 instead of SGD5500. I enquired with my employer. She told me that they have requested correction from the ministry which might take around 2-3 weeks. Meantime, IPA is still valid and I can use it to come to Singapore as it is already approved.
Now, I have three questions :
1) Is it normal (usually happens) that EP is rejected, S pass can be issued. Since, my salary (SGD5500) already qualifies for minimum salary for EP approval, what could be the possible reason for rejection for EP pass?

There is a tick box on the EP application that basically says, "if you are found not qualified for the EP will you be willing to accept the S pass". The issue here that if the employer doesn't tick that box, then, when your EP application is rejected, you are out of luck. And, that employer cannot reapply for the S pass. You didn't apparently qualify for the EP based on your academics AND experience for the salary being offered. The online assessment tool is only there to let you know if you can "apply" for the EP or S pass. Not if you are guaranteed to get one. If you cannot get past the self-test, then you cannot even submit for consideration, let alone get a pass issued, but there is a lot more than your academics that goes into the consideration phase.

One of two things could be at play here. You were told your salary would be $5500. The employer may well have put down $6000 to better the chances of getting the pass approved. However, what they may not have told to yet, is that you will have to kick back the difference to the employer in cash every month until you both get caught and you get kicked out of the country and the employer gets a black mark for a little while. (This happens all too often here by unscrupulous employers and people willing to do anything to get a job here). My advice is if they tell you that you have to kick back, think of your future in Singapore as going to be rather shortlived and MOM has been doing a pretty good job of catching these employers. Or, they made an honest mistake. Which I doubt.

2) Could I face any problem at immigration checkpoint due my incorrect salary mentioned in S-pass IPA ?

Only if you tell them. ICA doesn't care. It is the MOM that cares.

3) Should I wait for 2-3 weeks, and come to Singapore after getting IPA with correct salary details or can I come before that as my IPA is already approved ?

You can come with the IPA as it's not an issue with ICA, but with the MOM.
You are right to be concerned, and the horror stories are real.

Personally, I would ask the employer to have the IPA corrected before you spend the money to come over here (I doubt the employer is going to reimburse you your airfare, correct?) and you really don't want to get in the middle of something like this, because if you accept the first month and kickback to the employer (he may threaten to send you back if you don't) you have just committed collusion with the employer to defraud the MOM. The odds are, the employer will threaten you and you will lose that contract, but at least you will not go to jail. Some employers here are really Not Good.


I am asking this, as this is my first time to Singapore and I am kind of a nervous after hearing deportation stories. Thanks in advance.


sms

lordvoldemort1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2018

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby lordvoldemort1 » Tue, 10 Jul 2018 3:18 pm

Hi sundaymorningstaple ,

Thanks for sharing your detailed insight.
I raised the discrepancy issue to them and now they are saying that they will provide an amendment letter signed by one of the directors of company stating that wrong salary was declared during application process which I will also have to sign.
Also, they have booked my ticket to Singapore. I didn't had to spend my money on flights.
1) Can I assume because of that letter, that kickback thing might not be in play and it might have been an honest mistake? Will it (this letter) be considered a valid proof in case I might have to show it to ICA or MOM ?
2) Since, they are saying that they have applied to MOM, for correction of salary, could it might happen, that MOM can still cancel the IPA instead of just correcting it ? Asking this coz if I am coming to Singapore on current IPA (with incorrect salary) and in meanwhile MOM decided to cancel it, I might get stuck in between.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:10 am

lordvoldemort1 wrote:Hi sundaymorningstaple ,

Thanks for sharing your detailed insight.
I raised the discrepancy issue to them and now they are saying that they will provide an amendment letter signed by one of the directors of company stating that wrong salary was declared during application process which I will also have to sign.
Also, they have booked my ticket to Singapore. I didn't had to spend my money on flights.
1) Can I assume because of that letter, that kickback thing might not be in play and it might have been an honest mistake? Will it (this letter) be considered a valid proof in case I might have to show it to ICA or MOM ?
2) Since, they are saying that they have applied to MOM, for correction of salary, could it might happen, that MOM can still cancel the IPA instead of just correcting it ?

Absolutely correct. They may be playing on your desire to come here. Unless they can show where the correction was submitted, but even then, due to the pretty big salary drop, there is always the chance that it will be rejected. Then the employer has two choices. Pay you more, e.g., $6K or try to get you to kick back. I've already warned you about that. I would not jeopardize my whole future of possibly coming to Singapore over $500. I would wait it out and if the employer doesn't want to do that, then I would assume they are not entirely above board. At least that is my feeling. And yes, the chance of MOM canceling it would definitely sway me from coming. Valid point, and a good one.

Asking this coz if I am coming to Singapore on current IPA (with incorrect salary) and in meanwhile MOM decided to cancel it, I might get stuck in between.

lordvoldemort1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2018

Re: Information on Singapore Immigration (Entry, Exit, Visa)

Postby lordvoldemort1 » Wed, 11 Jul 2018 1:28 am

Waiting for new IPA seems like logical action, rather than jeopardizing my career by coming over to Singapore, as I will be leaving a well paying job in India.
I have raised this concern to them. Lets see what happens.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests