Singapore Expats Forum

what's with all the roadwork?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

what's with all the roadwork?

Postby EADG » Sat, 15 Jul 2006 1:32 am

is it because of the IMF in September? National Day? someone coming?

2:30am on a weeknight they were paving the street in front of my place, a street that didn't need any paving

every where I look in town there's fresh pavement

this happening near you?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Jul 2006 9:13 am

I didn't even notice. The roadworks have been going on non-stop since I arrived in '82. Nothing changes.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:50 am

I noticed the same thing over the past 2 -3 weeks. It certainly seems more than usual.

My question is why do they leave a patch at the bus stops, are there transponders in the road or something? Just looks funny, all black and shiny new roads except for the bus stops and their approach which are left as before but now with ugly black tar marks all over them.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 15 Jul 2006 1:54 pm

micknlea wrote:, are there transponders in the road or something?

That is quite possible; the city of Bristol here in the UK years ago attempted fitting a radar system to its buses. The idea was to track where they were at a particular time in order to improve services. For some reason the idea was eventually scrapped.

What you may be seeing is a transponder system that identifies a particular bus. In London the underground has such a system to identify the number of a train on some lines and buses are electronically tracked. A good number of bus stops in London have electronic indicators that show the number, destination and time to wait. Perhaps Singapore is introducing this.

Plavt.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:33 pm

even stranger that only days after what must have been a hugely expensive effort in all the paving that went on, but now they are digging up that brand new paving at the crossing, it appears to be something to do with transponders

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Mon, 17 Jul 2006 8:21 am

Maybe Singapore simply repaves its roadways before they need it. Unlike the US where they determine when they repave be the number of automobile rearends or number of shock obsorbers are sold.
I would actually call it preventative maintenance.