Singapore Expats

Spices in curry

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
thavab

Spices in curry

Post by thavab » Sat, 15 Jul 2006 5:57 pm

I love curry, especially chicken curry and the best chicken curry I ever had is the one of my mom’s cooking. I know it sounds bias but it’s the truth. She uses all kinds of spices which I feel makes the whole difference. Spices that are used in curries not only give the curry a better taste but also has medicinal value. I don’t full details on that but I would appreciate it if anybody can help me out here.

S.Thavabalan
MyEbook4u.com
I love Chicken Curry

S.Thavabalan
MyEbook4u.com

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Mon, 17 Jul 2006 8:22 pm

Well it depends what kind of spices you are using.If you are using Indian spices, then for chicken curry, you may want to use Shan Curry Powder,available at Mustafa's.

For a start, you may marinate you chicken in some yoghurt,little tandoori masala, curry powder. And refrigerate for at least an hour.

Usually after putting the pot on the stove, you put in some ghee and once ghee is hot, you may add about 6 cardamom pods, 3 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick,1 bay leave and at least some curry leaves.The main start makes a lot of difference to the curry.

Main thing is you have to stir the chicken well.

No doubt everyone usually loves mum's cooking! :wink:

Matt29

Post by Matt29 » Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:27 am

wow i love curry!!! havent really found a great place for curries yet! any recommendations! or does your mum cook for other ppl as well? hee...

Charlatan
Regular
Regular

Post by Charlatan » Wed, 19 Jul 2006 8:17 am

Ask your Mom what spices she uses... then make your own curries.

It isn't hard.

If I can do it, you can do it. (not the asking your Mom part... the making curry part).

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Wed, 19 Jul 2006 8:08 pm

hahha I think home made curry is still the best.!

thavab

Mom's chicken curry

Post by thavab » Thu, 20 Jul 2006 8:04 pm

Hei guys....txn for the replies, well i've to agree that home cook food is always better...hmm...mom uses lots of spice & sweet cummin powder...it seems thats the secret for her chicken curry + other things like how she marinates the chicken meat...she doesn't use yogurt or ghee. I like my curry really spicy so she adds chili powder too.

Thava
MyEbook4u.com
I love Chicken Curry

S.Thavabalan
MyEbook4u.com

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Thu, 20 Jul 2006 8:51 pm

I had never tried cooking curry of any kind until arriving here. I've experimented trying spices purchased from the wet market, an Indian lady who doesn't speak English. Always tastes nice, but have no idea what exactly she puts in the bag. I've also learned about making my own coconut milk from shredded coconut vs. coconut milk from a tin. Any good recipes anyone wishes to share?? :wink:

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:19 pm

what kind of recipes are you looking for ?

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 8:07 am

Sorry, I assumed since the topic was 'Spices in Curry' I would be talking about curry recipes.

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 9:25 am

well its ok.I dont think that we neccessarily need to exchange curry recipes only. If anyone is looking for any specific recipe, can always post here. HHmmm,,first of all ,in terms of curries ,I think there is a difference between North Indian and South Indian curries, it really depends which type you looking for ..

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 2:28 pm

I think you are correct about differences. My children tend no to take things too spicy, but so far like green chicken curry, ragdan (sorry for spelling), butter chicken (is that a curry?), curry puffs to begin with. Just curious to learn if there may be other curries which I haven't tried and should.

Just returned from holiday visiting my family in US and made them green chicken curry, they tried it, but I doubt if they will eat it again as it was too spicy for them. My children gobbled it up!!

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 7:55 pm

Lol, hahaha,, yeah butter chicken is nice but then again the difference is only the curry is made with butter.However, I will try to note down some good curry recipes for you ok.

Oh yes ,what is ragdan ? I only know naan,,you mean that ?? :P

thavab

Mom's chicken curry recipe

Post by thavab » Thu, 27 Jul 2006 8:45 pm

Well...not all kids can take very spicy food, but you can play around with that by not adding Chilli Powder. If you want it more spicy, then add more chilli powder. Im trying to get my mom to give me her "sambal prawn" recipe, thats even more delicious then the chicken curry, cheers friends!
I love Chicken Curry

S.Thavabalan
MyEbook4u.com

Return to “Entertainment, Leisure & Sports”