Singapore Expats Forum

UK vs Germany!! advice needed

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

njk_mom

UK vs Germany!! advice needed

Postby njk_mom » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 3:52 pm

Hi there

I guess this would be the best forum to post my worries since there would be plenty of English and German expat here.Please kindly advice.

My husband is from Germany and I m singaporean. We have 3 kids. We have been back to spore for 8yrs and now planning to return to Europe for 'greener pasture' since his career isnt going anywhere here.

We thought about either returning to Germany,else go to UK...but I have some concerns...

kids dont speak or understand German very well... school would be a problem right?... job market in German seems not very strong now...

UK seems a better choice but not sure about what is it like living in UK and how strong is the job market there.

Can anyone please kindly advice the pro and cons?Highly appreciated.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 4:06 pm

What jobs do you do and where in the UK would you choose to live? Would your husband be happy here as standards are higher in Germany? How old are your children? What salary would you be looking for?

The UK may seem tempting since your children speak English but just possibly there are a number of things here that might put you off the idea.
Will wait for your answers.

Plavt.

njk_mom

Postby njk_mom » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 4:51 pm

Hi thanks for your reply.

My children are 12 yrs old, 6 yrs old and 9 mths old. My husband is a senior SAP consultant/project manager. We are not sure how much money would he be getting as he has been in spore for almost 9 yrs.

According to what we know from family members,Germany job market is rather weak. Although tax seems to be lower the UK but perhaps social benefits would be more?But my major concern when I thought about UK would be that cos my kids speak English and it would be easier for them

I guess which part of UK doesnt really matter.Important is,the place where the job would be at.

Please advice.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 5:59 pm

As regards your husband's job prospects the most suitable place is probably London and the surrounding area although it is quite likely there are good prospects in other parts of the country. I am told SAP engineers earn more than most in the IT industry which is buoyant at present.
Check out following;

http://www.computerweekly.com/Home/Default.aspx

Example;
http://www.computerweekly.com/Jobs/Search.aspx?sJobID=&sKeywords=SAP&liRecruiterID=&liLocationID=&liEmployerTypeID=

http://www.computerweekly.com/Jobs/Search.aspx?sJobID=&sKeywords=SAP&liRecruiterID=&liLocationID=&liEmployerTypeID=

http://www.itjobspost.com/JobSeeker/search.cfm?page=position-description&JobID=99993

I really don't know about social benefits in Germany as I have no information and have never been there. The social benefits we have are National Health Service (NHS) for which is covered by National Insurance contributions taken automatically from your wages which also goes towards unemployment/social security benefits should become unemployed or suffer sickness preventing you from working. The rules over this are too complex to put here and I certainly don't know all of them so treat this as a rough guide. Shamefully it is very difficult to find a dentist who will do NHS work and most people in work (unless you are unemployed and receiving benefit). simply pay for private treatment despite the mandatory NHS contributions although so far hospitals and doctors haven't gone the same way.

As regards schooling it may be worth considering a private school since the state school system has turned into something of a 'lottery', that is parents cannot always send children to a school of their choosing. I think a quota is set for schools and once that is reached you could find your child being sent somewhere you would rather they didn't go. No doubt you will realize this has caused a big stink among British parents but just how they would treat new arrivals in the country I don't know.

The best living areas tend to be in the surrounding areas; if you live between London and Brighton the train service is regular and runs nearly all night. So you might consider Haywards Heath, Croydon and around. There does seem to be considerable work for people in IT in the Brighton area. Avoid the inner London areas there are just too many social problems e.g. high council tax, inefficient councils, noisy neighbours, drugs, dirty streets, chaotic hospital departments, overworked police and house prices are never less than around 200K to be any use. Although you will be glad to know on your husband potential salary you will have more choice than many.

Hope this helps, I may PM you since my neighbour is a systems analyst who may have some useful information.

Plavt.

njk_mom

Postby njk_mom » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 6:25 pm

Hi mod

yes pls.Appreciate any help to obtain a job in UK... Please PM me or email me at njk_mom@yahoo.com.sg

njk_mom

Postby njk_mom » Tue, 18 Jul 2006 4:03 am

Hi Plavt

I cant PM you,it says I need to have more post in order to do this feature.Would you be able to email me?I need to ask you more info.