Singapore Expats

delivering in SIN

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
mom to be

delivering in SIN

Post by mom to be » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 3:41 pm

Hi there, I'm new to this board and I would like to have some info on delivering in SIN.
I just found out that I'm expecting my second child. My first one was born in my homecountry with a midwife and in my own home. I've heard that you have to go to hospital here and that a gyne has to do the delivery. My first child came very fast and easy with a natural birth, I would like to have the same here. Can anyone recommed a docter that supports natural birth with the least intervention possible? I'm living quite close to Thomson and KKH, so it would be great to have a docter there.
Does any one have any good/bad experiences with those two hospitals? And finnaly what kind of costs are we looking at in either hospital for a normal delivery and 2 night stay? We don't have mat. insurance so it would be great if we have an idea of how much a pregnancy (pre natal care) and delivery would cost.
Thanks so much for the info.

fourtrimesters

Giving birth in Singapore

Post by fourtrimesters » Sun, 09 Jan 2005 6:23 pm

I realize this is an old post so just adding some info for anyone who is looking for information.

Home births do happen in Singapore but there is only one OB who will attend them. Singapore has a very 'managed' maternity system lead by OBs not midwives. TMC is a great hospital and fairly flexible in how you birth (also depends on your Doc) they are supportive of birthplans and doulas. KK is a governent run hospital and you're quite limited in what they will let you do (ie no doulas) - birthing on the bed. The key is really to find a supportive OB who is supportive of your preferences.

OB packages run from about $1200 to about 2K and then you'll pay another 2-3K for a normal birth in hospital fees. Not sure about KK - it would most likely be cheaper as TMC is private.

Tracy
http://www.fourtrimesters.com
Nurturing birth, baby and beyond